main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Europe gets a make over

Discussion in 'Nordic Countries Discussion' started by Obi Anne , Nov 3, 2012.

1. Obi Anne

Obi Anne Celebration Mistress of Ceremonies star 8 Staff Member Manager

Nov 4, 1998
    So after having gone through the polls that were posted? in the different forums all over Europe it's time to start moving. I will use this post to explain how the structure will be and how it will happen. I'm hoping I'll be able to answer some questions that I've heard about the reorganisation, if you have others you are free to ask them here. I feel that the most important thing to remember during all of this is that the changes that will take place are more visual than anything else, you might have to click differently to come to your favorite topic, but it will still be there.

The basic new structure will be like this. FF Europe will have four forums and a sub-category
    Europe General Discussion
    France
    German-Speaking FF
    Nordic Countries
    FF Archive

In the Europe general forum you will find all the chapters and forums that do not belong to any of the other forums. In this first stage that will mean that I’m going to move all the active threads from the Spanish and Romanian forums there.

The active threads from France North and South will be moved to the general France forum, likewise with the GSFF North, South and Central threads. Active threads from Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden will be moved to the Nordic Countries forum.

All inactive forums will be moved to the FF Archive category, but they will not be merged in any way.

Within Europe, France, GSFF and Nordic, the main forums, each sub chapter will receive its own tag. This is what the main forum in Oceania looks like

[​IMG]

Now if I click one of the tags, in this case FF:NSW only the topics tagged with FF:NSW will appear, just like if you had clicked on a separate forum called FF:NSW

[​IMG]

Within each tag you can continue to post in your own language, just as before. The only tags where you will have to use English are with posts tagged “MOD” or “Europe” since those are tags that are for topics concerning all users, just like I’ve been posting in English when I’ve made announcements in your forums.

I also want to clarify that with this new software it’s easy to move threads around, meaning that this is not an irreversible thing. If we notice that nothing is working out, the structure can be changed, but we need to give it a try first.

Also while I’m moving things it might be a bit confusing, so please be patient. If you feel that I have missed a topic that should have been moved, just give me the link and I will move it to its right place.

What does this mean for the Denmark Forum?

Sweden, Denmark, Finland and Norway will all be gathered in the same Nordic Countries forum. I will start with tagging all the active threads in this forum with the Denmark tag. Then those threads will be moved to the Nordic Countries forum. Within the Nordic Forum you can continue to post in Danish and making your own threads, just remember to tag them/use the thread prefix Denmark.

This forum, with all the inactive threads, will be moved to the FF Europe archive category, it will not be deleted. If I missed a thread, or if there is an old thread that you want to use again, just tell me and give me the link from the archive and I can unlock it and move it to the Nordic Countries forum.

2. Darth-Floyd

Darth-Floyd Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 5, 2003
    One question, why make a poll and ask for our opinion and then don't listen to it anyway? Anyway, I'm sure we will find the right place :)

3. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    I listened to the poll, but we also had to take into account all the polls over the whole area and what would be the best way to get forums with enough activity to be viable.

4. Mr_Mundi

Mr_Mundi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 24, 2002
    But you didn't listen to the poll. The poll was just a perfect waste of time since you was always gonna go with your oppinion of:
    (You and your being what ever mod or mods who made this decision)

The forums are perfectly viable if they are allowed to exist, but apparently there is a plan to chase off the users with restrictive decisions.:(

5. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If I had done what I personally had wanted there would only be one Europe forum and all of us would be in that one, but that didn't happen. This is not a big chanbe, it's mostly a visual change and it's fully possible for you to just see the Denmark topics if you click the Denmark tag. And a forum does not look good if most of the threads are locked due to inacitivity, by combining several forums we can get forums that are alive and not only ruins of the past.

Just try the new structure and give it a chance, the forums are still made up of the members and it's the members that create the atmosphere.

6. Darth-Floyd

Apr 5, 2003
    I'm sure old users will find out how to post in their old threads, but I don't think new users will find this new look very friendly. And a note on locked threads due to inactivity, why are they locked in the first place? Why not just leave them open? I'm using a few other message boards, and I find it quite usefull to be able to post in old threads sometimes

7. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    Obi Anne, please note I did specify, that by "you" and "yours" I was referring the mod or mods who made the decision to change the boards into this. In a conversation with you it would seems strange to use "them" and "theirs" without knowing if you was part of the group to make this change.

In my oppinion this has made the boards more user-hostile than user-friendly.
    At present I see only one topic from Finland and for a long time Denmark also only had one active topic. These single topics can easily be overlooked by new users from the respective countrys, who will then not post because they don't see activity from their own country.
    In my oppinion the combining of countrys will result in less new users not more.

8. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    And that is simply where I don't agree. There is no use of having a forum with just one active thread, that's not attractive either. There are going to be tags in the top of the forum with each country, when you click on that tag you will only see topics with that tag, so in that way it wont be any difference to having a forum of your own.

9. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    I guess that is just something we have to agree to disagree upon. And then let us hope, that all potential new nordic users share your view of of the changes and not mine.

The forums wouldn't have just one active thread if someone hadn't decided, that all threads must be locked after 6 month. Not all topics are obsolete after 6 month.

And yes, even with tags at the top, it will be different than having a forum of our own, because we will have a history of topics (locked perhaps, but still), that for one reason or another could be interesting to look at again, but now everything is split up in two locations, so if we want to go back and see what we wrote about sequels after the prequels came out or what ever the reason for looking at old topics may be, then we have to look at a different place.

In my oppinion the reason for making this change is vague at best. It seems like the forum now has some new features and then, at any cost these must be pushed upon the users.

Darth-Floyd likes this.
  10. Qui-Gina-Jinn

Qui-Gina-Jinn Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 2, 2003
    I must say that I agree with Mundi on this.

We used to have a board, that we could call 'our own', so to speak; a board where all our history was visible for anyone to see when they dropped by. (History being all our old, locked threads).
    In my opinion this move of old threads complicates matters, as Mundi says, just because a topic is old doesn't mean we can bring it up again, without having to start a completely new thread. However, I doubt that many new users would want to have to check an old forum and after that request the opening of an old thread.
    I believe that it would be easier if the old threads remained where they used to be, along with the active ones, and weren't locked after 6 months - I never got the reasoning behind this.

But then again, I'm not sure that I will be around here much. I don't really like the new look and all the changes and it doesn't have the feel of 'home' that the old board did. I might be sentimental, but that is just the way it is.

/Edit: Also, if one choses to sort by tag and uses it like the old forum, then we could potentially miss a lot of potential threads, I think. We wouldn't see the 'mod' threads and the like.
    I'll still check in from time to time, though.

Darth-Floyd likes this.
  11. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    If you give me a list of all these interesting topics that you want to revisit I would be happy to bring them here.

12. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    It wasn't a case of me having a bunch of topics at hand, that I thought would be interesting.
    Like I wrote:
    It is simply a matter of us - as things are now - are having all our old topics at a different location than the active topics.
    So if for what ever reason, we should like to review what we wrote about something some 2, 5, 10 years ago, then we have to look at different location from our active topics.
    So unless you wanna move ALL our old topics to the Nordic Countries Discussion, then this will never be the same as having our own part of the forum.

13. Obi Anne

Nov 4, 1998
    No it will not be the same thing, it will be different. The aim of this move is to strengthen the forums, and the forums get stronger if there are more users, fewer locked topics, and overall more interaction. We in the Scandinavian countries can understand each other, at least most of the time, so instead of talking to just one or two persons it will be easier to interact with all the users in the Nordic Countries. If you want to go and read your old topics, they are not further away in the archives than if you had had to click on several pages back in the old forum.

14. Mr_Mundi

May 24, 2002
    Nice of you to now admit, that this will not be like having a forum of our own despite having tags at the top.

If the aim was to "strengthen the forums, by getting more users, fand having fewer locked topics", then you missed by a mile.
    Like I have wrote before, then, in my oppinion, this is more likely to drive new away.
    And per Ginas post:
    ...more likely to drive old users away. And I share her thought, and as such will likely not be here as much as I used to.

It is a weird way of thinking, that it must be easier to interact with other nordic countries, but more difficult to see your own old/locked topics. Coming from our active topics, it now takes 3 clicks just to come to come to our old/locked topics.
    Any half witted webdesigner would know, that it is those 3 clicks, that drive users away from the site. I don't know who decided to make this change and convinced you this is heaven, but they should read a book or two about user friendly websites.

DARTHLARS and Darth-Floyd like this.
  15. Darth-Floyd

Apr 5, 2003
    And it certainly looks like we got a much more active forum after we merged together with the other FFs

Some kind of sarcasm could have beeen used in my post

16. DARTHLARS

DARTHLARS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    The filtering is unintuitive. There is no information on the page that tells you how to filter. A classic rule of user interface design is: if it isn't visible, then it does not exist. Mousing over the filter tags does not count.

I think also that having old topics expire into a locked state discourages people from posting. On most other forums, if a topic is locked, then it is supposed to remain locked and you are not supposed to create a new thread on the same topic either. If a visitor sees a game thread that is locked, then you are telling that user that game threads are not allowed on the forum. The user will think that the forum is stuck up and boring and go somewhere else.