main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Social What is your first memory of Star Wars?

Discussion in 'Welcome New Users' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Sep 23, 2012.

1. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Hey everybody, I was just wondering what was your first memory of Star Wars? Mine was when I was six their was a SW marathon on TV and too a surprise to everyone I was bored and promise myself never to watch again. Then in 2009 some friend started to talk about the tech specs of the Laat/i and I was hooked for life.

2. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    In '83, I think, either watching Star Wars on broadcast TV or seeing Return of the Jedi in a theatre. I can't remember which came first. I was 2 or 3. Most of what I remember from back then was watching grass grow, Star Wars, E.T. and listening to "Who Are You" by The Who in my mom's car.

3. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I was 11 sitting in a theatre in the city ( back before there were theatres in the suburbs!) and the Star Destroyer came overhead.......in May 1977 ......I was never the same again.

4. DeltaRecon226

DeltaRecon226 Jedi Knight

Sep 20, 2012
    My first Star Wars memory was getting the Lego T-16 Skyhopper. I thought it was the coolest thing ever, and proceeded to watch Episode IV seven times the next week.

5. NYCitygurl

NYCitygurl Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 20, 2002
    Mine is watching the OT for the first time the summer the new movies came out. I saw Return of the Jedi and was never the same again! To this day, it's still my favorite SW movie :D

6. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Same here, love ROTJ..... [face_love]

7. morrison85

morrison85 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 13, 2005
    hm my first memory is watching ANH on TV and thinking (as R2 and C3PO are in the desert of tatooine) how long are they going to stumble around in that desert [face_laugh]

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Playing with R2 and 3PO action figures downstairs in the condo where we lived in the late 70s. That was my earliest memory. My most vivid memory of that time was watching ESB in the theater with my Dad, hearing Vader say "I am your father" to Luke, and thinking that Vader was full of crap and that was a really below-the-belt move.

NYCitygurl likes this.
  9. immertreu

immertreu Jedi Master star 2

Feb 4, 2012
    There are two, I don't know which one was earlier:

I was visiting a friend (who eventually made me a fan ;) ) and he had the complete soundtrack on cassette (yup, it was in the 90s). I immediately fell in love with John Wiliams's music.

The second one was at our home. My dad had recorded ROTJ for us, but somehow the beginning was missing when we watched it. So for years I kept wondering what I'd missed and how long R2-D2 and C-3PO had been stumbling around in that desert. :confused:

DarthIshyZ, tssurfer and morrison85 like this.
  10. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    haha the second is quite similar to me with r2 and c3po stumbling through the desert[face_laugh]

immertreu likes this.
  11. immertreu

Feb 4, 2012
    Lol, yes! At least you got your answer right away. [face_laugh] I watched the old tape over and over again but only got to see the whole movie years later when ANH was re-released.

12. XAFSSGT

XAFSSGT Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 27, 2012
    I remember opening the Ewok Village back in the 80's on Christmas morning. I'd seen the movies previously on USA Networks, and I was instantly in love with them.

13. Darth Gangrenous

Darth Gangrenous Chosen One star 10

Jun 1, 2005
    The space battle over Tatooine back in 1977 before they decided to call Star Wars, Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope.

DarthIshyZ and Adalia-Durron like this.
  14. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    DG, We're old...you know that don't you?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  15. Frank T.

Frank T. Force Ghost star 6

Sep 2, 2012
    And lucky. You know that, right?

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  16. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Yeah, I'm aware I was there at the Dawn of an Era....

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  17. immertreu

Feb 4, 2012
    You make us Younglings cry. ;) I wish they would show the original movies in the theaters once more, not the special editions or in 3D.

18. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    I only popped into the lounge when they were already in the desert [face_laugh]

19. morrison85

May 13, 2005
    I only popped into the lounge when they were already in the desert [face_laugh]

20. Splinterthemindseye_

Splinterthemindseye_ Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 24, 2012
    My first real coherent memory of Star Wars has to be my father explaining the difference between a lightsaber and a lifesaver (to which I thought they were called... I was four so give me a break)

DarthIshyZ and Sith-I-5 like this.
  21. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Hey, I have full grown mothers making that mistake....boggles the mind then!

22. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Mine was in second grade, when I was in a class of all boys, and everyone but my best friend and I played Star Wars at recess every day (characters from all eras all at the same time!). I joined in one day and somehow got to be Anakin, and I was told that "a beam of light shoots out of the hilt" of the lightsaber. I spent the rest of recess shooting the bad guys. As if it was a gun.

I saw the OT movies later that year and never made the mistake again. When I saw ANH, my dad quoted every other line right before the characters said it, but miraculously, I still got the plot and enjoyed them. I saw he movies on IV, V, Vi...I...II............III order.

I think it was the year RotS came out. There was a Vader and Yoda balloon on the Burger King down the road.

At the end of the year, my teacher told one of the students "Luke, I am your Teacher!" Thankfully I had seen ESB by then.

I discovered the EU because I saw a friend reading what, if I remember correctly, was HttE in 5th Grade. Unfortunately, my mom said I wasn't allowed to read it, for reasons that have been lost in time. About a year ago, I happened to see HttE in the library, readier the next day, and continued to this day. (Solo Command today).

That was a long answer, wasn't it.

23. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    *read it* I HATE autocorrect!

24. immertreu

Feb 4, 2012
    [face_laugh] Love your new user pic, by the way. :D

I just remembered something else: We went to Spain on vacation one year, and all the Pepsi cans had Star Wars characters on them. Needless to say I drank a lot of that stuff while we were there...

25. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks. I like it, too.