main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Best Guides/Manuals, Etc.

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Danz Borin, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    What are some of the better "Guides" or etc?

I have "The New Essential Chronology" - what are some of the other good ones? I heard The Atlas one was good. Any others?

2. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Essential Atlas, Essential Guide to Warfare, Legacy Era Campaign Guide.

The first especially.

'Nuff said.

3. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    So just those 3? And nothing else? I read Legacy (up to [and including Vector] and then stopped) and I didn't care for Legacy really much at all.

4. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    I'll echo the recommendations for The Essential Atlas and The Essential Guide to Warfare. You say you didn't like Legacy. Did you like KOTOR? If so, the Knights of the Old Republic Campaign Guide is excellent. Other recommendations: Jedi vs. Sith: The Essential Guide to the Force; The Unknown Regions; Galaxy of Intrigue; Book of Sith; The Old Republic Encyclopedia.

5. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    I have a few of the old WOTC campaign guides, like their Sith one and their Tatooine one. I read the Jedi vs. Sith one (library).

Any other recommendations?

6. Tzizvvt78

Tzizvvt78 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 12, 2009
    The Dorling Kindersley line of Cross-Sections and Inside the Worlds of... books are great and filled with info and detailed drawings.

Seconding the Atlas and Warfare guides.

7. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    Is the new Readers book any good?

8. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    It has some neat illustrations but little in the way of new/elucidating material.

Atlas (and Atlas supplements) and Warfare all the way. I'd also throw in The Jedi Path.

9. Danz Borin

Oct 16, 2012
    What are the Atlas supplements?

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Jason Fry did an Atlas supplement focusing on Xim the Despot and the Tion Cluster, and John Jackson Miller did one on the Grumani/Spumani sector to tie into the Knight Errant comic/novel. They were originally posted on Hyperspace, but I think that they have been reposted on the Star Wars official blog somehow. JohnJacksonMiller would know more than I would.

11. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Not an actual guide, but Wookieepedia is the best Star Wars wiki out there, as well as one of the best in Wikia's network.
    starwars.wikia.com

12. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    Appreciate the kind words. All of the Atlas supplements remain available at starwars.com/atlas, with more coming soon.

13. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Outside of those obvious mentions I feel like mentioning both the Imperial Source Book and the Dark Empire Source Book as containing an amazing amount of cool stuff.

Maybe not what the OP had in mind as they are out of print and such, but awesome reads none the less.

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Really depends on what you are looking for. Though when it comes to general guides to SW go for the Chronology, Guide to Characters and the Atlas.

15. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    Let's see... what do I have on my bookshelf, currently? Guide to Characters, Alien Species, Vehicles and Vessels, Weapons and Technology, Chronology, Atlas, Warfare, Planets and Moons if you're into the older guides, and then there's the RPG sourcebooks... Currently I have Creatures of the Galaxy and Alien Anthology on my bookshelf.

It really depends on what all you're looking for. And while I am a Wookieepedian and support any plugging of the Wook, we all got our information from somewhere. Thus, we all have amassed rather large collections of guides in some form or another. While Wookieepedia is great to get the basic gist, if you want more detail, get the guides listed in the sources of your favorite articles.

16. jasonfry

jasonfry VIP star 4 VIP

Nov 11, 2003
    The WEG guides are definitely worth seeking out. As an author, I reach for the Dark Empire Sourcebook, Han Solo and the Corporate Sector Sourcebook, Imperial Sourcebook, Rebel Alliance Sourcebook and Platt's Smugglers Guide quite a bit.

17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    The Imperial Sourcebook is still my favorite resource, and it's been ages since I bought the 1st edition.

I really, really love The Essential Atlas, not only because it's thorough or detailed (and it is) but because it also manages to bring back some of the sense of wonder to the Star Wars galaxy.

Havac likes this.
  18. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I love the Thrawn Trilogy Source Books as well just because they slightly expand upon that Trilogy and the characters within it.

19. AirNeeva

AirNeeva Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 20, 2012
    Cracken's Threat Dossier.

20. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    Thrawn Trilogy Sourcebook is also great, and don't forget the unparalleled Galaxy Guide 9: Fragments from the Rim.
    The various Cracken's books are good too- Rebel Field Guide, Rebel Agents, Wanted by Cracken. Cracken's Threat Dossier is actually the poorest of the books with his name on it.