main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Arena Federer/Nadal/Djokovic Era - Now 1/3rd Over

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Federer looks good to possibly be Australian Open runner up this year. Not bad for a 31-year-old. Eventually, there will come a time, if Roger keeps playing, when he'll fail to reach the quarters of a major. That hasn't happened since 2004, but no one would be surprised to see it happening within the next 18-24 months. The big question I guess is whether he'll retire before that happens, or how long he keeps playing after that happens. His natural elegance of movement has helped keep Federer injury-free all these years, and it may well prolong his career. I don't see him quitting as long as he has a shot at grand slam finals.

Nadal hasn't been so fortunate. Even though Nadal became one of the all-round greats when he was able to adapt his unique playing style to hard court tennis, the effort took a heavy toll on his knees. The rest of Nadal's career is going to be about preserving his joints so he can stretch his Roland Garros record to something no one will be able to match for decades. At least, that's how I hope it plays out.

2. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    it's the era of the big four now. glad murray could finally join the party, with his olympic and subsequent u.s. open win. i'd like to see a fifth player break through and win a major, especially since nadal is so often injured. perhaps this will be the year that tsonga makes the leap. he looks to be in the best shape of his life.

3. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    True. I will not be at all surprised if Tsonga takes out Federer in the quarters.

4. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    And lo, it came to pass: Tsonga and Fed in the quarters. Top 5 men's seeds all into the quarters. Djokovic wins one of the greatest matches I have ever seen. Nice start to the year.

Not so great start for my girlfriend Ana Ivanovic, but she was never going to take out Radwanska. Here's hoping Ivanovic finds her way back into the top ten. I love her...........style.

5. epic

epic Ex Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 4, 1999
    for some reason, i really can't stand Djokovic. shame he won that epic 5 setter. with Fed and Nadal probably fading in the next few years, looks like it will be he v Murray as the main two. despite having almost no charisma whatsoever and generally being fairly unlikeable, i'll take Murray every time.

George Roper likes this.
  6. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    ivanovic is looking even skinnier than usual. i was surprised she could even get the ball over the net. my new fake tennis girlfriend is vika. love her attitude, plus she actually has game. i was so disappointed when she lost that final to serena at the us open.

7. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    "fake tennis girlfriend." You make it sound so cheap.

I don't understand what people dislike about Djokovic. I'm relatively straight, yet my knees still go wobbly when Novak takes off his shirt.

8. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    I used to dislike Djokovic on account of his father, but he seems like a good guy.

9. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    djokovic/berdych starting to get good.

10. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    Great match from Ferrer. Would be cool to see him make the final, tho that quarter will have taken it out of him.

11. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Two thirty somethings in the men's quarters and two thirty something's in the women's quarters. Pensioners' tennis.

MASTERPRENN likes this.
  12. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i loved watching sloane stephens beat serena. it's too bad serena's bad ankle stole a bit of sloane's thunder but it was still a huge win for the player who is probably most likely to inherit serena's role as america's top player. her game is making huge strides.

tsonga off to a slow start here.

edit: now looking much better. this could be a good match!

13. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    going to the 5th, turn it on if you can.

14. yankee8255

yankee8255 Force Ghost star 6

May 31, 2005
    Can't, but I see that Federer is dominating in the 5th, up 4-1.

15. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    And lo, it came to pass. Fed ekes out a 5-set victory, into the semis. Great effort by Tsonga.

16. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    BTW- I was glad Roger came down hard on Lance Armstrong. Part of the reason why I like Tennis players like Roger and Agassi; they speak out on issues that need to be addressed

17. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Djokovic also ripped Armstrong a new one. (link because I can't find a YouTube of it)

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Fed: back to back 5 set matches.

19. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    If I've followed this correctly, Federer is 4 for 4 in tie breakers the last two matches. Makes you wonder if his service return is a bit wanting.

20. epic

Jul 4, 1999
    COME ON MURRAY

halibut likes this.
  21. yankee8255

May 31, 2005
    Murray up a break in the 5th, 3-0.

22. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    LOL @ Federer

23. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    What a match for Murray. Looking forward to an outstanding final.

24. tom

tom Chosen One star 8

Mar 14, 2004
    i wasn't able to stay up for either of the semis, going to try for the final though. last year i was completely wrecked at work the next day but it was worth it.

25. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Federer was extremely lucky to make it into a fifth set at all. He worked it with everything he had but was badly outgunned.