main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts The Micro Series & Genndy Tartakovsky appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by GGrievous, Sep 2, 2012.

1. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    That game's story was good, but the game itself was a mess.

2. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    It's not an astonishingly great game, don't get me wrong, but it's definitely fun.

3. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    It is and every now and then I still watch it and you know what? While many back then complained about the continuity stuff between the comic book Obsession, The Labryinth of Evil novel and the micro series. In reality, they mesh quite well compared to this new series which in my own opinion has destroyed the entire clone wars franchise. They in and of of itslef made the other clone wars stuff obselete. With Darth Mual's ressurection, the retelling of the Witches, Mother Talzon and those powers to include Mother Taka and bringing the undead back, to the voodoo doll almost killed Dooku half way across the galaxy, to the mortis superlords and everything else. Those before were way better. Now we have things that no matter what Leeland chee does, they really can't mix and match becuase you have the Ashoka thing that has nevr been mentioned in other clone wars stuff plus countless other stuff.

4. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
  5. Hightower

Hightower Jedi Youngling

Apr 10, 2005
    I really liked the Micro Series. I liked it immediately. TCW had to grow on me a little, but GT did a fantastic job.

6. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    From what I've been exposed to of the SW universe (which excludes all but a handful of literary pieces), the Nelvaan bits of the microseries and the capture of Palpatine rank amongst some of the best sequences in all of Star Wars IMO.

jackg1 and Zeta1127 like this.
  7. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I always really hate how difficult of a time the Jedi have dueling robots with staffs during Palpatine's capture. I have that problem with the whole PT era including TCW, though.

8. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    I do, but I don't.

Part of me feels that the Jedi should just be able to use telekinetic Force powers to defeat them. But at the same time, that argument can be used a lot and the Jango vs. Obi-Wan fight and the Cad Bane vs. Jedi fights are no different IMO. Shaak Ti is surrounded by Magna Droids and isn't making use of the Force, well that's just problem #167 of "why didn't they use the Force in x situation?"

I've heard fan theories like using the Force can exhaust a person so they use it either to finish an easy fight, or sparingly in a long fight so as not to handicap themselves, whereas extremely powerful Force users like Yoda and Sidious can go crazy because they are just that powerful and have better stamina/mental focus.

Entirely fanon AFAIK though.

Seems to be just a plot device that works when it can move an action scene or plot forward, and conveniently doesn't work if a scene benefits from that in some way.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  9. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Obi-Wan was probably the only one smart enough to take care of them the proper way- using the environment to crush them. :p

10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    All those examples get on my nerves as well. :( I don't think they should be Supermen and Superwomen but there should be a baseline of stuff they can do with no problem, which should unquestionably include taking on robots with staffs and a dude with a jet-pack and pistol IMO.

11. Lady_Skywalker87

Lady_Skywalker87 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 4, 2008
    Agreed. This my biggest issue with Lucas...I'm not even much of a fan of EU...but it has kept the franchise alive to some extent and what's even worse he allowed it to exist in the first place....only to try to discredit it when it tickled his fancy? I admire the the man but in instance he comes across to me as aspoiled brat, and Genndy said it best:
    You have allowed people to play in your sandbox Georgie, be a nice boy and share credit for the castles they built with you.[face_peace]

Inblackestnight and Zeta1127 like this.
  12. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Grievous had tons of them on hand, they were built to fight Jedi one on one and he had a ton of them. That was their main problem along with the fact they had to defend the Chancellor and couldn't risk injuring him (Little did they know he wanted to be captured)

I also lets remember Sidious kind of muddled the Jedi's precognitive abilities

13. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    I like the Jedi to remember to use the Force too, and there are awesome moments when the Jedi use it, but I do like the fighting, the samurai action, the martial arts, and badass boxing Mace. I think more hands-on fighting is just more admirable than using magic powers or weapons. Or giant robots. Or cute little monster creatures.

Esg likes this.
  14. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    It didn't seem to me that the main problem was the quantity of robots with staffs, they seemed to have a lot of trouble taking on just one at a time.

I likes magick. :D

15. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    [​IMG]
    BRUTE FORCE FTW. =P

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
  17. HEDGESMFG

HEDGESMFG Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 20, 2010
    To be honest, I think it simply comes down to the fact that, as the creator of the franchise, George really does want total freedom with his vision. It's why the Star Trek canon makes it clear that side story material is NOT canon so future TV/movie writers can only reference it if they choose to. It means they are not at all constrained when producing new material. From a creator's POV, I can understand the appeal of it. Keeping up with the EU is a massive task for any one individual, George included.

But having said that, this is all still very frustrating because the scope of the SW canon is unique in it's scale. Never before has a sci-fi universe really attempted to unify so much multimedia material, and it's not as if George doesn't acknowledge the existence of much of it either. Many of us have raged at the issues, but the truth is that most contradictions can be avoided with a few minor changes, retcons, and redating of the events. Furthermore, most could have been avoided all together with a few character swaps, line changes, planet name changes, or avoiding careless statements in interviews (the later of which do not actually affect canon, but just PO the fanbase).

Really, I wish Leeland would sit in meetings with George, Filoni, and the writers and drop some suggestions. We'd probably get nearly the same stories in the end, but with far less issues.

18. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Lady_Skywalker87 and Esg like this.
  19. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Yup... and funny that it says "Be sure to pre-order your Clone Wars Volume II DVD from StarWarsShop today!" :p

Lady_Skywalker87 and GGrievous like this.
  20. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    If there's one thing that everyone can agree on, it is that sw.com has become a pathetic joke.

jackg1, Esg, Inblackestnight and 3 others like this.
  21. Garth Maul

Garth Maul Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 18, 2002
    Wow, I remember when Hyperspace was so irritating. Then they wanted you to sign up for SW:Insider, ugh.

22. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Hey man, before Titan took over and plunged the magazine to hell, I would've signed up. :p

23. Eternal_Hero

Eternal_Hero Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 21, 2012
    At least they post up new eps of CW for a week, free, so you can catch the show if you missed it. They don't have to do that & I'm not aware of any other series that does.

24. Inblackestnight

Inblackestnight Jedi Padawan star 1

Jan 26, 2012
    Actually a lot of shows can be watched online for free now, perhaps not on the show's own website but many shows don't have their own site; they usually piggyback off their network's. You can watch TCW on CN.com as well I believe. For example I know that aside from 3 episodes you can watch every South Park ep on CC.com for free, as opposed to 3 eps of TCW at a time.

GGrievous likes this.
  25. TaradosGon

Feb 28, 2003
    South Park is unusual though in that regard, isn't it? A lot of the web sites that allow for that kind of unrestricted viewing of a show usually seem to either require a subscription (HBOGO, Hulu Plus, Netflix), or are for shows that have had their finale (I know ABC.com made every episode of Lost available for limited time, and CBS.com offers the complete Original Series of Star Trek). South Park is the only on going show that I am aware of that is made readily accessible, pretty much in its entirety, for free. Other websites that offer full episodes, like Fox, do it more like TCW with episodes up for a limited time AFAIK.