main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series The Petition to Disney: Save The Clone Wars

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Watto, Feb 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Guys I don't care if you like the show or you hate the show or you only watch it because it is the only thing that keeps your dog from barking every morning. Please be respectful of everyone around you and their opinions. Thanks.

2. Jedi Master Chuck

Jedi Master Chuck Jedi Master star 2

Mar 19, 2013
    I find it somewhat perplexing that some people feel an ongoing series with both critical and commercial success with no signs of running out of steam is somehow obligated to make every season finale double as a season finale or wrap up production early, not caring about trivial things like "having too much fun" or "having too many ideas" to wrap things up quickly.

It just shows some degree of contempt for the writers of The Clone Wars, George Lucas included, for wanting to tell more stories (To me, it seems hatred for the series stems from love of EU material, which I can't really understand; There's no reason that this series needs to negate the EU for fans of those novels, comics, etc. just treat them like separate timelines. I don't necessarily like a lot of things in the EU, but I don't wish they didn't exist for the sake of those authors and the fans who enjoy those materials).

Let's just look at a perfect example of a series going on far longer than it was initially planned. Some are claiming that The Clone Wars was initially planned for 5 seasons and because the writing team came up with a lot of new ideas as they were writing (This is true of every series. Every author writes as they go along to some degree. No series is planned 100% before pen is set to paper), Filoni, Lucas, and co. were somehow in the wrong for not feeling the need to wrap things up. This line of thinking is completely false. There is no timeline for the war established in the movies themselves, only the EU. Regardless of the occasional bad episode, the show was still improving in quality, both artistically, and from a story telling perspective. There was clearly an abundance of great ideas on the writing team. The ratings were high and critics loved the show, so there was absolutely no reason to anticipate cancellation. Typically only critically acclaimed, but low rated shows need to be prepared for the series to end each season (Chuck, Parks & Recreation, etc.). The Clone Wars was not at all in the same boat, so shouldn't at all be held to those expectations.

There's a manga series called One Piece, currently ongoing in Weekly Shonen Jump Magazine written by Eiichiro Oda. The series was initially planned to last 5 years, a total of about 250 chapters, probably the average length for an action-adventure shonen manga in Japan. The story line is simple enough. There once was a man named Gold Roger, King of the Pirates who had wealth, fame, and power. Before he was executed, he said "My fortune is yours if you can find it, but you'll have to search the whole world. I left everything I own in that place." Thus began the Great Pirate Era, and 17 year old pirate "Straw Hat" Monkey D. Luffy gathers a crew to set out in search of the legendary treasure One Piece. The series began in 1997 and is now maybe, possibly, if we can take Oda at his word, halfway finished at 702 chapters (70 200+ page manga volumes). The series has sold over 300 million copies in Japan alone, reaching unprecedented levels of success. Subway buses are decorated with pictures of the Straw Hat Pirates. Shueshia took out 10 full pages in Tokyo's equivalent of the New York Times to celebrate the series reaching 250 million volumes sold. Eiichiro Oda answers fan questions in every volume, remaining very open to his fans. The reason the series has gone on so long is because he was just having too much fun writing One Piece. He loves the story and the characters and it has only gotten better. The series continues to improve both artistically and creatively. We've gotten to see hundreds of characters and some really creative locations. The story has taken some really unexpected turns and what was once a simple quest for treasure has become something far greater. Should Oda have felt obligated to just end the series around the 250 chapter mark, even though none of the characters were remotely close to the end point he has established for them? Should he have felt obligated to cut the series short despite the tremendous amount of fan support. Each new volume of One Piece sells about 2 million copies in the first 4 days after it's released. To Japan, One Piece is very much what Star Wars was in the United States circa 1977. The series has gone on far longer than was initially planned because Oda is overflowing with great ideas. As long as the creative juices are flowing and fans continue to show support, there's no reason to plan to wrap things up.

Conversely, shows clearly dragging on far pas their prime with steady declines in ratings and critical reviews like the office shouldn't overstay their welcome.

Clone Wars is far more similar to the former than the latter. Filoni, Lucas, and crew had plenty of ideas and until Disney bought the franchise, it was simply business as usual.

Unfortunately, I don't think there's enough time for a fan campaign to save The Clone Wars. Fan campaigns can really only work with enough prep time, like the subway campaign to save Chuck in season 2 or the various letter writing campaigns in seasons 3 and 4. TCW cancellation was so abrupt and the announcement gave such mixed signals it was difficult for a fan movement to gain any kind of momentum.

V-2, Circular_Logic, Seerow and 4 others like this.
  3. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    WOW just got farther into the interview to where Tom Kane says we will FINALLY
    find out how Jedi are able to retain their identity in the force and become force ghosts
    to me that's a bombshell and I can't believe it's finally going to be addressed and in the Clone Wars no less that is crazy. Probably the three most dangling questions from the prequels are
    force ghosts
    , Sifo Dyas, and Order 66, 2 out of 3 we are going to get answered, I hope we aren't missing out on an explanation of Sifo Dyas somewhere.

EDIT: Don't know why I am getting double spoiler tags sorry.

4. Random Comments

Random Comments Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 25, 2012
    If you could use spoiler tags instead of black highlights, I at least would appreciate it. I can't see what has been written otherwise. (Darn Apple.)

5. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
    just got on here tonight, where is the tom kane interview please

6. rezpen

rezpen Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2010
    the-jedi-prince likes this.
  7. the-jedi-prince

the-jedi-prince Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 2, 2011
  8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I am beyond pumped. I always knew Mortis had something to do with force ghosts.

the-jedi-prince likes this.
  9. Watto

Watto Force Ghost star 4

Dec 13, 1998
    I agree, very cool... But I am not confident we will ever see it. I don't trust Disney given all the bad signals of late. Keep pushing those letters to Iger, Kennedy, and tweeting @Disney with the #SaveTheCloneWars message.

earlchinna and KenobiSkywalker like this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I would hope Disney would pretend that Mortis never happened.

I'm OK with their explaining Force-ghosting, but not in reference to Mortis.

11. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    You have your [/ size]s inside your [ spoiler ] tags...

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Disney didn't write TCW. Additionally, Force-ghosting would give Mortis a purpose for those who thought it was stupid.

13. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I know Disney didn't write TCW, but there is nothing anywhere that could make me believe that Mortis wasn't stupid.

I can tolerate it only by reminding myself that Obi-Wan, Anakin and Ahsoka must have been smoking death sticks. As long as that particular image isn't taken away, I'm alright. Any indication that the characters were sober and I must take Mortis seriously, sends me into a rage.

Darth Ibonek likes this.
  14. 07jonesj

07jonesj Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 16, 2010
    I... like Mortis. Though I don't take it entirely literally. It's inclusion in Fate of the Jedi was odd though.

15. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I agree.

16. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I'm honestly probably the only one here who doesn't mind either

17. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    You're not. There's also me.

18. swcolts1277

swcolts1277 Jedi Master star 2

Jan 5, 2013
    And me haha. Those episodes are so out there that people love them or hate them.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "Out there."

That's one way to put it.

eht13, darklordoftech and 07jonesj like this.
  20. queequegg

queequegg Jedi Padawan

May 31, 2010
    Is there any other places that I can email besides the ones that are listed on page one of this thread, and the info@lucasfilm.org?

21. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    ...And me. :p

22. Gallandro

Gallandro Force Ghost star 4

Jul 8, 1998
    Someone mentioned this earlier, but I just went to starwars.com and they have virtually removed all Clone Wars episodes with the exception of a couple that appear to be in the weekly syndicated rotation for the current week. Everything else on the site are either trailers or the behind the scenes stuff from the show. I'm sure this has more to do with Warner's not wanting the value of their syndication package to be driven down by free materials on the web site.

Yancy

23. Seerow

Seerow Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2011
    Not the biggest fan of Mortis myself.

There is contact info on the link in my sig and on the Save The Clone Wars website.

I'm wary of the couple arcs rumor. So far it seems like RFR dudes are the ones that need to be worried about because they got a record like weather man Tom Terry here during hurricane season (predicted Hurricane Charley's correct point of landfall when the NHC didn't). Its good to hear Tom Kane stating he is hopeful his Yoda arc makes it out. Interesting that TCW episodes have been removed from the OS so fast. I've noticed alot more TCW merchandise when I've been out shopping lately. I dunno if its just me or what. When I went to target torday they had some TCW Easter Stuff including a Rex helmet basket. Then they had some kids dinnerware sets with phase II Rex on them.

24. Random Comments

Sep 25, 2012
    They always take off each episode after a few weeks....it seems pretty much on schedule. Since there are currently no more airing, it becomes just the syndicated ones available.

I like Mortis...

25. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    But last year they left the finale episode(s) up for a long time, like almost all the way through the break.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.