main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion Disney buys Lucas Films - Star Wars 7 announced

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by KELIA, Oct 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KELIA

KELIA Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 26, 2005
    Now that there will officially be a Star Wars 7, I think it will be very interesting to see how/if the storylines from any of the EU books will be followed or acknowledged. For example, will Han and Leia still marry and have children? Will Luke? What about Chewbacca? He is the one character they can bring back because anybody can wear the suit but will he still be alive?

For our discussion, what would you like to see?

I'd like the movie to focus on Han and Leia's children. Perhaps Luke's if they allow him to marry and have any. It would be great to see a cameo by Mark Hamill and Carrie Fisher, though as much as I'd like to see Harrison Ford, I honestly think at his career level, it's unlikely he would do it. Plus, I can't imagine Han Solo not being on some sort of action filled adventure.

I would expect R2 and 3PO to be featured as well

Thoughts?

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I am so disappointed with the EU lately that I hope they make all the books AU and allow the film makers to write new stories. I would love to see Mara Jade in the movie as Luke's love interest. That is assuming the time frame of EP7 is a few years after EP6. It could take place 150 ABY.

3. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I would hate a reboot - and I can't see anyone but Mark play Luke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So much for conservatism.

But if Luke was well picked and played and Mara was allowed to be his future wife, I'd probably enjoy it anyway.[face_thinking]

Just as long as they don't touch fanfiction!!! :(

4. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    They won't. Disney owns Marvel and there's a ton of Avengers fanfic.

Adrian the Cool and kataja like this.
  5. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    That's good to hear. I wonder if they will continue to allow Family Guy and Robot Chicken to do their specials. The Star Wars DVDs are great.

6. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    I doubt there will be anymore Robot Chicken specials, as those are the guys working on Detours.

Also, if anyone is interested, Brian and I recorded an emergency podcast last night and it just went up this morning. http://tosche-station.net/?p=2928

7. Jaya Solo

Jaya Solo Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 12, 1999
    And I'm back. I guess it takes news like this to get me to visit the forums again. Sooooooo different.

8. Thumper09

Thumper09 Force Ghost star 4

Dec 9, 2001
    I'm also very glad to hear that there's Marvel fanfic out there and Disney hasn't shut it down. Once my brain managed to get that far, the potential repercussions to all the fan creation stuff (art, fic, films, costuming) has been a big concern of mine.

Guess it's a good thing the boards moved before all this happened, huh? :p

Storywise I'm not sure what to expect yet. Brain is still digesting.

Jade_Max likes this.
  9. Briannakin

Briannakin Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 25, 2010
    I do hope they keep the EU in mind when writing this. As much as the EU has been terribly angsty over the past few years, a reboot would probably mean a complete reboot - that means getting rid of EVERYTHING but the movies. That would mean no Mara, no Ben, no Talon Karrde. I really don't care if they make a movie out of the existing story, or make up a story that works with cannon, just leave the EU alone.

As for the big three, I really hope they don't involve Luke, Leia and Han at all. Getting the actors back would be impossible (I can't see any of them doing another movie - Ford especially), and just not the same to replace them. I seriously hope they don't do anything with Mara either. Just leave everything that has been written alone.

As for what I'd like to see is something the books or movies have not touched at all. Maybe like a Ben and Jaina trilogy when they're heads of the Jedi. A possible cameo by Mark Hamill would be epic. Or something in the far future - 200 years post-Jedi.

Unless their prequels to the prequels, I can totally see R2 and C-3PO in it. And I can imagine Anthony Davis probably wouldn't mind doing 3PO's voice.

10. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Maybe they will start at the time of the Legacy comics

11. lazykbys_left

lazykbys_left Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 17, 2005
    Retcon! Retcon! Retcon!

Right now I'm more interested in what the continuity people are going to do. 'Course, it would be fun to see some of SuperSh the EU leaking in as Easter Eggs.

12. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    I breath calmly again! :D

That would really be the worst case scenario, wouldn't it? [face_sick] Still, a reboot might be a reboot Marvel style too - which would mean they picked up the favorite character and basic plotlines and then shaked the cocktail. On the other hand, it was necessary with Marvel as there was no continuity - with SW it wouldn't be necessary....

I think this would probably be the smartest thing to do. They could leave the EU be ('cept for rebooting Legacy a couple of hundred years further to make space) but would get a completely new era to play in which would allow new fans to jump straght in. Also, people would adore cameos from Mark, Carrie and Harrison, which would automatically buy them goodwill - and it might fit well with Georges original idea for parts 7,8 and 9. Also, the EU right now is basically perfectly set for new stories. I wonder if selling SW has been know by a number of people for a while and if there's been a setup planned?

That could be a possibility too. It certainly would fit with that Luke cameo George spoke about with Mark Hamill back in 1976. All I'm sure of, is that it has to be a basically 'new story.' As Dunc point out on ClubJade: "Disney is absolutely going to want a make movies that don’t require fans to have 20 years of background reading – they want a movie that’s going to be accessible to the vast, mainstream audience". But that doesn't mean they can't take a character that already has a background in the EU.

13. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just a note that we opened an Episode VII forum earlier - you can check it out here.

14. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010

They may do a reboot Marvel style and I wouldn't be completely pissed if they did, but it would be incredibly confusing and unnecessary - it would create more problems rather than solve them. I think it would annoy a lot of authors and readers if they did. You can't really compare Star Wars to Marvel in terms of continuity.

I think having a place for fans to 'jump in' is important, but you don't want to annoy the already huge EU fan base (though we are a oddly tolerant bunch, even if we complain endlessly). So I think a completely new era post-Fotj, or even further in the future would be Disney's best bet. And I can see Mark, possibly even Carrie doing cameos.

I think very few people knew of the impending sale, probably no one at Del Ray, but it is ODDLY convenient timing as there are no big projects planned for the near future.

This is a good point. It's probably going to be very mainstream, and with the possible exception of the opening crawl, the movies probably aren't going to mention anything in the eu, unless it's an EU character.[/QUOTE][/quote]

15. Jade_Pilot

Jade_Pilot Jedi Master star 5

Dec 10, 2005
    Such good news! At this point I'm still dancing on the ceiling!

16. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    What I would like, ideally? A trilogy set forty years after ANH with Luke leading a new Jedi Order, and starring his and Leia's kids. I just can't picture Episode 7, 8, and 9 not being about the Skywalker family. They can pick and choose what they want from the EU, and make their own stories

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I agree, I want to see the Skywalker and Solo family. As for the reboot...I wouldn't mind if they did that but kept some of the best of the EU. In that case maybe they can declare all the books AU or Infinities. I think if they introduced some of the favorite EU characters such as Mara, Talon, Booster, the Solo kids, Ben and others, then readers might not be so upset. Then take these characters and write a good screenplay.

lukemaraben likes this.
  18. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Right...but they're not going to care about upsetting a small portion of Star Wars fans. And unfortunately that's what we are - a very small portion of fans.

So I'm preparing for Mara Jade to no longer "exist" in Star Wars. I guess I'll be fine with that, if the stories we get are good.

19. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    The big question is, will Disney be okay with SW fanfiction?

20. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    We kinda have to prepare for anything, good or bad. Personally, I think it's fitting to have this trilogy about Ben (or Luke's children if they ignore canon). The OT was about the son, the PT was about the father, so why not have the new trilogy about the son's son? They could skip over all the existing stuff, tell a story about Ben without nixing or having to conform to the EU. That's what I hope for.

As sad as this topic is, will the movies deal with the death of the big 3 (Del Ray oviously has no plans to do so). I think it will. I can see episode VII opening with Luke's funeral and Ben (in his mid 20's) or whoever carrying on the legacy from there.

21. Briannakin

Feb 25, 2010
    This has been answered above. They allow Marvel fanfic, so we should be safe. If not, WE REBEL AND GO UNDERGROUND!

Jade_Max likes this.
  22. JediMara77

Mar 5, 2004
    Oh, if older Luke's in the sequels, I fully expect for him to die. And I will have to be carried out of the theatre crying. It'll be worse than RotS.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  23. Alexis_Wingstar

Alexis_Wingstar Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2006
    How did I miss that? I think I'm gonna have to get real glasses. :p

One thought I had was if we complained about GL letting SW get too commercial, just think what Disney's gonna do. I can see it now: Princess Leia is gonna be added to the "Disney Princess Line".

24. Kestrel_Kenobi

Kestrel_Kenobi Jedi Master star 4

Sep 26, 2005
    Have to admit the fanfic side of things is what I've been most concerned about! Good to hear they'll probably leave us in peace :)

25. Mechalich

Mechalich Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 2, 2010
    There are a number of broad scenarios for what Disney might do with a sequal trilogy (see link in sig for an outline). What's really hard at this point is not having any idea where things stand. The EU's fate hands in the balance and it could do anything from survive intact, to lose some greater or lesser portion, or be completely annihilated.

This limbo is very frustrating. Speaking personally I have always written Star Wars fanfics with a heavy respect for canon, even canon I really, really don't like. This nebulousity hurts me. If the EU is exploded, I'm done with fanfic and frankly done with any completely new EU that crops up. As a result, until there's clarification, I think I'm going to stop any plans for further fanfiction. I'm committed to finishing by my current work (which is almost to the big finish), but other than that, I don't feel like playing in quicksand.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.