main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Music of TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by AkashKedavra_93, Sep 4, 2012.

1. AkashKedavra_93

AkashKedavra_93 Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 8, 2011
    I didn't see a thread for this, so yeah. TCW is not "great music" but there are certainly some pieces of music that are quite enjoyable. So the purpose of this thread is to essentially discuss what pieces you like, what you don't, etc, where it added to the scene, where you think it detracts from the scene, etc.

2. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011
    I feel like the blu-ray.com clone wars movie review says it best:

Star Wars just isn't Star Wars without John Williams' Oscar-winning and now legendary score. Several times throughout Clone Wars, listeners will hear several familiar refrains, but the music has been subtly altered, the result an eye-rolling experience akin to, say, a singer taking the National Anthem and completely butchering the intended melody. The foundation is there, the nuances are not. It's not a bad score at all, really. It simply sounds out of place.

Nothing I've heard throughout the four seasons we've had so far was even remotely memorable, aside from Ventress' theme. It might as well be white noise.

Humble_Jedi likes this.
  3. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I'm sorry, but I have only once heard the Star Spangled Banner not mangled.
    Almost everyone wants to put some bluesy or folksy vibe into it because the intended notes require a wider vocal range that the performer was able to hit.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  4. Humble_Jedi

Humble_Jedi Jedi Master star 4

Oct 14, 2004
    Yeah this. The only piece I did like was the Battle of Christophsis theme from the movie.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    The music when the fighters were flying to the rescue of Obi-Wan and gang in LAPR was great!

6. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    Oh, I thought it was white noise.. :rolleyes:

It's too much like other action cartoons/movies IMO.

7. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    To me, TCW has great music. I think Kevin Kiner has managed to give music worthy of the name Star Wars, and not many people have done it aside for a couple of videogames (and unlike them, Kevin gave some original and different music, and not a rehash of Williams). I've been waiting for years for a soundtrack of the series to be released (and I hope by the end of the series we get it).

I have the soundtrack of TCW movie, and a couple of track that I really liked from it were "The Jedi Council" and "Battle of Christophsis".

CoolyFett likes this.
  8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I think Kevin Kiner has managed to give music worthy of the name Star Wars, and not many people have done it aside for a couple of videogames (and unlike them, Kevin gave some original and different music). I've been waiting for years for a soundtrack of the series to be released (and I hope by the end of the series we get it).

I have the soundtrack of TCW movie, and a couple of track that I really liked from it were "The Jedi Council" and "Battle of Christophsis".

CoolyFett likes this.
  9. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    My favorite music is the part taken from Wrath of Khan.

10. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    The one in "Cat and Mouse"?!

11. Drewton

Drewton Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 8, 2009
    That, and the second Malevolence episode.

12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    That music made Trench's episode more special in a way.

sarlaccsaurs-rex likes this.
  13. StarWarsFan91

StarWarsFan91 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 14, 2008
    I would love if we got more John Williams music right now.

It's weird, if you add non-TCW music to TCW scenes, it just makes it better.

Gladiator

BSG

Mulan

And that's just a few examples i found on youtube

14. CloneWarsRescored

CloneWarsRescored Jedi Padawan star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Hey guys! I thought I'd post some of my rescores with JW music. I will also be rescoring full episodes of Season Five! :)

My most viewed video is of course Darth Maul & Savage V Obi Wan & Asajj!

15. Convor

Feb 25, 2011
    "Our composer Kevin Kiner is so busy getting the music done for upcoming episodes that I will substitute music from the Star Wars movies as a temporary place holder on the CVI clips. These temporary music selections will occasionally influence Kevin’s final composition. We will definitely be adding more classic themes as we move forward in the series."​

AkashKedavra_93 likes this.
  16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    ???????? Source for the quote, please??? If they actually start using noticeably more JW, I'm going to be one freaking happy LACWACer.

17. Convor

Feb 25, 2011
    http://starwarsblog.starwars.com/index.php/2012/07/27/cvi_sneak/

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
  19. WilliamBard

WilliamBard Jedi Youngling

Sep 4, 2012
    I'm getting sick of Kiner, to be honest. He spent seasons 1 and 2 ripping off other composers' work, with these composers receiving no credit whatsoever. He has failed miserably to provide a musical atmosphere ANYTHING like that which we all grew used to, in the films. His closest try was "Battle of Christophsis" on the film soundtrack; that one sounded well-orchestrated (not by Kiner, of course), and is the closest he/his team have ever come to creating what I would call GOOD music for this TV show. There are occasional moments in which I'd think, "Oh, that's kinda cool," but almost as soon as it comes, it's gone already, and Kiner is back to his usual methods of doing things.

Not only has he failed to leave any lasting, positive impression of his take on Williams' themes (save for the horrid main titles theme, put illogically/unnaturally in 5/4 time...), but he has failed to create any memorable new themes. Ahsoka's theme is not terrible, but we rarely here it anymore, and when we do, it seems to show up in the most random places (sometimes, when Ahsoka is even nowhere to be seen). a video game composer like Mark Griskey would have done a much better job.

Cevan, GGrievous and Apophis_ like this.
  20. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Season 1 had some good music, but otherwise I agree. and what about the music from the movie? COME ON!!! that music was pretty awesome yet they never used it again... There is more than enough John Williams from the movies and games to be able to re-use for the show to not make it sound too repetitive.

Dark Lord Tarkas likes this.
  21. WilliamBard

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree. The thing is, I think the only reason the film score was notably better than any of the music in the actual series is that Kiner thought, "Crap, this is actually a feature film. I need to not make a fool of myself with this score." He actually even admitted that in an interview, once. I feel like aside from that, he's completely lazy and unoriginal.

Cevan likes this.
  22. KED12345

KED12345 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2012
    Never understood why we couldn't get someone like Joel McNeely for Clone Wars, it's not like he has a load on his plate, he's stuck doing American Dad and he does have experience with Star Wars. Excellent composer.

DarthRelaxus likes this.
  23. Convor

Feb 25, 2011
    Or Mark Griskey:

24. WilliamBard

Sep 4, 2012
    Another Mark Griskey, even better:

Gotta love that awesome rendition of the Force theme at 2:52. Why can't Kiner write like this?!

Cevan likes this.
  25. Apophis_

Apophis_ Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree completely.
    For me music is one of the most important things in the movie and I think that Kiner ruined TCW - it's not Star Wars anymore. They should just use music composed by John Williams for Star Wars saga. Or they should take one of the composers that worked on Star Wars games like Republic Commando (Jesse Harlin), The Old Republic (many composers) or both KotORs (Jeremy Soule, Mark Griskey).