main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Is Palps referring to Qui-Gon in the Opera? re Cheating Death

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by princethomas, Sep 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. princethomas

princethomas Jedi Master star 2

Nov 19, 2001
    Watching ROTS on Blu Ray this weekend for the first time in several years. Something new stood out. When talking of the ONE person who has managed to figure out how to cheat death. There seems almost to be a bit of frustration from Palpatine. Could he be referring to Qui-Gon? Could he be aware of what the Q is doing behind the scenes. It would be interesting and would add more to that dynamic. It would also give a bit of a puzzle to the end of ROTJ when we can say, ding dong the Emp is dead...or is he?

2. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    Pretty sure he explicitly states it was Plagueis

3. shanerjedi

shanerjedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 17, 2010
    He was referring to his master. It is ironic that Qui-Gon and the jedi are the ones to really figure out how to cheat death fully. However, Palps is talking about his own master.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Frank T. like this.
  4. princethomas

Nov 19, 2001
    Yeah, I guess that is right. I was thinking about it afterwards and didn't rewatch. I know he said Plagueis could stop OTHERS from dying. But then I got the Cheat Death line in my head as something that had to do with stop ones own death. Which Qui-Gon sort of does.

5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The line about one person "cheating death" isn't from the opera scene, it's from the turn scene. And while the obvious implication to Anakin is that Palpatine is referring to Plagueis, it is stated in the EU that Plagueis was not the "one" who cheated death. It is still a reference to a Sith, not Qui-Gon.

6. princethomas

Nov 19, 2001
    I went back. It is the just after the turn scene where he says it. He doesn't explicity say in that seen its Darth P but it clearly can be assumed. Moreso than anything else. My bad. Im sure there is a padawan lesson about overthinking something without rewatching first. Should have listened to the Midi-Cs talking to me.

7. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    What does cheating death mean? Does it mean living forever, like the philosopher's stone or the elves from LOTR, where your body never dies or ages and you're ageless, and don't die unless you get a sickness or somehow die of non-natural causes?

What was Palpatine talking about? So vague.

8. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Not dying. If they die, they loose their power. And Sith are all about power.

The Jedi didn't cheat death ("death is a natural part of life"). They die, but were able to find a way to retain their consciousness after death.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    It's very sad that Anakin never gets to meet Padme in the end and they never reunite, since she was not a force sensitiv:_| e and cannot retain consciousness after death.

10. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    We don't know what happens after a Jedi "passes into the Dark netherworld of the Force" though. We know Qui-Gon came back, we see Anakin, Yoda, and Obi-Wan came back- but in the EU, Obi-Wan at least "passes on to the world beyond" after 9 years of helping Luke.

Maybe there are ordinary people in "the world beyond". Even the EU doesn't say.

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    What is "the world beyond"? No clue.

12. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In Heir to the Empire Obi Wan explains to Luke that he can't stay any longer- he must pass from this world to that which lies beyond- and he says farewell.

13. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Ehh. ROTS pretty well squashed that whole notion-Qui-Gon flat-out says Yoda will live forever. I understand Zahn did it mostly to keep from using magical Obi-Wan as a handy plot device, but you don't see it hurting TESB or ROTJ any that Ben knows everything :p

Yunners likes this.
  14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    "Eternal life" doesn't necessarily mean "On this plane".

15. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Not to mention that it's been long since contradicted in the EU in general. But..this isn't the EU forum. :p

16. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    More recent books- like The Life & Legend of Obi-Wan Kenobi, also have him "moving on".

Whether or not Jedi in general have to- he chose to say that to Luke.

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Probably to keep in line with the EU, not the movies.

18. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm OK with "the path to immortality" not actually meaning that the Jedi spirit will stay on the material plane forever, but that it will remain conscious forever.

19. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Makes you wonder how eternal consciousness works - is it boring, unable to drop in on this mortal plain?

20. StampidHD280pro

StampidHD280pro Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2005
    "Palps", my we're getting informal about Sith lords aren't we?

21. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Would you prefer "Papa Papa Palpatine"? :D (see Robot Chicken)

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    What do you mean by "getting informal about sith lords"?

23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Normally the SIth wish to be called "High Supreme Overlord Darth___" and not by their college nickname or IM name. Sids was very particular about folks calling him Sids - he hated it. Since I hate him, I like to rile him up.

24. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Better nickname-Palps or Sids?

25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Palps is the family-friendly face of the Republic; Sids is the ass-wrinkled face of the Empire.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.