main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Unpopular Star Wars opinions!

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Feelicks, Feb 23, 2013.

1. TheProtocol

TheProtocol Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    I love the Ewoks. I find them endearing and cute. I like when that Ewok is swinging that thing above his head and gets himself lol. And when one if the AT's shoot at two Ewoks and kills one, the other tries to wake the other one up but stops to mourn even though **** is blowing up around him. Very touching.

Don't mind Jar Jar either.

2. 16AndPregnant

16AndPregnant Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 19, 2013
    Damn now THAT is an unpopular opinion.

3. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    No way. Explain.

Marc McAllister likes this.
  4. Ingram_I

Ingram_I Force Ghost star 5

Sep 7, 2012
    1. Bold

2. Add my name to that list as well. Yep.

5. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    Oh, I have another one.

ROTJ is the best film in the entire saga.

Avnar, xezene, Davak24 and 9 others like this.
  6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    The first half takes far too long, too much unneeded slapstick, I refuse to believe that stormtroopers can be defeated by teddy bears, and the conclusion is too neat. My opinion of course.

7. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    Hahahaha yeah "the Emperor's most elite force" gets defeated by a group of teddy bears. What do you mean by the conclusion being too neat? I thought the conclusion was great.

8. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Meh I was just turned off by the whole celebration aspect. I wanted some major character deaths.

DarthIshyZ likes this.
  9. 16AndPregnant

Jan 19, 2013
    Well a redeemed Darth Vader died? They could have made him live. Besides, having everybody die is kinda overrated.

10. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    You are right about that (I'm looking at you Mass Effect 3).

starmin76 likes this.
  11. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    I don't mind the Midichlorians idea (even tho I'm not keen on TPM) .

Don't really like McDiarmid's performance as the Emperor in ROJ , it's too pantomime .

12. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    ESB is overrated. I can't remember if I put it at the bottom of my last saga ranking, but I might if I did the poll right now. Don't get me wrong, the action is great, Yoda's great and Luke's side of the story with Vader is great, but just about everything else either bores or annoys me. Han and Leia come off as the worst, most eye-rolling example of the typical Hollywood screwball "let's bicker and fight like spoiled children instead of actually express our feelings for each other" school of romance. Their scenes together and the dialogue they're forced to say come off as hammy and gag-worthy at best ("laser brain!" "who's scruffy lookin'?") and immature at worst. Why don't they ever get singled out for whining?

Besides that. I'm ambivalent about Peter Suschitzky's lighting throughout. It's gorgeous, but it has a little too much of that classic Hollywood sheen at times, instead of the documentary feeling of ANH.

13. Adrian the Cool

Adrian the Cool Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    STAR WARS: '... a film with comic book characters, an unbelievable story,
    no political or social commentary, lousy acting, preposterous dialogue
    and a ridiculous simplistic morality. In other words: a BAD MOVIE.' - The New Yorker '77

14. Vthuil

Vthuil Force Ghost star 5

Jan 3, 2013
    Source? I can't imagine that's real - it looks too much like a stereotypical pretentious critic to believe.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  15. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Ooh, I'm really gonna have to disagree with you on that point. ESB has the best cinematography in the series, IMO. That rich, romantic style really fits the series well, IMO. I always wished the other episodes had been shot as beautifully. The cinematography of ROTJ and the prequels is honestly dreadful at moments (though admittedly quite beautiful at a few others)

But, while we're on the topic of ESB hating, I will say that I've always thought the Battle of Hoth was lame. Something about it just feels really flat to me. I'm never able to actually feel any excitement when I watch it.

kainee likes this.
  16. rpeugh

rpeugh Force Ghost star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    Padme's funeral should have been deleted in ROTS.
    The delivery of Leia to Alderaan should have been deleted in ROTS.
    The shot of Theed Palace at the end of ROTS should have been deleted.

Seriously, the ending of ROTS gave me too much of a Return of the King vibe, and it would have been a much smoother ending with better flow if it had just focused only on the father and son; not the father, the mother, the son, and the daughter. It would have also been a smoother transition to ANH.

Also, the deletion of the entire rebel alliance subplot in ROTS is the best editing decision of the entire PT.

17. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    It's beautiful, but that's kind of my point. It's too beautiful at times. The stuff on Hoth and much of the Han & Leia stuff in general especially has more of the Hollywood gloss look than I care for. Part of what makes "Star Wars" such an interesting franchise is the way that it marries fantasy with cinema-verite techniques, and uses that to help build such a convincing reality. ESB only really has that on Dagobah and in Cloud City (especially during the duel).

I'm quite fond of David Tattersall's photography in the prequels for how it injects some of the Suschitzky-esque sculptorly lighting, but keeps it just flat and muted enough in terms of color for it to look a little more down to earth. The use of primaries in those films especially reminds me of Raul Coutard's work with Godard.

18. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    TPM:

Jar Jar doesn't get annoying until Tatooine.
    Naboo should have been investigated by the Jedi and thrown out of the Republic millennia ago.

AOTC:

The scenes of the clones advancing into the dust is some of the best imagery in the saga.
    Sand People have rights too.

ROTS:

The opening battle is a chaotic mess. It's also the best battle scene in the saga.
    Sidious won.
    Grievous is boring.
    Vader burning is one of the most horrific sequences in cinema.

ANH:

Too much 'importance' is given to the Star Destroyer opening and not enough to Vader's début. Not in terms of the film itself but the cultural impact. The SD shot is striking, but Vader's first few seconds are lasting.

ESB:

Luke Vs. Vader is the best duel in the saga

ROTJ:

The film is about an hour too short.

Series wide:

Pernilla August is the most underrated performer in the entire saga.
    The Chosen One plot line is horrible and should never have been introduced.
    There's a lot of people in love with the idea of the Prequels rather than the films themselves.

19. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Hence the backlash against expectations. Or are you referring to something else?

I can honestly say that I love the Prequels for the films themselves, personally. Without them, I probably would've been sucked entirely down the otaku rabbit hole.

20. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    A bit of that. I'll be the first to admit that I'm guilty of it, even though I was only 9 when I saw TPM in the cinema I went in expecting something very different. But having different expectations isn't a fault.

More I think there's a lot of people who can see the grand connections (on all levels) to the earlier films and Lucas' overall vision and point to those, while refusing to acknowledge the flaws in the films and why people take issue with them. I see it somewhat in the same light as BioWare apologists in the wake of the Mass Effect 3 endings.

On the otherhand, bashers do the same. Point to a few niggles and refuse to acknowledge all the great stuff in the prequels and pretend the OT is some flawless masterpiece.

21. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jun 9, 2003
    Yeah, those two things cancel each other out for me, personally. The only real issues I had with the PT when they came out were either cosmetic or narrative quirks that are given to arise when you do a largscale flashback like that. Why does the technology of an era before the OT look so much more advanced? Because the movie was made in the 90's, not the 70's. Why are we shown all the Jedi skills and abilities without any real explanation of what they are? Because getting exposition like that would be redundant for audiences who'd already seen it in the OT. There are big-picture rationalizations you can make of course, but once realism sets in, the nitpicking instinct dies down a bit. For me, at least.

Besides that, I've never really avoided the flaws of the PT, but for the most part I've always seen them as being the same problems or at least equivalent to the ones in the OT. Everything, or at least most things, balance themselves out.

22. StarWarsVerses

StarWarsVerses Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 14, 2013
    Death Star I was an inside job.

23. Zane the Reaper

Zane the Reaper Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 5, 2012
  24. Feelicks

Feelicks Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 7, 2012
    The Yoda v.s. Dooku fight is the weakest in the entire saga.

25. bellatroll

bellatroll Jedi Knight star 1

Feb 21, 2013
    Yes. Its awful.

Darth Downunder likes this.