main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Irony of ironies is that canon actually fit together better before any of Travis work, and if you ignore it TCW also works better with the Pre Traviss stuff.

As did the other Clone Wars stories before Traviss.

Sadly yes.

2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wellbeing of clone health during the war is a different thing from wellbeing after the war.

3. Brenapp

Brenapp Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I'd like to think that Yoda: Dark Rendezvous and Labyrinth of Evil won't get negated; those two are among my favorite Clone Wars books.

4. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Worse jobs around than Veteran storm trooper or Private Security Expert ;)

5. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Is there still room for Quinlan Vos to have gone over to Dooku's side for a little while, as was shown in the Dark Horse comics? I have heard that Lucas likes the character very much (and actually requested that Vos not be killed off in the Dark Horse comic, possibly so Lucas could pick up his story later on), so maybe he'd pay more attention to not disrupting Vos' saga?

6. Gorefiend

Oct 23, 2004
    Easily Dooku seems to always be running schemes in the background.

7. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Me thinks [snip].

-No need to call out another member like that. -Sx3

Dr. Steve Brule likes this.
  8. HedecGa

HedecGa Jedi Master star 4

Apr 19, 2006
    Just wanted to say that, for the record, I got my copy of Darth Maul: Shadow Conspiracy from Amazon the other day. It is awesome. The episodes, themselves, seem like they're going to be really epic (this season certainly needs it), but beyond that, Jason Fry's depiction of those episodes and his constant EU references made for a very thrilling read. He takes all the "New Mandalorian" retcons he's been making in his SW non-fiction pursuits and adapts them to a fictional narrative, getting Vizla and Satine's thoughts on the subject of Mandalorian history as we've seen it depicted throughout the EU. He certainly makes the most out of a bad situation with that, almost to the point that you would never know there were any inconsistencies. He works it beautifully into the existing story of the episodes. Also, he made mention of Maul remembering when he crippled Black Sun and getting a chuckle that the new leaders don't recognize him (as I realize the show will not make mention of that old--and cool--comic series). Great stuff.

9. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    What happens to Maul after Palpatine spares him? Why does Palpatine spare him?
    I didn't think this book was due for a while, but there you go.

10. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, I think that in all our worrying we've lost track of the fact that it's Jason writing the damn book.

Well you are in luck, because I can promise you you did not, in fact, read that.

Your personal canon sounds proletarian and boring, and could use a little joie de vivre. :p

11. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I remember when I thought like that. At first you are all smiles and then while you watch the episode:
    [​IMG]

I can't tell what's crap infested and what's not anymore.

Arawn_Fenn, Esg and instantdeath like this.
  12. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Your reading way too much into everything and hanging on way too much character POV. Kaliida Shoals exists to patch up Clones and keep them fighting - not to be a retirement home. While Clone health might not have been a top priority to the Republic it still managed to get Corr prosthetic arms right in those novels. The RC books are not out at all, neither is the YA Fett stuff at this point either.

Valin__Kenobi likes this.
  13. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    Also, one thing to remember is that not all clones would be treated fairly. Some of their commanders would have been nice to them, others would have disliked them and some would have been cruel. Kota didn't like clones and he just relied on volunteer forces to fight the Separatists. Krell, even though he was mad, was noted to had won campaigns but had lost loads of clones in the process and he was very dismissive of them. Sure, he was also intentionally being that but I could imagine other Jedi or Republic commanders being like that. Another example even if not a Clone Wars combatant is C'baoth who was very arrogant and dismissive of others. Not everyone would be like Anakin or Kenobi or *insert good nice Jedi/Republic commander here*. So, elements of RC can still be valid... mind you, I actually dislike the parts where it projects the view that the only approach to take is that the clones were abused and victimized constantly by the cruel Republic and the Jedi.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    If C'baoth had made it to the Clone Wars, I could see him going out exactly like Krell.

Slater, Mia Mesharad and Cronal like this.
  15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    If C'baoth were alive and about, there wouldn't have been a Clone Wars. C'baoth would have sat down with the Separatist Council and boomed "HOW DARE YOU!" and they would have been cowed.

C'baoth is the greatest negotiator of all time.

16. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    I was surprised that the book was out as well. I pre-ordered it back in June or whatever and, lo, they said the release date had been moved up and within three days I had it.

In response to your question:

Well, that was the only strange thing--that's exactly where the book ends, so there isn't much in the way of outcome or explanation. I guess it's a setup for Maul's future appearances in the following season? In fact, it's sort of ambiguous if he even did spare him--but Sidious has a line of dialogue that makes it sound like he has plans for him--if only just to further torture him--and I imagine the show won't want to expire him just yet.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    OMG!
    Grievous in RotS was really Maul's brain all along!!

18. Brenapp

Nov 26, 2012
    Oh, that's cute, very cute. For your information, the things I post here aren't just made up out of thin air; I report them from other sources I've read. Wookieepedia states that Obsession is now considered apocryphal - I didn't make this decision, Lucasfilm did. The Essential Reader's Companion highlights the discontinuities between the Republic Commando books and TCW.

19. HedecGa

Apr 19, 2006
    Wookieepedia is not official source, tho.

And the ERC states facts about continuity errors, but doesn't say that one is no longer canon.

20. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    Called it.

VENAMIS two-point-oh!!!!:p

Edit: Since he's active here today, it might be time to activate the [JACE] signal again: jasonfry
    Anything you can share with us?

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    While there's no need for anyone here to be impolite about it, the fact is that the Wook simply can't be considered an official source. What's more, when they mark something as apocryphal (which, after glancing over there, they don't seem to have done with Obsession, so I'm not even sure what you're referring to), all they're really saying is "this story contains contradictory elements and can't be entirely trusted".

The Reader's Companion's statement on continuity (page ix of the intro) is a much better guide - LFL tries to fit in as much as they can, and only when something is specifically contradicted by George does it cease to "happen". And even then, a lot of effort is put into coming up with workarounds - Mandalore is a great example where TCW is concerned, and it sounds like the book of Shadow Conspiracy will continue this tradition.

22. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    [​IMG]

SithStarSlayer, Ulicus and Esg like this.
  23. Danz Borin

Danz Borin Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 16, 2012
    Really? Your not making things up from thin air? You have sources? Then perhaps.... you should TAG along those sources, and cite them. Otherwise, I assume it comes from you - just as anyone else would.

And saying things like, "RC novels make it seem like the Republic doesn't care about clones post-War... but that one episode of TCW said there's a health facility during the war - OMGZ!! THUS! RC is gone! Voided!"

Things like that really make it sound like your stretching to just erase EU, particularly EU you may not (may) like. It really seems like you are coming in here and going, "I heard, from John, whose brother is Joe, who was neighbors with Jim, that because that one line in RC said how humans are 5'4" and the TCW show said that humans are 5'5", the RC novels are ruined and no longer EU." and that really comes off as childish and rubbish.

CT-867-5309 and Esg like this.
  24. Cronal

Cronal Jedi Master star 4

Dec 17, 2009
    I think I found a new addition for my signature :p

Force Smuggler likes this.
  25. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Danz, it really seems like you're coming here and starting fights with everyone you see, often on the basis of simple disagreements and innocent misunderstandings. Lord knows you're not interested in my opinion, and that's fine, but I will tell you that you're not going to last long around here if you don't learn how to dial it down a bit.