main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

A&A The Official Jason Fry Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Oct 4, 2012.

1. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Indeed. Save your pestering for those who can approve online EGTW supplements. I am dying to see some of those things! :p

--Adm. Nick

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  2. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    One of the issues that might be run into with this is all the different Transformers continuities that there are. There have been some maps done for some of the projects(I seem to recall a fairly detailed one in the second Animated Almanac).

And yeah Gears was an original Autobot from 1984. His Switching Gears appearance doesn't really share his characteristics from the G1 character, but then he doesn't have to becasue he's not the same version of Gears in the grand scheme of things. He was basically the grumpy smurf like Transformer in the original cartoon.

3. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Gah. If you do a Transformers map, try and make it take place in one galaxy, and not the entirety, please. It'll ruin my efforts to retcon it so all sci-fi franchises take place in the Star Wars' satellite galaxies if it's any bigger!

4. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Well, any map is ultimately futile as each continuity has its own preferences and stuff. But its always possible to have a map from one of the existing Transformer universe or even make a new universe... Hasbro already has a multiverse continuity with various Transformer shows having their own designation the way DC or Marvel comics does. A similar format could be done just to see a beautiful looking Cybertron... even if its sadly ignored by other shows, comics etc etc. I think Hasbro recently tried to tie things between the various universes but it seems to had fallen apart. They declared the Thirteen to be multiversal nexuses that were the same in all realities... yet we have a completely different looking Fallen from the movies compared to the comics... or Shattered Glass having an evil Alpha Trion when he was made one of the Thirteen. So, Transformers tends to have its own problem in that regard. Didn't know about the Animated Almanac.

But that might be a topic for another time and place :p

5. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    A big Transformer fan friend of mine said that the movies were just going to be ignored.

Then again, a big Zelda fan friend of mine tried to convince me that all the games were in a single continuity. (Well, two continuities consisting of alternate realities).

6. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Literally the only experience I have with Transformers is the Bay films and some action figures I played with as a kid. To say the god awful films have given me a bad impression of the franchise would be an understatement...

And yeah, I can't follow Zelda continuity and take it seriously. Then again, I've only played a few of them.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
  8. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012

Should have watched this first

cavalier_one, Cronal and Robimus like this.
  9. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    If you want convoluted canon, try Elder Scrolls canon. Kirkbride's forum posts are considered semi-canon, and often "explain" (read: particle physics meets theology meets LSD) the cosmology and history of Tamriel in greater detail. It gets pretty deep and rather meta at times.

10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    And sometimes it's just plain annoying. :p

11. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Them's be fightin' words, in some circles. :p

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    I’ll be at New York Comic-Con tomorrow, Oct. 12. It’ll be a one-day affair for me this time around, alas. Here’s my schedule:
    11 a.m. - 12 p.m.: Signing for DK Books, Booth 932
    12 p.m. - 1 p.m.: Star Wars Books Panel, Author Stage. I’ll be talking with Pablo Hidalgo, Timothy Zahn and my old pal Dan Wallace.
    2 p.m. - 3 p.m.: Signing for Del Rey Books, Booth 1120.
    If you’re local, come on out!

13. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    Oh, to be in New York this weekend...

14. Senator_Cilghal

Senator_Cilghal Jedi Master star 5

Jul 19, 2003
    Hey, Jason!

First, I am STILL trying to process all the new info in the EGW. I didn't imagine you'd be able to process half the number of starship pic/name retcons you did. Very impressive.

Secondly, are you going to do all the updated Visual Dictionaries?

Thirdly, other than Atlas Updates or Visual Dictionaries, what is your next SW project?

Fourthly, if you can answer this or can help get this question to Mr West-Reynolds, in EpI Expanded VD p96 "Tatooine Inhabitants" there's a pic of R2, Quinlan Vos, and some Tatooinians; in the backgrounds is a Rodian labelled "Teguar deal-maker"; Tim Veehkoven/Sompeetalay and I have been trying to figure out if Teguar is the Rodian's name, is a type of deal, or a substance he deals in

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Found a very old article (2000) on TFN about the character:

Dan Curto from Curto’s Custom Alliance sends along news of a customs contest in association with Forgotten Force Ultimate Resource Guide here is the lowdown:
    Having just finished the DAILY CUSTOM UPDATES 2000, I thought it might be cool to change things around a bit. The final custom was a fan-fiction character named "Badoo Bok," A Rodian Jedi Knight -- he is also known as "Bralla" the Teguar dealmaker-- who crash-landed on Tatooine prior to THE PHANTOM MENACE. He was "almost seen" in the movie, which should make sense once you read the story I have written for him that takes place alongside events of the movie.

Go here and scroll down til you see the section on Customs Contest.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Thanks for the kind words. Re projects, I'm working on the Clone Wars Episode Guide right now. Almost done with Season 3. The book is similar in feel/approach to the Clone Wars Character Encyclopedia. Not a lot of new info in an EU vein -- that's not the book's purpose -- but there are some new bits here and there where they make sense and I have an opportunity.

I was part of a project that's completed or nearly so that somehow hasn't become public knowledge but I think is really cool. Will keep my lip zipped on that one till there's some announcement, though. And the Darth Maul novelization comes out in January. That was great fun to do. Really curious to see how the rest of the arc matches visually with what I had in my head working from scripts.

Dunno about doing all the Visual Dictionaries, though it would be fun. Depends on scheduling and of course it's up to DK who they approach, but I'm game if they want me. My hope as a reader/fan is that each movie in the classic trilogy gets a full-sized Visual Dictionary. Fingers crossed!

Re the Teguar deal-maker, Tim asked me via email. Sorry, but I don't know -- the only thing I did for that photo in the EVD was call out Quinlan Vos. If you get ahold of DWR and he has an answer, please post it here.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    Is that new secret from Del Rey or Dorling Kindersley?

18. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Ha. Nice try.

Tzizvvt78 likes this.
  19. CoraxRD

CoraxRD Jedi Youngling

Sep 17, 2012
    Is that project related to the photo you posted on Twitter a while ago? You know the one with all the Mando reference material and a copy of RC: Triple Zero on top?

20. Tim Battershell

Tim Battershell Jedi Master star 5

Sep 3, 2012
    Please let us know as soon as you possibly can!

21. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Still hoping Jason gets to do more TCW guides like the Character one but some concerning Planets or Droids :p Those are always fun as the connections to the EU are always awesome like how the Trident is from Gree designs.

22. RC-1991

Dec 2, 2009
    I'd love to see another Gazetteer. Those were probably my favorite sections of the Atlas.

23. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    He has to come up with a name for the Crucible's class, for instance, and professor Huyang's life story.

24. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Cronal and GrandAdmiralJello like this.
  25. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Oh no, I realized. There isn’t really such a thing. It was just a dream.

I had far too many dreams like that when I was a kid... usually involving micromachines of EU spaceships.

(what!)