main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Remember Revival: they mention the Hydian Way and Sertar Sector yet blatantly disregard Obsession by killing Adi. :rolleyes:
    So yes, I too see it as a giant middle finger to the EU; a sign of things to come.

2. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
  3. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Just how much of the literature set during the Clone Wars (e.g. novels, comics) has been rendered N-Canon by TCW series? I know Obsession, from the Republic comics, has been kicked out, but what about the rest? I think we have to reject Karen Traviss' Republic Commando books, as they seem to conflict too much with the TV show in many regards. Don't know about all the stuff with Quinlan Vos, and everything else in the Republic comics.

4. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    None, that I know of, not even KT's work.

That's not really how they work the canon system, they try to keep everything. Leland Chee isn't in the habit of throwing things out.

5. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    That's not what I've heard.

6. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I'm pretty sure you've heard wrong, or have misunderstood. Inconsistencies do not render entire works non-canon.

Even Piell died in the first Coruscant Nights book, that was changed by TCW, yet Coruscant Nights is still canon to the best of my knowledge.

The Mandos have been changed dramatically in TCW, yet to the best of my knowledge KT's Republic Commando series is still canon.

7. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I imagine other people will have very different things to say about that...

8. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Skirata does get mentioned in Essential Guide to Warfare.

9. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm pretty sure a lot of the pre-TCW material has been jettisoned due to the show, and a lot more will probably be jettisoned yet, unfortunately.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    CT is correct. Never in the history of Star Wars has an entire story been thrown out because one or two details were contradicted. If that were the policy, the Thrawn Trilogy would've been out the door over a decade ago.

Also, "N-canon" is not a thing. Stories that are officially outside of canon are regarded as Infinities.

HedecGa likes this.
  11. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    Indeed. Really the worst that can happen is that the retcon we get is kind of awkward and unconvincing (Palleon's mad clone thing, I am looking at you). Or things go unaddressed and the contradiction just stays...which strikes me as more likely than an entire story being jettisoned.

12. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Throwing out an entire story would be a lot worse than letting an inconsistency stay, at any rate, given the huge ripple effect -- throw out TTT, and what happens to all the references to it in JAT? What about the HoT? What about Isard's Revenge? What about the usage of Thrawn's tactics in the NJO? etc etc.

That'd be insane. If one tiny bit is inconsistent, we throw out or explain away that tiny bit. We're pretty good at it. And even when we're not, we have people like Abel, Dan, Pablo, and Jason who basically make this kind of stuff into an art form.

Zorrixor and Esg like this.
  13. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I don't particularly like the manner in which all stories after AOTC where Anakin is still a Padawan have been compressed into the first month after the Battle of Geonosis, as Anakin is already a full Knight at the beginning of TCW, which occurs about four weeks after Geonosis (according to The Essential Reader's Companion).

14. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I don't like it either, as I am a big fan of rthe Jabiim arc, but it happened with the classic post-ANH EU ages ago. We survived.

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    I think in Wild Space, the events of the TCW movie take place about 3 weeks after his Knighting. And his Knighting takes place about 4 weeks into the war.

16. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    With a great deal of TCW, I'm tempted to apply the Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor approach: That's it's heavily fictionalized accounts of what transpired, written down a long while later. That way we can keep in the bits we don't mind, but anything we're uncomfortable with can be safely dismissed as historical inaccuracies.

17. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I'm pretty sure The Essential Reader's Companion has the TCW film as being approximately four weeks after Geonosis.

18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    The fictionalized account described at the end of Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor differs substantially from the one presented as the narrative. Thus, the narrative itself was not cast as a fictionalized account.

Esg likes this.
  19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  20. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Like who?

21. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012

So.... you don't like something, so it becomes "N"-Cannon?

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
  23. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    The way I see it, the dramatic changes in the Clone Wars timeline by TCW might as well be throwing out the multimedia project works, because I can't envision anything but the old timeline happening.

24. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    Obsession isn't in good shape.

25. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    I recall reading that Obsession officially doesn't count anymore.

There are a number of things in Karen Traviss' Republic Commando books that don't align with TCW. For one thing, the novel True Colors shows that the future health of the clones is not high on the list of the Republic's priorities, when TCW shows that the Republic places great importance on the well-being of the clones, with things like the Kaliida Shoals facility dedicated to their health. Since TCW takes precedence over any of the literature, that's the Republic Commando books out. The young adult Boba Fett novels published by Scholastic are most likely out too.