main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Lawrence Kasdan may write Episode 8

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Serpico Jones, Nov 20, 2012.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    I know, right?! I jumped in the air when I saw the news about Kasdan on Facebook. Then I saw he might be writing 8 and 9.

2. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    No, I mean it does not appear that there will be co-writers on any of the films. PERIOD. If we were getting an officially credited co-writer for E7, we'd already know who that person was, as they would've been announced at the same time as Arndt, and if Kinberg and Kasdan were going to co-write one of the other films, the reports from Deadline and THR would reflect this rather than stating rather specifically that the two men will be splitting writing duties on the two episodes.

3. gregvader123

gregvader123 Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 16, 2012
    1) I never said it had to be one person but it makes sense that would be because that's simplest. Why hire more that one writer to write was is essentially one movie? It's unnecessarily complicating things.

2) So its stated fact that Kasdan is writing Star Wars then? What about Arndt being officially hired to write the script? And yes I'm discounting it. I'm discounting anything that isn't official. When Lucasfilm says Kasdan is writing then I'll believe it, but for now I believe what they told me and that is that Arndt is writing and if you think otherwise then you're the idiot so pull your head out of your ass.

3) Stop making this sound like a partnership. Disney OWNS Lucasfilm and you can be sure as **** that Kathleen's bosses at Disney will have final say on EVERYTHING. You think they're not gonna go over Episode VII with a fine toothed comb before releasing it? After paying billions for it? Again, pull your head out of your ass.

4. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    But in the early drafts of TPM Obi-Wan is the one who finds Anakin who is actually somewhat older. If he wrote detailed treatments for all three, he'd have likely stayed on track with that instead of giving too much time to Qui-Gon and Jar Jar which had implications for the next movies. I also get a feeling he didn't know who the villains of AOTC and ROTS would be (aside from Palps) before he started writing those movies (wasn't there supposed to be a Sith witch at some point?). Not to mention, ROTS was changed quite a bit in post-production (which is why some people have trouble with Anakin's turn).

5. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    The wording is ambiguous. "The pair will write either Episode VIII or Episode IX -- their exact division of responsibilities is yet to be determined -- and also will come aboard to produce the films." IOW, they may be writing separate episodes or writing together, and it is not yet clear which is true.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  6. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    I agree 100%. I'm just saying that Arndt is all we have to go on officially so lets not get ahead of ourselves. Yes it's quite possible they will bring in other writers--look at Indy 4, how many writers did they go through before settling on a script? But ideally you would think that they would pitch it to Arndt and he would hit a home run, right? Why go through a whole team of writers unless the first guy already tried and failed?

7. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Point 1: You really need to actually READ the reports we just got concerning Kasdan and Kinberg.

Point 2: Because The Hollywood Reporter corroborated Deadline's report, yes, I would say that it's a fact that Kinberg and Kasdan will be handling writing duties for one of the films in the Sequel Trilogy. You seem to have missed the part in both articles -if you even bothered to read them at all - that specifically mentioned which episodes the two men were being looked at for, though, because nowhere did anyone say that Kasdan and Kinberg's being hired supplants Arndt writing Episode 7. That's something you pulled out of your rear-end.

Point 3: Actually, if you look at the way Pixar and Marvel operate - and Kathleen Kennedy's role as officially announced by Disney when they announced their purchase of Lucasfilm - this IS a partnership. Kennedy will have final say on the production of this Sequel Trilogy; she's the President of Lucasfilm, the Executive Producer of this Sequel Trilogy, and the Brand Manager for the Star Wars property. Disney themselves said as much, and, even if they hadn't, all you have to do is look at the way they've allowed their aforementioned subsidiary companies of Pixar and Marvel to operate as an example of how they'll be handling things vis a vis Lucasfilm.

solojones and LawJedi like this.
  8. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    I was going on the assumption that Lucas wrote drafts first then gave it to the writer who proceeded to write draft one, draft two...etc. Guess I should have made that clear but I thought it was assumed

9. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    But those are minor issues. Here's his summary of what's going to happen in each movie in the introduction to the special editions, from 1997:

"The first film starts with the last age of the Republic, which is it's getting tired, it's old, it's getting corrupt. There's the rise of the Sith, who are becoming a force, and in the backdrop of this we have Anakin Skywalker, a young boy who is destined to be a significant player in bringing balance back to the Force and to the Republic. Then in the second film we get into more of that turmoil. It's the beginning of the Clone Wars, it's the beginning of the end of democracy in the Republic, sort of the beginning of the end of the Republic. And it's Anakin Skywalker beginning to deal with some of his more intense emotions of anger, hatred, sense of loss, possessiveness, jealousy, and the other things he has to cope with. And then we will get to the 3rd film where he is seduced to the dark side."
    So, that's a fairly accurate summary of the major developments in each film. He didn't have anything like that before the making of the OT, AFAIK.

10. gregvader123

Nov 16, 2012
    Yeah just by the last line about being seduced to the darkside. Before the OT Anakin wasn't Darth Vader. That synopsis was written much later.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  11. The_Four_Dot_Elipsis

The_Four_Dot_Elipsis Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 3, 2005
    Kasdan involved at all makes me a very happy camper.

Hell, Kasdan doing genre again makes me a very happy camper. None of this touchy-feely Kevin Kline crap anymore, please Larry.

FinleySlade likes this.
  12. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    It's absolute nirvana. I get to enjoy making jokes about Mumford, Dreamcatcher and Grand Canyon for the next three years. Then at the end of it, I get to bathe in the warm glow of "Lawrence Kasdan raped my childhood" reactions from cynical, over the hill geeks who are still butthurt about Prometheus. [face_love] Heck, bring Kurtz onboard too, let him have a taste of internet-era Star Wars.

13. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    Nah, Lucas will be blamed for everything anyway and won't get any credit anything good.

Count Yubnub and LawJedi like this.
  14. drg4

drg4 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2005
    For the reasons you stated, I'm actually intrigued by the prospect of a "comeback" failure.

If Revenge of the Sith turned out to be better than any of the Sequel Films, I'd laugh my tuckus off.

15. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I'm just going to address this point very quickly.

In what universe does any studio do things based on efficiency? At least on the production end of things, they do some of the most insanely nonsensical things, even on the good productions, if they think it might be to their advantage somehow. Don't ever assume logic applies to this industry. People here are crazy.

Edit and addendum: this goes triple for anything Disney is involved in. No joke.

FinleySlade likes this.
  16. Darth Stream

Darth Stream Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 3, 2012
    I think that it is a gossip - probably Arndt didn't finished the EP7 script so there is no point to make script for next chapter.
    Also i think that Arndt will do the rest of Episodes - maybe with help of other screenwrites.
    I believe that they want to hire a new generations of filmmakers and screenwriters and Kasdan probably don't count.

17. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Stuff changes in Hollywood all the time, especially with writers. Have you ever heard of WGA Arbitration hearings?

FinleySlade likes this.
  18. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    I think a large percentage of people here simply don't know how movies are made.

Coruscant, KED12345, yodasbum and 2 others like this.
  19. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    To be fair, it is a crazypants process.

LawJedi likes this.
  20. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I, for one, hope that Arndt will write the whole trilogy.

"We don't need his help"
    /LM

21. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    I think Disney wants to get this trolley rolling, quick. Like Pixar and Marvel (the models for this) they have multiple teams working on multiple movies all at once (each one is now putting out at least a single flick a year, Marvel is gonna average 2 for the next three years) so they're trying to move something in that direction, of course, options are a bit limited since they're coming out of the gate with an interconnected trilogy. Once that's down, and they can blow the roof off Star Wars-related projects, then I think it'll move more firmly into Pixar / Marvel territory of multiple films being worked on at once.

22. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I think that this was the main problem (seconded by ****** dialogues and whiny actors LOL) of the PT. They spent a lot of time setting up the stories and had to rush to the conclusion at the end. The turning to Vader was horribly rushed and IMHO not really believable. Some important issues were never answered, like the whole Syfo Dias buisness or how the force ghosting actually works. Padmes death was also a lackluster.

23. LANDO_ROCKS

LANDO_ROCKS Force Ghost star 5

Nov 28, 2002
    I posted that it was a good idea in the 'who will write'thread, okay I didn't make election pins or anything.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  24. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    Well, if it turns out that this is true and these guys will co-produce the trilogy and write one episode (each?), I guess it'll turn out great.
    I just have one question: Kinberg as screenwriter for Star Wars? Does he have what it takes to deal with something this profound?
    If he's going to do this, I'll keep my faith in KK, though. Time will tell if she makes the right calls.

"Trust him!"
    /LM

25. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    This is great news if true. If they're working off a treatment for all three films, it makes sense to me that they would want to get working on the scripts sooner rather than later and having Kasdan back would be fantastic news. Kinberg is a talented writer too and very experienced so that's also no bad thing. It will be interesting to see if Kasdan and Kinberg are going to be involved as Producers too. I think if this does pan out, while you would have three writers they would all collaborate across the trilogy (a kind of Pixar brains trust set up). It would also suggest they want to eradicate the kind of issues that arose in the first two trilogies where certain ideas weren't set up and developed as well as they could have been (in the PT for example, had GL had the whole thing down before he started he could have threaded the various villains through more) and also avoid inconsistencies where plans changed (in the OT the whole Luke/ Leia thing). It shows a determination to get this trilogy as right as they can. All very positive. If true.

As already mentioned, anyone who thinks this all sounds weird doesn't really understand how Hollywood works.

Fettcrom likes this.