main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Truncated Posts

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Grimby , Sep 2, 2012.

1. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I called this two months ago...

Juliet316 and TrakNar like this.
  2. EmpressJainaSoloFel

EmpressJainaSoloFel Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 3, 2009
    I guess the complaining stems from the fact that we are not able to see how much work is going into this. We get that Disney buying LF increased traffic, but the boards went live WELL before that happened, and this has been a known issue for a while. If there is work going on, people can't see it, leading to the feeling that nothing is being done/existing users don't matter.

Random Comments likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    ... and we deserve to have our registration fee refunded.

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Lies! We don't zone out! I've tried to read them, and it's driving me crazy that I can't see it all.

5. Jinn is MINE

Jinn is MINE Jedi Knight star 3

May 12, 2005
    I saw that the message on top about fixing the truncated posts was gone, so I tried some of my Qui-Gon links in the index, but they're still cut off. :_|

How goes the restoration?

6. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Guys, the people that are doing the work on this site are doing this voluntarily in their free time. They have jobs, families, school, etc. It makes sense that their priority is getting the site fully functional for the upcoming movies and the traffic they're going to generate. That work affects the whole forum... all of us. While I'm sure it's an inconvenience to you, the shortened fanfic posts affect a handful of people. I'm sure it's not personal, but it makes sense that their priorities lie with what affects the site as a whole.

Also, save your work someplace other than a thread on a message board... technology is unstable... save it to your computer or a flash drive. That way, should technology fail in some way, as it frequently does, your work is still intact and available to you.

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    ...or sign up for a Gmail account and make use of the 5GB free Google Drive that comes with it.

8. The1stJediPrincess

The1stJediPrincess Jedi Master star 2

Sep 20, 2010
    I am rewriting my fan fic. I have most of my posts saved on my flash drive, but for some reason did not save all. It's all good. I can redo it and improve it.

9. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    I have not had an issue with truncat

10. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I hate like hell to be one of those people that takes every opportunity to advertise their site, but go to Absolute Knave, where I am slowly archiving all my reviews and such. There's not much there yet, but I hope to get everything up there eventually.

11. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    I have all my fanfics backed up and posted on another site, but it will still be nice to see the boards fully restored.

12. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    Thanks. I'll take a look when I switch to a computer.

13. thesevegetables

thesevegetables Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 11, 2012
    I know when we'll get the posts back! The full posts will be back on

14. jcgoble3

jcgoble3 Chosen One star 6

Nov 7, 2010
    I think it's been largely overlooked (at least here in Comms) that the truncation issue has a significant effect on the RPF as well as fanfic. I'm beginning to near a point in the Elite League Limmie game where I will need access to truncated posts to locate past story details (minor character names, seemingly offhand mentions that will begin to play a larger role, etc.) in order to continue my character's storyline.

So here's my question: I understand (and correct me if I'm wrong) that the full text of truncated posts is present in the database, but just not displaying. If the issue is not fixed soon, would it be possible at all for the admins to dig into the database file itself, extract the text of one or more specific requested posts, and email them to me? I don't care if the post is badly formatted as long as I can get the information I need. It's going to be at least a couple of weeks before I need anything (and that specific piece of information may be in the portion of the post before the truncation point and thus accessible), but the time will come eventually. Is this possible or not?

15. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I'm pretty sure the truncated post info is not in our database, otherwise we'd have figured something out by now. It's still in IGN's database, which we don't have access to. How old is the information that you might need - 2010-2012 or older?

16. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    Probably no older than October or November 2011.

17. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Then you'd be out of luck. We have an old copy of the IGN database from 2010 that we used for information when we thought we'd be going to VBulletin.

18. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    OK, then, I guess I'll hope that I can find somebody that backed up the thread before the move and still has the backup. Thanks anyway.

19. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    You could PM one of the forum mods. They might have more information on any backed-up data.

20. jcgoble3

Nov 7, 2010
    I'll keep that in mind, but for now I posted in the game's discussion thread to see if the GM or any other players have a backup.

21. Mirax Terrik

Mirax Terrik Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 11, 2000
    I just wanted to pop in and thank everyone that's spending their free time working on this problem. I love that you guys have our concerns in mind, especially since it would have been trivially easy for you to lie and tell us the posts are unrecoverable, and appreciate that your first concern is keeping the forums running. Truncation be damned if I can't be here with fellow JC members.

22. TrakNar

TrakNar Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 4, 2011
    I'm just happy that the truncation issue doesn't affect new posts. I have most, if not all of my fics backed up somewhere else, either online elsewhere, in a document, or even hand-written. But, it's nice to know that the issue is still being looked into.

23. margaretsullivan

margaretsullivan Jedi Youngling

Dec 7, 2012
    Great Post....!!!!

24. Sethathoryunet

Sethathoryunet Jedi Master star 1

May 8, 2004
    It's a bit of a bummer this truncated post thing. I've discovered so many stories that are fantast...! But I can't finish them yet. But I can wait. Heck, you mysterious people behind our computer screens have done a fantastic job at moving things, and finding stuff is so much easier too. Really clean and simple. You have my vote! ^:)^

25. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    well, I am trying to have patience and I do have faith that the truncating will get fixed eventually.