main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Tapatalk and Forum Runner mobile apps now supported

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 3, 2012.

1. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I am pleased to announce that both popular forum apps are now available for use with the Jedi Council Forums - Tapatalk and Forum Runner!

Forum Runner - Supports iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, and Android OS devices. Forum Runner is also the app of choice of the Rebelscum.com forums. So if you use both boards, you probably want to use this one. (Note that push notifications require a separate forum runner account.)

Tapatalk - Supports iPhone, iPad, Android, and Blackberry devices. (It also has a notifier plugin for Google Chrome.)

To get the JC on your mobile device, download one of these apps. Once it's up and running, search for "Jedi Council". Don't forget to make the JC a favorite board so you don't have to search for it every time.

Cost: Both of these apps cost a few dollars to download. We don't make any money off of this - only the app developers do.

Note on Tapatalk support for the temp board: You will notice that the JC is now listed twice on the Tapatalk network. The board listed as Archive is the temp board, and will only continue to be listed on Tapatalk for a short time.

darthramza likes this.
  2. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm on Safari on iPad, and the boards look fine to me despite the occasional glitch. I can't see why I should fork out a few bucks for pretty much the same experience. Or am I overlooking something?

3. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    They're not essential--like you said, you can use your normal browser. And honestly I think an iPad is big enough to be fine with the normal boards. However, I wouldn't dare browse the boards on my iPhone without tapatalk--the streamlining of the interface and the way it handles this is much better than pinch zooming all day on a screen that small.

Debo and Grimby the Hutt like this.
  4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I was going to ask why Forum Runner was popping up. Thanks, that clears that up. And I'm glad Tapatalk is ready to go again.

5. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    As Jello said, I wouldn't bother on iPad. But for smaller devices, I would definitely try one of them out. It's also extremely cool getting push alerts on your phone every time you have a new PM.

6. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Does anyone know if forum runner supports the different tabs? Like in the JC Community so I can change between the Arena or JCC if I want?

7. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Not that I can see on my Android version. However, thread titles do contain the prefixes at the beginning, so at least you can see what they are when browsing the forum.

8. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm using Tapatalk on my iPhone now. Takes a bit to get used to, but I agree it's better than having to access the forums in Safari.

(This post is written in Tapatalk.)

9. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Tapatalk crashes when I try to view conversations. Anyone else having that problem? I'm trying to figure out if it's the app, the forum, or my phone.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

10. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Grimby the Hutt

I know Grimby uses Tapatalk. I've tagged him so he'll take a look here. I don't use it so can't help much.

11. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I've also had that problem occasionally. Specifically, what happens to me is that I'll get an alert on my phone for a new PM, I'll open it from the alert and reply, then Tapatalk will crash without sending the PM and I'll have to relaunch and type it all over again.

Are you able to confirm Xan that it doesn't happen on other Xenforo forums? I haven't been able to test it since I don't frequent any.

12. DarthXan318

DarthXan318 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 12, 2002
    Hmm, I use Tapatalk to browse other forums but I don't think they're Xenforo.

13. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I don't get any notifications. Also, the Alerts in Dashboard often don't go away after viewing.

GrandAdmiralJello likes this.
  14. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
  15. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I'm not sure what you mean by "Alerts in Dashboard". Is that Tapatalk or Forum Runner?

I notice that I don't get any notifications unless I leave Tapatalk running on my phone. Also, make sure you've double checked your notification settings for the app.

16. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm talking about Tapatalk. I've checked the notification settings, but that's not it.

17. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I also constantly have 1 or 2 alerts, regardless of whether I have viewed them or not.

Another strange problem I noticed is when I browse the SWC Cantina, the app shows 3 extra pages (all blank) after the actual page with posts. It will also go to the blank page instead of the page with posts. I have to tap the page 3 before it every time. (Ex. It sends me to 550 out of 550, I have to tap 547 to view any posts).

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    I have seen that as well. When you say you have 1 or 2 alerts, what type of alerts are they and where do you see them?

Debo, dumb question, but are you viewing the main JC forum, or the "archive" forum on Tapatalk?

19. GrandAdmiralJello

Nov 28, 2000
    I have the same issue as Debo, have always had it, and definitely still have it on the current JC. If he's using an iPhone, that might explain why we're having this issue and why you're not.

And yes, I have push notifications enabled too. Aren't getting them from tapatalk.

20. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Ah, that's a good point. I have the Android version, which so far as I can tell doesn't actually show any alerts. I just get push notifications for new PMs, though I could get them for subscribed topics as well if I had it turned on.

I'm starting to get the feeling we might be having conflicts between the two mobile apps by having them both installed. Some of these issues weren't present on the temp board.

21. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    You might try asking Grahame if he's seen the problem on RS. I think they have both Forum Runner and Tapatalk installed but their site is VB. It might be a Xenforo thing if he hasn't seen complaints.

22. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
  23. Admiral Volshe

Admiral Volshe Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    They change, depending on what was the most recent 1 or 2 alerts. So it could be a quote or like, but the little alert notification-circle is always there (even after viewing the alerts in question), either says 1 or 2.

24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    I'm using iPhone, yes. Not viewing the archive forum, but the regular one.

Obviously the app is a tad buggy. There's an option to contact Support, though.

25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm having that issue with several of the threads as well; they're showing 2-3, sometimes 4, blank pages, and then I have to go to Safari to see the most recent 2-3 posts.