main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation The possible troubles with hiring the original cast...

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by DarthMane2, Nov 6, 2012.

1. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I wish the excitement phase of this whole thing could last forever, but alas it always passes quickly and now begins the worrying. Who will be director, Who will write EP7, Who will be cast, Etc.etc. For me I’m worry about bringing back the original cast. Not because I’m totally against it. In fact I’m ok with it for the most part. It’ll be nice to see the old actors reprising their roles one last time, but such ideas can have disastrous consequences. First off let me add that more than likely the original actors will reprise their roles. It’s smart from a profitability stand point ,and will put more butts in seats then a recast would. Also let me add that if they do come back ,expect EVERYONE TO COME BACK. Not just Luke, Leia, and Han, but Wedge, Ackbar, Yoda, and even Boba Fett. I PUT MONEY ON IT. This is after all a sequel to ROTJ, and half the fun will be catching up with these characters, seeing what they are doing, and going on new adventures. However, isn’t that the issue? The new adventure part I mean. Do we really want to see a bunch of geriatrics jumping around with light sabers an firing blasters. Builds that nostalgia meter I’m sure, but damn, really? You can bet on these characters having more than cameo roles too. Oh, the idea might be to pass on to the next gen(although I though that was the plan for 10,11, and 12), but you can also bet these character will be actually doing something. And I’m not talking Mace Windu sitting in a chair in the council chamber for 90 percent of his duration as a character, doing something either. The audience who has waited 30 years for a sequel isn’t going to sit through a movie where Luke, Leia, and Han only appear in cameo roles.

And where does that leave our younger hero‘s who will carry on the torch? Many of you seem to think this will be a passing the torch movie, well all I can say is that they’d better be the best written characters EVER. Why? Because if not they’ll be overshadowed by the older characters, and if that happens people will be pissed that the big 3 and friends didn’t have a bigger role. A bigger role for people in their 60’s and 70’s that is. It’s scary to think about. And what of criticism, will Disney want to read reviews where the critics talk about how half the cast was nursing home age? Do we really think kids will enjoy that kind of movie? Maybe it doesn’t matter, you put the old characters in there, then it’s really not a movie for the kids anymore it’s a movie for fans of the films. The balancing act of creating new hero’s while giving the old characters something to do, is very seldom successful, and it’s something people really should think about going forward. I know I’m in the minority for wanting a recast, but I’d rather go that route. Don’t worry it won’t happen. Heaven forbid Zack Efron taking over for Hamill. With a recast you run the risk of a massive crybaby fit, which would happen. As it did for Star Trek. The casting would have to be spot on. The actors chosen would have to be good enough so that the audience won’t think about Ford while Fillion(example) is playing him. They’ll just see the character. Which itself is a big risk. But what if it succeeded. What if the casting worked just like Star Trek. Say you set the movie 5 to 20 years after ROTJ(20 years is even the rumor thus far) and the casting works. Sure Episode 7 would be hurt by a recasting, but if successful your in the clear. People have bought into the idea of different actors playing the big 3 and friends, so that means you can now continue the adventures of the Big 3 and friends only a few years after ROTJ. You can actually have them still be the main characters. You can watch as Luke searches for possible force users. Watch as Leia comes to terms with Vader being her fathers, and perhaps having Jacen and Jaina. Han could be still of use. The characters wouldn’t be super old, they’d be younger and a lot more fun to watch.

It won’t happen so wipe those tears away, I’ve already said from a profitability stand point hiring the original cast is the way to go. Still, I hope Kennedy and company are thinking real hard about how they are going to use them, because a failure there could be a failure for the trilogy as a whole.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    Problems with hiring the original cast...let's see...[​IMG]
    I love Mark Hamill, but this is so not happening.

morrison85 likes this.
  3. DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR

DARTHVENGERDARTHSEAR Force Ghost star 5

Jun 8, 2002
    You forget, with a little excercise and diet, and a helluva lot of makeup, it is possible to make him look the part, again. But, like Fisher, he has to be committed to the role or it could be embarrassing.

4. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    Mark looks like the kind of old uncle or grandfather who could still kick someone's ass. You know, that one older family member who gets in everyone's face?

TreborSabreon and Saurion-Fett like this.
  5. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I still think that the original cast has to be in a limited role. They've done their trilogy, and SW has always been focused on younger characters.

That said, it does not matter who is cast in the younger character roles, they will be overshadowed by the original cast simply because the original cast will have less screen time and years upon years of nostalgic currency from fans that will color impressions.

I think we have to go in thinking this is a new trilogy, not the OT. I know that sounds shallow, but I don't think most people went into the PT with that perspective.

6. JediKnightOB1

JediKnightOB1 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 26, 2003
    Come on people are you kidding!!! Yoda, Jabba the Hutt, Greedo.... What about the good Dr. in the cantina. Who are you fooling by thinking that we need our hero's to look more presentable. First off, the Empire was defeated, I don't think the rebellion was thinking... Ops, Time for a Tummy Tuck. Out hero's have faults and short comings and that is why we love them. We relate to them because we also have defects, it's part of being human. Let it go!!!

7. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    See that's the issue though. People went into the PT knowing that it was set before the big 3 were born, and that it would be about Darth Vader. The ST is different, it's a sequel to ROTJ for one. People expect to see these character back. People expect to see them do things, and for the audience to have fun watching them do things.

8. Skaddix

Skaddix Jedi Grand Master star 5

Feb 3, 2012
    They have a good amount of time to get acceptable shape.

9. YODA the all powerful

YODA the all powerful Moderator Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    I don't know about that. I think people realize that the actors are in their Golden years, and as such the characters would likely be as well. I think based on that, people would temper expectations.

Maybe not though.

10. Saurion-Fett

Saurion-Fett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2001
    Mark can srub up

[​IMG]

That was last week .......

I really dont need to see han solo.....his story has been told........also I bet the farm Mark will have a Kenobi beard

appleseed and Panakas_Dawg like this.
  11. appleseed

appleseed Chosen One star 5

Dec 5, 2002
    He looks decent there, Carrie looks much better and ideal for a Mon Mothma role (but with much more screen time), and it doesn't matter how crappy Harrison looks.

I also expect Mark to be rockin the Kenobi. And besides, appearances are supposed be deceiving in the GFFA.

TreborSabreon and kataja like this.
  12. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I don't think there's any issue with the old cast returning. If it's set decades in the future it will be public knowledge so people will know and they'll expect them to have aged.

People who worry about the "geriatrics" need not worry. Star Wars is hardly physically demanding, and the lightsaber props aren't heavy. There's no issue having the original cast in a Star Wars film. If Ian McDiarmid can fight as Darth Sidious against Samuel L. Jackson and Yoda then so can Luke.

TreborSabreon, kataja and yodasbum like this.
  13. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Christopher Lee was in or nearing his 80's for AOTC and ROTS. They convincingly had him in two extended lightsaber fights.

14. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    I undertand DarthManew2 worries. If we want a good movie, they have to have a very limited role, or no role at all. Sincerely, i love them, but i dont want them back. I dont like come backs. I find comebacks are for B movies. Look at Indiana Jones 4 wity Harrisson Ford. He was quite awful there. We need a fresh new cast with semin-unknown actors with talent and potential. I know its not easy but they need to find the new mark hamill or harrisson ford.

15. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    I just want to see Luke back as the kenobi style older jedi... Solo (as a military commander) and leia (as a senator) maybe.

TreborSabreon likes this.
  16. serso

serso Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2001
    I think it's possible to bring back the old cast in a minor role and then go on from there.

What if this was the case:
    Han and Leia have 2 kids, both have the force ability but are not yet trained because Han doesn't want that. Han and Leia get killed (mirroring Owen and Beru's death) by someone/something (don't know who or what yet) and the two kids will be taken under the protection of Luke and learn the ways of the force (mirroring Luke joining Obi-Wan in ep. IV).

But now comes the thing...If you remember what Yoda says to Qui-Gon: "An apprentice, you have, Qui-Gon. Impossible, to take on a second." We never know what it would mean if a master has two apprentices. Luke doesn't know any better and he will train both and that will be the reason 1 of them will go to the darkside. With the anger and hate already there because of his/her parents' death. Maybe he/she will even kill Luke.

I think this is a way to introduce the next of kin as the new hero and villain. What do you think?

Saurion-Fett and Darthgoodguy like this.
  17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    That actually sounds cool.
    But where would it go from there for the other two movies, that would be very important. At first, I was rather against more Sith appearing but I'm getting a bit torn there.
    If we have Luke establishing a New Jedi Order that is radically different in it's approach from the previous one, having a New Sith Order that doesn't follow the Rule of Two and is vastly different from the Sith we've seen so far could actually be interesting.

Having a Jedi Order and a Sith Order is actually more of a "Balance of the Force" than having just Sith rule the galaxy or having only Jedi to protect it.
    Half the galaxy is Light, the other Dark.

Or something.

18. serso

serso Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2001
    As I think it would work out:
    Episode 7 - Han and Leia being killed; The kids will start training with Luke
    Episode 8 - One of the kids going bad and killing Luke
    Episode 9 - Stand-off between the two children (now being older ofcourse)

The story around it with new Jedi Order or Sith order I did not think about yet. Maybe there will be more taken from the prequels.
    There is a lot in there which I think was not put in without any reason. For example the whole Sifo-Dyas thing.
    Maybe George did have some more ideas to make the prequels and the new sequels connect.

19. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Yeah, the Sifo-Dyas thing always bothered me.
    I know there's some stuff in EU about it, but nevermind that.
    It seemed like a relevant plot point in AOTC and then completely ignored later on.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  20. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given the Sith were supposedly destroyed with Sidious & Vader, just have Dark Jedi instead. Had plenty of them in the EU - Jerec, Dessan, Tavion etc
    Heck, depending on the outcome of TCW show, Ventress could appear.

21. SamiS

SamiS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    [​IMG][​IMG]

22. Alderaan Luke

Alderaan Luke Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 6, 2012
    To be fair, the old Alec Guiness looks x1000 times cooler and more interesting than the old Mark Hamill.

WIERD_GREEN_MAN likes this.
  23. SamiS

SamiS Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2001
    Get Mark a beard and some make up and it'll be much closer
    Also get him to the gym asap :p

TreborSabreon likes this.
  24. Breebel

Breebel Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 4, 2012
    I like this idea as well. In the first episode, Luke could be training them and one of them lashes out at the other. Luke simply dismisses it as sibling rivalry, because he refuses to believe that the offspring of his sister and his friend would succumb to the dark side (remember the dialogue between Palpatine and Luke on the Death Star: 'Your overconfidence is your weakness' 'Your faith in your friends is yours'). By the time he realises that the reason that the Jedi refused to take on two apprentices was because feelings of jealousy and hatred easily well up when one apprentice seems to do things easier than the other, making the path to the darkside more quicker than it normally would be - plus the fact that the dark-side sibling has a lot of anger at both Luke and himself because if he had been trained as a Jedi, he could have saved his parents - it's too late...and Luke gets killed in a duel. The dark-side sibling also tries to kill his sister, but she manages to escape, and the entire trilogy is based on her trying to redeem her brother as Luke did with his father, but finally realising that what Leia said to Luke is true 'He has to choose his own path, no one can choose it for him'. She ends up letting him live, but banishes him to a remote planet that no-one has ever heard of...Dagobah. Which is where he begins to build the Sith order from a cave that is strong with the Dark Side of the force...and the cycle begins again.

25. serso

serso Jedi Master

Nov 1, 2001
    Nice!!! Maybe the villain will be the female but the story could still be the same ;-)