main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT When did Anakin become a Jedi Knight?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by dolphin, Jan 10, 2013.

1. dolphin

dolphin Chosen One star 5

Nov 5, 1999
    When Anakin took on Ahsoka as Padawan, we can assume he was no longer himself a Padawan since only Knights and Masters can have understudies. When did this take place? Is there an episode in the TCW series, Clone Wars, where he graduates?

I also don't recall Obi Wan becoming a Jedi Master although the answer to the Anakin question addresses Obi-Wan since Jedi can become Masters when their Padawans (in this case Anakin) become Knights.

Thanks.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  2. Darthbane2007

Darthbane2007 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2007
    I think in the first Clone Wars Cartoon in the third season, Anakin was knighted in the first episode...

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    In answer to your question: NO, TCW does not address Anakin's knighting nor Obi-Wan's elevation to Master or to the Council.

Wild Space, the book written as a tie in to TCW, even has Obi-Wan *not* yet a Council member, which contradicts TCW.

4. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    "Star Wars: Clone Wars" micro-series. Chapter 21.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  5. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Yup - in the micro series, but not in TCW (which I believe was the focus of the question).

Ambervikings91 likes this.
  6. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    In TCW book Wild Space, at the beginning there's a part that follows the events post AOTC. Now it doesn't show Anakin knighted I believe, but there's a part between Yoda and Obi-Wan who insists Anakin isn't ready to become a Knight, but Yoda tells him to get him ready b/c with the war they'll need more Knights. So I think it happened not long after AOTC

7. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Wild Space also had a timeframe:

"Seven weeks after the Battle of Geonosis - not quite three weeks after Anakin farewelled without regret his Padawan braid - Dooku's Separatist forces launched a brutal multipronged attack on the Republic."

So, he was knighted just over 4 weeks into the war.

8. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    Apparently none of the Clone Wars era EU material that was produced before the TCW show can be considered canon now. A lot of it has been/is being contradicted by the TV show and screen is considered higher canon than print. In other words, nobody really knows when Anakin was knighted! :confused:

Master Jordan likes this.
  9. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Sure we do - after he'd been a padawan for years.

[face_laugh]

hlc88 and Force Smuggler like this.
  10. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Dates, yes- but not necessarily the events themselves.

11. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    That's true - the events may still be canon, as long as they are not contradicted by TCW. The problem is that future TCW episodes could contradict EU sources that are currently considered canon, so we don't know what will or won't end up as a 'canon event'. It's rather frustrating!

12. Eryndil

Dec 18, 2012
    By the way, this is where Leland Chee (SW continuity guy) explains about the Clone Wars timeline. He clarifies that Anakin is already a Knight and Obi-Wan is on the Council by the start of TCW. The series begins "mere months following the Battle of Geonosis" and, as a result, "Many of the dates and events on previously existing EU Clone Wars timelines have been condensed into this period”

I'm not sure what 'mere months' means but it's got to be hard to fit in a lot of the existing EU under this new timeline.

DarthBoba likes this.
  13. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Two months seems reasonable- shortly after Grievous's attack began.

14. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Here you go:

EDIT: Dammit, it doesn't let me link to a specific time. The scene starts around 11:09.

15. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    Is there one with subtitles?

16. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

Canon is determined by LucasFilm and they've said that outside the movies, only Clone Wars (TCW) is canon. We can pretend non contradictory events/characters are canon but it's not "legally" so.

17. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    No.

Films are G-canon; TCW is T-canon; some other things are C-canon, but still canon.

Unlike Star Trek it's all canon.

18. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    ^What Arawn said.

In any case, he was knighted a few months after AOTC.

19. dolphin

Nov 5, 1999

as far as I'm concerned G and T canon = canon. Anything that I can write that could eventually become canon (if published), is not canon. That category includes the EU. But that's my lonesome opinion. :)

20. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon

dolphin likes this.
  21. Darth_Kiryan

Darth_Kiryan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 13, 2009
    was Obi-wan a council member BEFORE Piell's death, or did he take his place AFTER?

22. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Which Piell death? In TCW, I'd say before; I believe he has always been a Council member during TCW and Piell died in TCW (death #2). "Old" canon had him replacing Depa Billaba, whatever year that was.

23. TheRevanchist

TheRevanchist Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 13, 2012
    I think that it is a big contradiction when does Anakin became a knight.

He became a knight in clone wars carton and took Ashoka as his padawan in The Clone Wars movie. In the fifth season of The Clone Wars TV Show, Ashola seems to have grown up which should mean that there have passed some time (probably 2 years) since she became Anakin's Padawan (unless Togruta grown up faster). The problem is that in The Revenge of The Sith novelization, Skywalker mentions that he became a knight about a year ago (or was it 10 months).

24. Ahsoka_Tano_11

Ahsoka_Tano_11 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 30, 2013
    Here we go, straight from Wookieepedia......

Knighting

"Step forward, Padawan. Anakin Skywalker, by the right of the Council, by the will of the Force, dub thee I do… Jedi… Knight of the Republic."
    ―Yoda

After his heroic actions at the Battle of Praesitlyn and upon returning from the Mission to Vjun, Skywalker was endowed with the title of Jedi Knight, despite the fact that he never went through the traditionalJedi Trials before being Knighted. It was a controversial decision; Kit Fisto and Ki-Adi-Mundi openly and zealously supported him, while Oppo Rancisis and Adi Gallia questioned whether Skywalker was mature enough. But in the end, the decision fell to Yoda, who decided to have him Knighted in a secret ceremony. Skywalker later sent his Padawan braid, which had been ritualistically severed by Yoda, to Amidala as a late devotion gift.

zompusbite likes this.
  25. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Was the knighting and the cutting of the braid done with a lightsabre?

Master Jordan likes this.