main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Did Hayden do a good job as Anakin?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Rotticus, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Rotticus

Rotticus Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 21, 2012
    I hear a lot of people trash Hayden's performance as Anakin, but, was he really THAT bad? I for one thought he did a fantastic job in ROTS regardless of GL's dialogue you can see the emotion and conflict in his actions and facial expressions that there was a lot going on besides what was spoken. AOTC is another story

2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Hayden wasn't bad per se, but I wasn't a fan of how he portrayed Anakin in AoTC. It took quite a number of ROTS viewing to up my view of Hayden, though personally I think Ewan far outshone Hayden.

3. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't know much about the craft and technicalities of acting, but Ian McDiarmid - a man who does! - was asked at Celebration VI which actor he most enjoyed working with on the PT and he said that he felt he and Christensen had a great on-screen rapport and that Christensen's performance was very underated. I think we can take McDiarmid's word for it!

Like I say, I don't know much about acting, I only know whether I believe an actor's performance or not and I totally believed Hayden Christensen's performance. To me, the scene in which Anakin confesses to Padme that he slaughtered all the Tusken Raiders is absolutely brilliant. You can see the hatred and torment in his eyes. It's very chilling.

4. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Everybody has different opinions. It's a freaking FILM.
    I thought he was fine. I thought the prequels were fine. He had good chemistry with Natalie.

CoolyFett, kainee, VMeran and 7 others like this.
  5. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I think the Tuskan confession is the strongest performance of the series, so yeah, I think he did fine job. If anything I think Portman was the weaker link. I know everybody's supposed to say something along the lines of "even a great performer like Portman sucked with that material," but honestly, Garden State is the only film of hers I've seen where she stepped out of her style, which usually strikes me as a bit flat.

6. Mnhay27

Mnhay27 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree, they worked well together. I totally bought the romance scenes. Interestingly enough, in his review of AOTC, filmmaker Kevin Smith specifically pointed to the Anakin/Padme romance as a highlight of the movie:

"And that's what worked best for me about the Anakin arc in CLONES: the doomed love affair of Anakin and Amidala. Most of the critics dismissed this as the flick's most ham-fistedly handled aspect, but I thought it played out tragically and beautifully. High marks to both Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman, because I completely bought their relationship. He wants her desperately without really even knowing why, as do all teenage boys when they find who they assume is their one-true in high school. And even though she knows this guy is poison, she can't help but fall for him - the little slave-boy that grew up to be a conflicted, impetuous hat tank who insists everyone's giving him a raw deal. In high school, the really hot chicks always went for the massive ****-ups, and eventually wound up married to them. But this marriage doesn't end in small town affairs and divorce; this marriage ends with the girl scattering her kids across the galaxy to save them from their father, who by that point is more machine than man."

7. MrFantastic74

MrFantastic74 Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 4, 2010
    I have seen him in other projects and he is fundamentally a good actor. I don't think he was convincing as Anakin, but I chalk it up to an awkward script and poor direction. The same can be said for Natalie Portman. She is one of the best actresses around right now, but I wasn't blown away by her performance as Padme. Again, awkward dialogue and poor direction.

8. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    agreed

Darth kRud likes this.
  9. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    I couldnt agree with you more, although i felt he may have lacked some in AOTC he had some pretty big shoes to fill. His scene with padme about the tuskan raiders gave me chills, as did when his mother died in his arms. but then again maybe hayden's strength as the character was his darker side. some of the love scenes were a little corny but then again love IS corny, HA :p

kainee and Order66Survivor like this.
  10. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Have you seen Black Swan? a lot of people commended her performance

CoolyFett likes this.
  11. Rotticus

Oct 21, 2012
    Valairy Scot Ewan's scene with Anakin after he defeated him on Mustafar was deep, you could feel every word he said

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I agree about Hayden's strength (or portrayal) was the darker side but there was supposed to be more than "dark" in Anakin and I'm not talking the love scenes. There was not the counterbalance to the dark - whether that's the fault of the script, the directing, or the acting or all three I don't know. For every scene Hayden nailed, there were others that just rubbed me the wrong way.

I didn't like the character Anakin, and maybe some of that dislike got transferred to Hayden's acting...

13. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    Except for one scene of over acting in ROTS, yes he did.

BDOT likes this.
  14. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    It's my least favorite Aronofsky. Still very watchable, but not what I was expecting based on the buzz.

Lady_Skywalker87 likes this.
  15. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I liked his performance in AotC, and the only scene with him that I really didn't like was the balcony one with Natalie.

BDOT likes this.
  16. rumsmuggler

rumsmuggler Chosen One star 7

Aug 31, 2000
    Hayden did a fine job with what he has given to work with.

17. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    I don't understand such statements. Either an actor manages to bring a character to life or he doesn't. It's an actor's job to make the material work, because the material represents the character.
    If you like the material on its own or not, is a completely different thing.

Given that, I think Hayden portrayed George Lucas' Anakin pretty well. Perhaps he didn't represent what some people expected Anakin to be, but that wasn't his job. He did what he was supposed to do, imo.

18. Lord Tyrannus

Lord Tyrannus Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 2012
    Hayden was perfect for one reason- long haired Hayden with black robes in episode 3 looked exactly like a young darth vader, i would have imagined him to look.

19. Legacy Jedi Endordude

Legacy Jedi Endordude Jedi Knight star 3

Sep 9, 2012
    I think he did a terrific job, and truly couldn't imagain star wars with out him!

20. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    Hayden is the entire reason i find star wars interesting. He is princes leia's father, luke skywalker's father, and he is darth vader before getting all cyborg and more machine than man. The fact that he never met his children in his normla healthy appearence, , makes SW even more intersting

21. DarthEmpron

DarthEmpron Jedi Youngling

Sep 7, 2012
    Mileage will Vary, but I thought Hayden did a good job with the material he was given.

AOTC and ROTS had some really emotionally driven scenes that Hayden just nailed, my three favorite ones are when he told Padme that he murdered the Tusken Raider clan; talking to his mother's grave and when he was standing in the jedi temple before he went off to the Mace vs Sidious fight.

That said...bad writing and dialogue muddles it most of the time. They should've had him as Anakin in the first movie, nothing against Jake Lloyd who also did pretty well with the material he was given and the fact that he was a kid, it's just that a character is better off when they manage to start with and keep the same actor.

22. Lord Tyrannus

Oct 18, 2012
    I agree with your ideas, but there are a few problems. Seeing hayden christensen as young adult anakin, like late teens or early twenties, doing all the things that boring useless jake lloyd 7 yr old anakin did would be awesome! Seeing hayden christensen with Qui Gon Jinn, meeting amidala for the first time, and, most of all-the battle with the droid space station at the end, where he destroys it, mirroring Luke destroying the death star in a new hope, would be awesome and a far better parrallel.

Lucas was trying to make anakin have parallels with luke with the whole droid control ship thing, but it just didn't work with a child anakin. It would work with young adult anakin, like luke was though. He had the right idea, just didn't do it the right way.

There is a problem with your idea. Suppose anakin starts of as being played by Hayden right there in TPM. He's about an 18-19 yr old anakin, the same age he was in AOTC. He turns evil and becomes the sith lord darth vader a few years later. Sounds far too quick for him to go from being hero to villian. Far too quick. Anakin needs his good years.

It makes more sense for him to have 14 yrs as a good guy and turn to the darkside then, like Lucas did in the prequels. I hate kid anakin just like a lot of prequel bashers, but it worked better than the alternative.

Order66Survivor likes this.
  23. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Plenty of folks have made this same argument in the past. GL won't remake the movie, though.

DarthKreVass likes this.
  24. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Hayden was a perfect Anakin and Hayden should have him in TCW

25. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    He had me at "Hello".

Hayden - oh yeah
    /LM