main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Animated Shorts The Micro Series & Genndy Tartakovsky appreciation thread

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by GGrievous, Sep 2, 2012.

1. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    This series was perfect. The execution, the fights, the characterization, the themes, the coherency, etc. There was nothing about this series that I did not like. TCW doesn't hold a candle to Tartakovsky's work. That man has nothing to feel bad for. He did an excellent job. I simply find it despicable that they would basically disown his entire series, yet still have the audacity to borrow ideas from it.

Took the time to look at a few posts responding to the interview and the funniest one was the one talking about how Tartakovsky's work didn't expand the series. [face_rofl] I honestly considered making an account to respond and tell that person that before his work the Clone Wars was just a title of some random conflict that was mentioned twice in the original trilogy.

TCW has pretty much ruined General Grievous as a character for me. Here he was scary and came off as an actual threat. Due to the nature of TCW he no longer creates that effect. When a villain is used that much in a series, they inevitably go through a massive amount of villain decay. I can't even take him as a credible threat anymore. After 4 seasons of him constantly running away and failing he's become a joke.

2. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    DarthJenari
    Indeed! Pure genius!

I have been saying the same thing for years and I have use the term "Villain Decay" cause it describes what Grievous has gone through thanks to the show. Episodes like Shadow Warrior have totally destroyed his credibility as a threat and a strategist.
    I remember when the 20th chapter came out and several years after ROTS, Grievous was treated as a menace by fans. There was some level of respect I think.
    Now I when want to debunk/debate a "He runs so he is a worthless coward" statement by somebody, that somebody pulls out the "defeat by the gungans and how that is higher canon" card ... after which defending Grievous becomes impossible.

DarthJenari likes this.
  3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    To be fair, he pretty much adds up to his film depiction. But the the micro-series Grievous is the one that came first.

4. Dark Lord Tarkas

Dark Lord Tarkas Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 29, 2011
    I, for one, much prefer TCW Grievous to micro-series (or what I've heard of EU) Grievous. A robot with spinny-arms should not be able to take on a Jedi Master, that's just silly IMO.

5. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Why not? Clones are able to.

6. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Clones were only able to in one very special circumstance, not on an ongoing basis as part of their character, that would be as bad or worse.

7. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Well, why should the clones be the only exception? I don't think Jedi should only be able to be defeated by other Force-users.

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  8. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I agree entirely, I just think that for a robot with spinny arms to defeat a master there should be special circumstances like with the clones and Order 66, not an honorable face-to-face meeting on the battlefield. Just like a clone wouldn't survive that.

9. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    But that "robot with spinny arms" has been trained by a Sith to fight and kill Jedi..

I think I consider Mace's Force-choke to be the reason he's weaker now.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  10. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    Being trained by a Sith is great and all, but his abilities are still limited to spinny arms, which should be for from enough to take on a master IMO. If he'd been trained in some specific techniques to neutralize Force-advantage, that'd be one thing, but having nothing more than spinny arms, that's something else.

11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    "You fool... I've been trained in your Jedi arts by Count Dooku. And I've got spinny arms... check these out." :p

Spazmatron and Dark Lord Tarkas like this.
  12. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't get how his advantages are just "spinny arms" if he's a warrior who's been trained to fight Jedi. But it's probably a given that most Jedi aren't used to fighting multiple-armed lightsaber-wielding opponents.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  13. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I don't see how being trained to duel by a Sith Lord could make up for the massive disadvantage a robot faces fighting a Jedi Master. I keep bringing up the spinning because I actually think, if anything, a Jedi would have a harder time against him doing that than him doing particular types of swings and blocks.

I don't think it's possible for a non-Force-sensitive to learn the "art" of how a Force-user uses their lightsaber in the true sense of the term.

ArrogantJedi likes this.
  14. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    The main problem with Grevious is he isn't force sensitive. This makes his reactions a lot more delayed, and therefore against any Jedi, realistically, he should suck because he doesn't know where they will strike next, where as a Jedi can use the force to help him duel

"the force is what gives the Jedi his power" - obi wan

But he gets killed in ep 3 so yeah. whatever

15. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    Oh, so a machine's reaction time, well in the case of Grievous the reaction time of his mechanical limbs, is suddenly slower than a sentient life-form?

16. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    If the sentient life-form can perceive the future before it happens and the robot cannot, yes.

melkor834 likes this.
  17. Spazmatron

Spazmatron Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 19, 2012
    Incase you didn't know, Grevious isn't a robot

he does not have robot reactions, even then, we've seen how well those magna guards fight.. they just die after a certain ammount of time.

he is a cyborg which is a kaleesh (I know you know this)

therefore hes just vader with extra limbs without force sensitivity.

18. Dark Lord Tarkas

Apr 29, 2011
    I know he's not literally a robot, but since he has absolutely no Force powers, he might as well be in terms of defeating a Jedi IMO.

And you have to admit a robot with spinny arms has a certain ring to it. :D

19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I'd rather have super-powered Grievous than the weak, cowardly one. I like villains that have a dominating presence. Vader and Thrawn for example. Gary Stu perhaps? No! I want the villain to be super-powered or insanely smart. Makes the victory all the sweeter

20. Convor

Convor Jedi Knight star 2

Feb 25, 2011

And the conflict all the more exciting. It's no fun when the villain is so outmatched that you're rooting for him instead of the protagonist.

Force Smuggler likes this.
  21. floatlikegas

floatlikegas Jedi Master star 2

Apr 27, 2010
    Grievous makes up for that with his droid body. If a regular person tried to do the things he was doing without the force he'd end up hurting himself

22. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    exactly!

23. DarthJenari

DarthJenari Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2011
    Agreed. As I said, when Grevious first appeared I actually feared him a little, just as I did Darth Vader years ago. That's an excellent quality for a villain to have! To cause fear in a viewer, when logically the viewer knows the villain isn't real. Now, he really just is pathetic. Like Team Rocket from Pokemon, he appears, gets defeated, and runs away.

Zeta1127 and Force Smuggler like this.
  24. Force Smuggler

Sep 2, 2012
    When I first saw ROTS I thought Grevious would be much more of a threat. Yes I know we had 2 and a half hours and so much to do but Maul was so much scarier in TPM. The double-sided lightsaber was amazing the first time I saw it. You have to give Team Rocket credit though. They've hounded Ash and friends for long? 15 years and over 5-6 continents? That's insane. Sort of like Lord Zedd when he showed up in Power Rangers. He was tougher than Rita, so much tougher that the parents complained and the producers turned him into comic relief for the most part. Nom Anor is another of my favorite villains. Sure he was a coward and had his mistakes but he was still someone to fear and he kept getting back up. Always scheming for his own good.

DarthJenari likes this.
  25. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Pics of the significantly awesomer Grievous.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]