main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit A/V Clone Wars Continuity Discussion (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by sabarte, May 12, 2008.

1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Random Comments likes this.
  2. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought I read somewhere that Adi was just a title and they brought someone else in that was named Adi. Could be wrong though

CooperTFN likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I stand corrected. [face_mischief]

4. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    I knew I read it somewhere but could not think of where for the life of me.

5. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    See, that would be a nice explanation. Don't know if our illustrious EU cops are going to be that clever, but I like it.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Oh, they're quite clever--I think it's more a matter of how creatively they're allowed to, let's say, reinterpret G-canon.

7. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Allow me to introduce you to a certain storyline called The Force Unleashed that too the liberty to reinterpret the plot of ANH. :p

MercenaryAce and Random Comments like this.
  8. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    That was George. He is the opposite of an EU cop. He's an EU robber.

9. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    More like an EU Viking.

10. DelRiego

DelRiego Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 12, 2002
    Hello,

From the discussions, I was intrigued to watch this series arc (the kid jedi, droids and d.maul ones didn't attract me) and well, it was 'enlightening' in a way. Before this I think I watched a coupe of season 1 episodes back then, but that's all. Everything else I knew, I had read it or learned it through comments.

I was surprised by how much the show feels self-contained. It is Star Wars, but looks way more 'alternate-timeline' than any other EU I've read/watched. Now I completely understand the complaints, it's not just contradictions but the general concept that took me out of the main universe.

Especially Anakin, he is like a completely different character, who looks, acts, speaks, etc completely different from the established one (i.e. the movies). I couldn't really believe this takes place before RotS, it's more like a What If: the clone wars have lasted way longer and Anakin became much more experienced.

I was also disappointed from the writing. Yeah, it's a kid show, but that doesn't mean it has to neglect basic narrative points. If anything feels like glorified fan-fiction is this, not any of the books I've read. They might have called Ahsoka Mary Sue instead. Man, she can do everything and is an acquaintance of everybody and to keep the tradition, she leaves at the end. We also get an oversimplified solution to the problem! so, Letta is both an extreme activist who'd make her own husband a living bomb and an apathetic coward who wouldn't blow the whistle? Barriss is so disgusted by violence that she'd just blow up some guy to make a statement? what statement? did it affect public opinion?

On the positive side, the atmosphere and the visuals (for the most part, since characters invariably walk and run awkwardly) are very good, the music sets the tone very well and it is really nice to see this kind of (concept) story within the SW universe, makes one hope for a live action series.

Are there any arcs in the previous seasons with similar tones worth watching? Could someone point out which ones could be the highlights of the series? I know there's a whole forum for it but I only trust Lit ;)

Thanks!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What previously established relationship?

In Brain Invaders?

Using that rationale, I have an "established relationship" with everyone I've sat next to on a plane and had a conversation with, or sat next to in a class.

If Filoni wanted to establish Ahsoka and Barriss as BFFs, not having Barriss disappear for three seasons would be helpful.

I wasn't feeling any sort of "betrayal" the way I felt it when Anakin turned in ROTS.

GunganSlayer, mnjedi and Mia Mesharad like this.
  12. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    I think that's the crux of the problem, Coop. The cases we've had, have given absolutely no room for interpretation - witness Rodia being moved based on one statement in one episode. They could've easily just said "Look, Mid Rim and Outer Rim - mostly the same, they just meant 'The Rim' in general" - instead they laid down that Rodia was in the Outer Rim, period. There's no way they'll allow the EU to undo something that happened in the CWAS, unless they truly become separate continuities.

Zeta1127 likes this.
  13. Zeta1127

Zeta1127 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 2, 2012
    That mindset is slowly killing Star Wars for me.

14. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    They did for Mandalore and the Mandalorians...

Which while I'm ever grateful for that, has me seriously wondering why that will to fix hasn't carried over into a number of these other situations as well.

15. MercenaryAce

MercenaryAce Chosen One star 6

Aug 10, 2005
    From what I understand, they are waiting for the show to be over before they start trying to make everything fit.

It strikes me as a sensible approach, as you don't want to make a fix that is then invalidated by something else that happens down the line.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  16. Game3525

Game3525 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 25, 2008
    Exaggeration much?:p

They are friends, but your right the execution could have been much better. My point is that people are ripping this move as if Filoni did it for the sake of doing it(like Piell and Gallia). IMO, that isn't the case here.....there was a logical reason for using Barriss and it made sense.

The bigger issue is they could have done more.

17. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    You're right, and that's interesting on a number of levels. Part of it, though, is that Jason Fry made a gamble by trying to work it all out - CWAS easily could've diverged (a minor point, for instance, is that Jason established Loathsom escaped and CWAS recently had him in prison as if he never left) - and that it kind of left off in a way to Mandalore at the end of the war in the EU I would chalk up more to luck than any good will on the part of the CWAS writers. After all, the leader of Death Watch was only tied to the EU because Lucas thought the name was a pretty good joke.
    On the other side, the CWAS undermined their own EU - throwing away and then taking back the first Clone Wars comic arc, for instance, or the whole carbonite-freezing in Shipyards of Doom. They can't even keep straight the material that derives directly from their own show.

HedecGa and Zeta1127 like this.
  18. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    FB question: Would it follow, then, that any material closer to the time frame of ROTS (i.e., the comic Reversal of Fortune, and overall her previously depicted death during Order 66) should not be considered canon? And would that potentially mean that Zonder was not necessarily her Padawan?

Leland Chee: We've made no decisions on how the "Reversal of Fortune" material will be retconned. With that said, I can't envision Barriss returning into the good graces of the Jedi Order.

[face_sigh]

19. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    PK EDIT: Language

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  20. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Barriss, Anakin and everyone would wake up and it'll all just be some nightmare.

...and to top it off, Anakin later realizes that there's no such thing as Ahsoka.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I see no reason to think they'll even try to retcon Reversal of Fortune anytime soon. That's pretty much what he said about Even Piell--"we're just gonna leave it alone unless someone has a stroke of genius".

22. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Where the kark is Abel anyway??

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    On Twitter.

JoinTheSchwarz likes this.
  24. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    How the hell do they define "stroke of genius"?

Rhetorical question, as I'm not sure I want the real answer.

Esg likes this.
  25. Something_Exile

Something_Exile Jedi Master

Nov 23, 2012
    To be fair, that's my big problem with it. It's incredibly annoying that they conflicted continuity the way they dead, but it's worse by the fact that it was written very poorly. No impact, no build up, no reason why we would care at this stage. Show, don't tell. Show us why Ahsoka and Barriss are still friends, don't just tell us moments before revealing she's a traitor. It's poor storytelling and I don't care if it's meant to be a kids show, that doesn't mean you can't write a good story. This is yet another sign of how TCW makes up stories as they go along, which to me is the worst form of long-term storytelling. Everything feels tacked on. I just get disappointed that they seemingly decided that they didn't have to try as hard when they could really have written some truly engaging stories for fans of all ages; I love some TCW plotlines, hate the delivery because of the reasons stated above.

JackG, blackmyron and Barriss_Coffee like this.