main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Prequel's Anakin

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    One of the major reasons people dislike the prequel is that the Anakin in prequel was a lot different than the bad *** Darth Vader in OT. I also like RotS novel's dark Anakin a lot, but think about it. If Anakin really was a powerful and determined individual like Exar Kun or Darth Kyrat before he became Sith, I don't see how would he turn to the Dark Side then redeem himself through his son's love. Ulic and Revan were turned by poison/mind control.

2. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

WIERD_GREEN_MAN Jedi Knight star 4

Dec 16, 2010
    And Ulic and Revan were turned back through love, right?

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Fixed because I can't stand blanket generalizations, i.e. "people" like this and "people" like that.

But anyway, I agree with you. And I'd say the reverse is true as well. Only speaking for myself--I could not stand ANH and ESB Darth Vader. There was nothing "cool" or "badass" about him as I saw it; he was the epitome of ***holery who choked innocent people because he could and took great pleasure out of the idea that everyone except Tarkin was scared to death of him. Again from my end, I could not see what was likable at all about that.

I did like ROTJ Vader, particularly from the middle of the movie when it was very obvious that Anakin Skywalker was slowly re-emerging under that mask. And I loved PT Anakin. Even in the scenes when I wanted to reach through my screen and slap him back to the Outer Rim, I still loved him. (And there were more scenes in which I wanted to hug him than scenes in which I wanted to slap him, but the "he needs to be slapped" scenes did exist).

4. sinkie

sinkie Jedi Padawan star 1

May 27, 2004
    I think we can safely coin a new term here: a Vader Hater! ;)

And if you're talking about the Mr Potatohead version: a Vader Tater Hater!

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  5. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Revan was turned back through strike team.

CT-867-5309 and WIERD_GREEN_MAN like this.
  6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But they were turned to Sith only because some plot device.

7. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    I know more about Ulic than I know about Revan. And was Ulic really turned for some plot device?

8. WIERD_GREEN_MAN

Dec 16, 2010
    Plus Bastila!

9. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Sith poison.

10. -NaTaLie-

-NaTaLie- Force Ghost star 4

Nov 5, 2001
    I can't say I like Anakin (the way I like Luke), but I can certainly understand him. He's made of contradictions, and that's why he's, hands down, the most realistic character in the saga.

11. TheMadHatter

TheMadHatter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 16, 2009
    I'd say Luke hands down was the most realistic character in the saga

12. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    Luke is a classic hero archetype. He's relatable (at least in ANH), but he doesn't have as many realistic characteristics as Anakin.

13. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    we have to agree to disagree

14. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    It depends on what you understand by "realistic".

15. TheMadHatter

Sep 16, 2009
    obviously different to yours,

it's relative anyway.

16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    It is relative, but among OT characters, I found Han far more realistic than Luke.

As far as Anakin, I didn't always approve of how he reacted to various events and situations--in fact, I often didn't--but up until midway through ROTS, I generally understood what was going on with him. Luke often seemed too good to be true. I like Luke in ANH and ESB and love him in ROTJ, but "relatable" isn't a word I would use to describe him and I'm not sure "realistic" is either.

17. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    yeah when I say Luke, I was using it in terms of ANH and for the most part ESB,

Han is realistic in a sense

I suppose the more I think about it realistic characters are probably Obi-Wan and Lando

I think they are the most human anyway.

Luke has the archtype Hero character

Anakin has the Archtype "tragic" character,

when I said Luke, I was dealing more with how he handles his emotions internally

and I know we have a difference of opinion on this Anakinfan, but to me (must emphasize "to me") most realistic people don't fly off the handle and kill everyone in their way (even when someone close to them dies tragically)

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I've never known anyone in Anakin's specific situation--left his mother in slavery when he was 10 years old, not allowed to see her again or contact her, had visions of her being tortured, went after her only to have her die in his arms--knowing that she had been tortured for a month by the beings that were standing just outside the tent.

I would have found it highly unrealistic if he had just taken her body and walked calmly out of the camp, even though obviously that would have been the better reaction. I don't have to endorse what Anakin did to find it realistic, especially for one as powerful and temperamental as Anakin.

A lot of people handle their emotions internally, but that's not the only realistic approach. In fact, I thought Luke was taken too far on this--he found his guardians burned to death and is sloshing back drinks an hour later. I didn't need a sob fest but his at least mentioning Owen and Beru again at some point would have felt more realistic.

Obi-Wan is realistic to a point, and Lando is pretty realistic.

19. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I see what you mean about the tuskens being right outside the tent, I also see that some people (well most) react outwardly in pain, I was more thinking of the "kill Jedi children, the force will be so proud of you if you do it, that you might learn secrets" --- "ok"

Obi-Wan was more realistic in the sense that he did what everyone does when we want someone to see our point of view (I did it just a moment ago) when he told Luke half truths.

I found him realistic in the PT too.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I stopped finding Anakin realistic after the ruminations scene. No, I didn't find his blindly following Palpatine's instructions realistic at all, especially given his history of never blindly following anyone's instructions.

Obi-Wan--definitely a realistic reaction upon being put on the spot by Luke with "How did my father die?"

Sistros likes this.
  21. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    He follows if it suits him. Palpatine offers him what he always wanted - to be the most powerful Jedi ever - and at this point Anakin doesn't seem to care about the consequences anymore.

I also feel this was meant to parallel Vader's downbeaten attitude ROTJ. He just brings Luke to the Emperor without trying something again. It's like Palpatine has always had some kind of a spell over him.

22. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Anakin was a bit misguided. I believe he would have benefited from a stronger more strict Master such as Mace Windu. I love the look on Anakins face when Mace says "Take a Seat Young Skywalker". Anakin knew who he could and could not mess with.

ofikenobi and CT-867-5309 like this.
  23. -NaTaLie-

Nov 5, 2001
    He kind of gives Mace a dirty look even as a kid.
    I like it that there have been so many factors contributing to Anakin's downfall. Ultimately, the choice was his, but the Jedi Order's dogmatic approach to training coupled with their lofty expectations, Palpatine's influence and dissatisfaction with the Republic, as well as personal attachments and PTSD from the war, they all added up to an incredible pressure - more than Luke ever been under, IMO.

24. Felicia

Felicia Jedi Master star 3

Dec 3, 2012
    Qui-Gon made a mistake about saying Anakin was the Chosen One to Anakin. He could have known he was Force sensitive but Anakin became too arrogant and ultimately it was his downfall. Anakin was reckless. Perfect case in point when Obi Wan said to Anakin "Dont try it. I have the high ground." He jumps anyway and loses. He even almost fell off of the platform he and Obi Wan were fighting on before that last scene.

25. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the ESB novel Vader does say to Luke "I destroyed your family. Take your revenge."