main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Go science?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Sep 26, 2012.

1. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Leonard's the useful one, after Howard. And the closest to normally-functioning.
    Element 113 was "discovered" years ago, but they couldn't get a perfect decay pattern and there were some holes in the data or whatever, so it only just got confirmed. I mean, Bigfoot may be real or something but Bigfoot hasn't been confirmed. 113 just has.

2. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    Ironic, as Leonard is the most annoying one. Sheldon's great and all, just wrong about science.

I'd say its more of a confirmation thing.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Bio Internet

More

It almost reads like midiclorians. Essentially it is what would normally be a parasite that lives in symbiosis ith you and is used to communicate with other cells rather than feast from them allowing more accurate and widespread genetic control.

4. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Hopefully someday we'll also be able to buy advanced biocomputers in a small can of "gelatinous medium."

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Warp drive update

Bad news? Still need exotic matter. Good news? Instead of an amount of said matter equal to the mass of Jupiter you might only need a few hundred kilograms of it.

[​IMG]

6. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  7. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    Sheldon annoys me more than Leonard. Yay on Space-X launch! I'll be watching for it.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    NASA Plan to Build Space Station Beyond the Moon Criticized

It's a good question: To what end? If I were in charge of protecting NASA, I would publicize a long-range goal of developing NEO interception and deflection technology. Within 100 years, humans will deploy a system for protecting the earth from large meteor impacts, with one-year plans nested in five-year plans nested in 3-4 generational plans. Or I'd transfer the whole thing to the UN and make protection from extraterrestrial threats an offical part of the UN mission.

9. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    "Spudis suggests that such a station would make sense if it were part of a larger cislunar transportation infrastructure that included a fuel depot supplied, by preference, by rocket fuel refined from lunar ice known to lay in the permanently shadowed craters at the moon's north and south poles."

there is enough estimated water at the poles of the Moon to supply fuel equivalent to 6,000 Shuttle launches.

10. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    We need a reason for doing that, something more important than just sending a few people to Mars.

11. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't need ot go to the Moon to go to Mars. You go to the Moon to go to the Moon. There is as I said much water. There is also many billions in platinum and gold and silver and various elements coating the rims of craters. If it's about making money, you can make large sums of it. If it's about expanding knowledge through the exploration of the Moon and near Earth assestts then you will get that and its economic potential. If you want to go just because you have the money and want to then more power to you.

And what's wrong with sending people to Mars? NASA not going to Mars by now is a travesty and a hard lesson in the power of corprorate lobbying to spend 100 + billion on a space station rather than going to another world for the same price.

12. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  13. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    That looks like one pissed-off bird!!

Darth-Ghost likes this.
  14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Here's another picture:

[​IMG]

15. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    I hear a Jurassic Park-Twilight mashup franchise is being considered in the halls of Hollywood studios right this instance.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Jul 31, 2002
    In keeping with the 14-yr-old kid's science project on having people sign a petition to ban dihydrogen monoxide from the environment, my apartment manager posted a notice on everybody's door that the handyman would be installing 'carbon dioxide' monitors in our apartments. I'm sure she meant 'carbon monoxide.'

If it really is a 'carbon dixoide' monitor, the alarm will be going off all the time.

18. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Space-X launching to the ISS tonigth at 8:35 pm

Dammit. I'll have to watch the replays, Once Upon A Time will be on..

Noteworthy items: This is unmanned. It is one of 12 launches to get 20 tons to the ISS for a $1.6 billion contract. Space-X has competition brewing but will maintain a one-up in that they can return things from space instead of being all throw-away launches. returning on this mission for example is 500 samples of astronaut blood and urine. ew.

19. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  20. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    The video of the engine failure was dramatic. It looked like a big explosion, with parts flying.

21. Lowbacca_1977

Lowbacca_1977 Chosen One star 7

Jun 28, 2006
    To be fair, the launch itself is a big explosion with parts flying.

22. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    Update

"Falcon 9 did exactly what it was designed to do. Like the Saturn V (which experienced engine loss on two flights) and modern airliners, Falcon 9 is designed to handle an engine out situation and still complete its mission. No other rocket currently flying has this ability.
    It is worth noting that Falcon 9 shuts down two of its engines to limit acceleration to 5 g’s even on a fully nominal flight. The rocket could therefore have lost another engine and still completed its mission."

So, Musk may not be 100% happy with a part of the engine process but it is a good design and did its job.

In other news you may or may not have seen: Nobel for cell reprogramming

I swear, if I had a billion bucks I'd create a Manhatten Project for gentic engineering.

23. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  24. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Ah Voyager, you've gone far. I still remember when I saw this video for the first time:

How young and naive we both were back then.

25. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002

Like yours this vid is time lapsed. As mentioned in the comments Jupiter takes 10 hours to rotate so watching The Great Red Spot go from one side to the other would take 5 hours. It's cool watching the moons revolve about and cast their shadows.