main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit [Fantasy Flight Games] Because it just keeps getting better

Discussion in 'Literature' started by The Loyal Imperial, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Amphimachus

Amphimachus Jedi Padawan

Sep 7, 2012
    So do we know if we are going to see new stuff in Fantasy Flight's RPG books, or just stats for existing ships, weapons and such? In the past RPG books always seemed to be good sources of information, and I'm hoping we get more of that with the new system.

2. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    So do I. WEG constantly made the galaxy a bigger place, introducing new species and creatures and drinks and whatnot; but somehow I guess that's a thing of the past. I don't really see even FFG getting the EU out of its recursive loop...

And apropos of good WEG books, how come nobody's mentioned the Tales of the Jedi Companion yet? I used to love that one... haven't looked at it in years because it's buried somewhere in my dad's cellar, but I do have fond memories of it. Also it was the first comprehensive look at this then-new and mostly unexplored era -- back when it wasn't swamped by TOR stuff and technology that looks like it might as well be from the Clone Wars.

3. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I like how the TOTJ Companion started the retcon of how the Sith Empire kinda/sorta knew about most of the Republic and were infiltrating corporations months or years in advance, trying to get info and tech from shady business people. It goes well together with EGTW's narrative of the Sith/Republic politics of the GHW era.

As for ships and vehicles, I'm sure FFG will continue expanding and adding stuff. Usually with recent books and comics and the tv show, WOTC added more info to stuff that were first seen or described there. I'm sure the new classes from EGTW will get that treatment somewhere down the line, too.

4. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Yeah, WOTC did do a good job expanding the universe. Hell, the Legacy Era Campaign Guide added four new Galactic Alliance fighters, one new Imperial fighter, and gave class names for all known capital ships from the series. Plus they literally fleshed out the structure and organization of both the Galactic Alliance and the Galactic Alliance Remnant. One of the best guides of this nature that I can think of.

--Adm. Nick

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    There's a lesson there, as well - working with the authors that created the stories that it was based off of. WEG's interactions with Zahn certainly set the pace. Hopefully FFG will continue with working with current authors.

6. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    There seriously needs to be a thread on WEG.

7. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    Exactly. JJM worked extensively on the KOTOR guide and John Ostrander had an email correspondance with the folks that did the LECG. And in the case of WEG, Zahn, Stackpole, Tyers, and KJA all wrote quite a bit for the guides to their respective works.

--Adm. Nick

8. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    I loved how they took the recycled Clonetrooper-to-Alliance marine armor from the Rebellion comics and made them the basis for the Venom assault squads a century later. :cool:

RC-1991 and AdmiralNick22 like this.
  9. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    That’s why Sci-Fi usually goes for carrier battleships, which are just twice as awesome ;)

AdmiralNick22 and Zeta1127 like this.
  10. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
  11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    hmm more new art? any female pilots pictured yet in guidebook or cards? still wondering if this is worth it. how is the intel and lore component outside of rules? how much art is featured aside what is seen in previews?

12. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    It's all ship art. The TCG will have actual character art.

13. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    then I save my money for the card game and rpg and skip the tabletop game for now. a pity I know but I have no friends nearby to play it anyway.

14. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
  15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Hmm, I see two interceptors with red stripes. Phennir too, perhaps?

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    Works fine for me.

17. AdmiralNick22

May 28, 2003
    I really wish that they had something akin to Starship Battles. I really wish that WOTC had been able to release one or two add ons to the initial set, as the models they made are rather cool. I have the Viscount watching over my desk at home. The X-wing game looks cool, but I am not sure if it is my cup of tea.

The card game too looks to have some great art, but I have never been into card games (well, outside of Texas Hold 'em & Blackjack), so the card game holds little appeal for me outside of seeing the great pics.

The RPG will be the key for me. Again, I don't play RPG's, but I love to buy the books when they double as sourcebooks. And in that respect, I am keeping my fingers crossed!

--Adm. Nick

18. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    How much do you want to bet they played a game of poker before signing the Corellian Treaty? :p

AdmiralNick22 likes this.
  19. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Works now as well, must have been a glitch.

20. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
  21. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Those dice so need to be added to my collection. :D

22. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    I see the X-wing Miniatures are available to buy now ... being in the UK, can anyone recommend a decent seller for Fantasy Flight stuff?

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    miniature game: does it contain lore or just rules + toys? the preview versions had no lore I can recall.. so?

24. cavalier_one

cavalier_one Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2001
    Not sure to be honest. Apparently there are four unique pilots per expansion set, but I'm guessing they may be existing characters only. Whether or not the cards themselves have any lore like the CCG cards I'm not sure. I see a lot of previews, but with parts obscured.

25. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Have you tried Amazon UK? Alternatively, if you're near one of the Forbidden Planet shops you might give them a call. I know the London Megastore has a large gaming section.