main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Which piece of Star Wars music always gives you tingles down the spine?

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Hermi_Odle, Dec 5, 2012.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    The music is well done across the board

But The Imperial March stands out for me.

2. anakin-the-chosen-one

anakin-the-chosen-one Jedi Master

Feb 17, 2013
    For me, Anakin's Betrayal is such an emotional and haunting piece, it tears me up every time. aaaaah no I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. ):

3. Eryndil

Eryndil Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 18, 2012
    I can't pick just one, so:

Duel of the Fates
    Anakin's Betrayal
    Leia's Theme

I also really like the celebration music at the end of ROTJ - but that may just be nostalgia :D

4. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Surprised nobody has put this yet- The cue that plays when Luke goes ballistic on Vader in ROTJ (go start around 1:03 for maximum effect)

This moment in the film is one of the most cinematically perfect movie moments of all time, and the cue that JW came up with is absolutely haunting. You can feel the entire weight of the saga crushing down on this one singular moment. The choral elements work great when watching the films in order because they provide a chilling callback to the opera-heavy music of the prequels, even further lending to the climactic quality of it all. This is a cue that I try not to listen to too many times, simply because i'm afraid its impact will lessen when I rewatch the films.

5. Karriz

Karriz Jedi Padawan

Jan 26, 2013
    ^ That one, indeed.

I also like Emperor's Throne Room, The Imperial March and Here They Come.

6. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    I love the entire soundtrack of ROTS.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  7. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    So, a lot of people have said Duel of the Fates, but no one has posted it. Here it is:

The music video is great, too, because it inserts lines from the film and really brings what episode I is about into focus, but so does the piece itself, so I'll just let this stand alone. It's amazing how Williams really carries the prequels. He is inextricable for Star Wars as a whole, but the burden was really cast on him, not on purpose, but due to their flaws, to really cast the new trilogy in the Star Wars mold.

My second choice, searching for something that hasn't been said and leaning prequels, was Battle of the Heroes. It draws out the emotion and significance of the moment: this is what the Prequels were all about, setting up this fight, and its aftermath. Everything else was just a preface. And, while the music itself I wouldn't say quite brings out the goosebumps for me, Obi-Wan shouting, "You were the chosen one!" gets me every time, and without this piece, that line would probably have fallen quite flat, especially given how little is said. This music provides all the words that aren't being said.

8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Hate to be "that guy", especially because I like your post, but Battle of the Heroes was not playing in that scene. It was this track:

Darth_Deception likes this.
  9. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    [face_blush]

Thanks for pointing that out, actually. I kind of felt something off about what I said... :p But, boy do I love that track (the one you posted). It just sounds like utter and complete tragedy and defeat, and I love at about 1:56 when it changes and kinda sounds like a brooding plotting pace, like the sound of evil, but then good is kind of working itself out in that.

But yeah, all the emotion and story of what is going on is in the music! Battle of the Heroes sounds like the climactic good vs. evil even winding down to silence and that final blast of horns (I think) kind of showing the death of good and the victory of evil- and then paired with this track... I'd say all that together gives me a bit of the goosebumps.

haha. I feel silly in a way cuz I'm a bit of a talker- I could just go on about anything and make it sound ok, at least, but it is worth noting I buy what I'm selling myself. :p

Thanks for posting that, again! :)

10. Motterman

Motterman Jedi Grand Master star 2

Dec 22, 2000
    The Episode VII trailer should start with this music queue:

11. Flavia Serem

Flavia Serem Jedi Padawan star 1

Feb 22, 2013
    I love this soundtrack! It calm me >when I'm with nerves down< [face_tee_hee]

12. Sir Cronal

Sir Cronal Jedi Youngling

Feb 14, 2013
    Emperor's Throne Room is the one that always gives me tingles down my spine. Add that to Ian McDiarmid's flawless portrayal of Palpatine and you have one of the most haunting and memorable Star Wars experiences ever.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  13. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    Apart from the very obvious ones from the OT and that has been mentioned once or twice already, there's one short piece that always gives me tingles down the spine: The piece when Qui-Gon suggests a new deal on the podracer. The piece was, to my disappointment, missing from the TPM soundtrack that was released in '99 (though there was track called Watto's Deal, that part was excluded) but it was released on the Ultimate Edition soundtrack a year later. I can't believe he wasn't nominated for an Academy Award for the TPM soundtrack.

14. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    This definitely

minnishe and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  15. Bushy162

Bushy162 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 27, 2011
    Where you've said spine tingling anticipation, I would say atmosphere.

16. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    "Palpatine's Teachings," or more specifically, the portion when he is revealed as a Sith. Around 0:35 is chilling, the point at which the light comes on for Anakin, and then the last 15 seconds are outstanding, with the line "Know the power of the Dark Side.." One of the best scenes of the saga.

17. darth_mccartney

darth_mccartney Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 3, 2008
    From the start to 2:25 is so...hauntingly emotional!

minnishe likes this.
  18. Jedi Ice Queen

Jedi Ice Queen Jedi Youngling

Mar 21, 2013
    The soundtrack would have been much better if Skrillex had been around back then...

19. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    Always loved the piece of music in ESB when the Falcon is trying to escape the Tie fighters by going into the asteroid belt. "Never tell me the odds"! VINTAGE Star Wars!!!

20. OldSchoolFan

OldSchoolFan Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 6, 2013
    For me, the OT has the best music with faves being the tie fighter attack from ANH, the asteroid chase from TESB and the Emperor's theme from ROTJ but it's the Imperial March that wins hands down!!

21. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    Victory Celebration Return of the Jedi. I'm not sure how many times ive listened to it. But there are so many themes that give me goosebumps. John Williams is incredible.

22. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The Rebel Fleet, how can I forget that. That is probably my favorite with the Victory Celebration as i said earlier as number 2.

23. Ninnghizhidda

Ninnghizhidda Jedi Padawan

Apr 4, 2013
    This beautiful piece by Mark Griskey.

starmin76 and AronAgmar like this.
  24. AronAgmar

AronAgmar Jedi Knight

Oct 31, 2012

One of my favorite Star Wars pieces ever! Jeremy Soule's "The Unknown World" from KOTOR. So beautiful.

Movie wise, I adore the Battle of Endor Pt. 2. That track is amazing!

starmin76 likes this.
  25. MRCynical

MRCynical Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 7, 2008
    Across the Stars still brings tears to my eyes, and I'm not normally prone to that as far as music's concerned.

As for tingles down the spine, for that it just has to be The Imperial March however unoriginal that might make me :p.

For further delights, pick up the Vienna Philharmonic's version (in the album "Sommernachtskonzert 2010") or the arrangement as part of "John Williams Symphonic Marches" played by the Band of HM Royal Marines (the CD is out of print but you can get it as an MP3 download).