main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Wait... what?

From where does that info come? The cbr article only says this: "and the next story arc on "Star Wars: Dawn of the Jedi" called "Force Wars," which tells how the Jedi Order came to be, stop isolationist ideas and join the galaxy. Del Rey has launched a parallel line of novels chronicling this period." Nothing about a 100-year jump. There's no way they would do a random jump like that after two story arcs of developing characters and situations.

The closest thing to an exact date we've been given for DOTJ so far (DOTJ after the 10,000 year jump in Issue 1, that is) has been in this interview, which reiterates the date of the Force Wars as 25,793 BBY. Presumably, DOTJ is in that same year or just before. It would ne nice if the issues didn't still say "The events of this issue take place approximately 35,000 years before the Battle of Yavin," which ceased being accurate after Issue 1, but whaddyagonnado.

2. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    http://bymacreadysbeard.blogspot.com/2013/04/dark-horse-star-wars-news.html

3. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    Well that's... stupid.

4. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    If true, I actually like that. It's ballsy.

Ulicus likes this.
  5. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    isn't DOTJ styled like some epic thats laying the foundation of major star wars stuff? I gleamed this much when the first TPB was titled "Book one" I saw that and was like "Ooooooooh so epic"

I guess if its some sprawling epic then it makes sense to cover a lot of time. I just hope they have an end game planned for a possible marvel shift.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Are we not talking about this?

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder myself if DOTJ always had a planned ending or if it's truly an ongoing.

8. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Dance puppets, dance.

9. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    If a 100-year time jump happens at the expense of all or most of the character- and world-building that's happened, it'll be pretty dumb. I can't help but wonder if it's based on Dark Horse giving DOTJ a sudden expiry date and forcing John & Jan to rush again.

darklordoftech likes this.
  10. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    The world building won't be thrown out with a time jump. I've always gotten the impression that the intent of Dawn of the Jedi as a series is to chart an entire era. I haven't found the characters themselves particularly memorable; the appeal of the series, for me at least, is the formation and development of the Jedi and the galaxy around them.

If done right, Dawn of the Jedi could read like a fictional history. I personally love the idea of chronicling some of galaxies most important events, hopefully all linked with an overarching narrative.

Ulicus likes this.
  11. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
  12. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    We haven't been given an exact year for DOTJ, though --- only an estimate based on the year of the Force Wars.

There's been a ton of character-building, though, that a 100-year time jump would just toss out the window. Why spend so much time on flashbacks to Xesh's past with Trill? Why develop their rivalry so much? Why develop three young protagonists, each with a unique path and with unique obstacles to overcome? Why establish Hawk as a dancing-with-the-dark character? Why establish that Tasha Ryo has a crime lord father who wants to bring her back to Shikaakwa? Why give her a crime lord family at all? There's no way that all of that can come to a head in next month's issue. Tasha would be a waste of a character if unlocking the Kwa holocron were the fulfillment of her character arc.

Something smells fishy here. John & Jan wouldn't develop such a diverse cast over ten issues only to promptly abandon them. If this news about the 100-year jump is true, I have strong suspicions that Dark Horse is forcing their hand again.

BoromirsFan likes this.
  13. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    First Legacy gets a rush job, and now DotJ, maybe.

I don't want to live on this planet anymore.

14. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Jesus Christ, but we are a pessimistic group of people. We have zero clue what's happening with DotJ. One site reports--with no confirmation or corroboration--a time jump in the series, and now you're talking like they've cancelled it already.

15. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    If Dark Horse is losing the license, I think going out on an adaptation of "The Star Wars" would be a really cool and unique idea. Kind of goes to DH's indie roots of just doing really crazy stuff. Read that draft decades ago so don't remember much of it but I think a strange, oddball idea like this would be a nifty capper to DH's run.

Canon fitting? "The Star Wars" takes place in there Waru-verse. There. You're welcome.

16. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Er, Randy Stradley just said yesterday that he had received no information at all to suggest that Disney was messing with licensees for anything.

To be completely fair, people have been being complete crybabies about the EU's imminent demise for something like six months now.

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Yeah, but now they're even taking news that we're getting more of something we like and still finding a way to be unhappy about it.

18. Jeff_Ferguson

May 15, 2006
    If the 100-year time jump is true --- and all of my posts have established that it's an if --- then it's certainly something to talk about. I'll admit that I'm a pessimist, but given Dark Horse's track record of cancelling/rushing series that still have tons of potential, pessimistic suspicion is more thain fair.

I'm eager to learn more about Force Wars, namely because if it is a 100-year time jump, I can't imagine how they'll make it work. John & Jan have created too diverse of a cast whose interweaving stories are only just beginning. Like I said, something smells fishy.

darthcaedus1138 likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    I don't know who to believe anymore.

I think I'll stop thinking for today.

jSarek likes this.
  20. instantdeath

Jul 22, 2010
    I'll have to take your word on that; haven't actually read the second arc of DOTJ yet. The first arc, with the exception of Xesh, seemed fairly episodic. I do agree that cutting so many things off in favor of a time skip would be a bad move. I'm just not opposed, and indeed somewhat enjoy the prospect of a time jumping series that covers thousands of years of history. Every time period would need to have a complete story, though, and from what you say, it doesn't seem like this iteration of DOTJ has that yet.

All that said, it's not unheard of for comics to have interweaving arcs (looking at you Grant Morrison, you confusing bastard). Or something closer to Star Wars, Dark Times habits of alternating arcs between K'krukh and co. and Dass Jennir. I could see this Force Wars arc taking place 100 years in the future for whatever reason, with the subsequent arc going back to the current timeline. Can't say what the use would be for such a device, but the option is there.

21. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    [​IMG]

22. kubricklynch

kubricklynch Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2012

Can't say you weren't warned...

23. blackmyron

blackmyron Chosen One star 7

Oct 29, 2005
    Randy always finds a way to gladden my heart. Color me a bit more interested in the minseries, then.

Edit: Spoilers for the new movie? [face_laugh]

"Zombies!" Atkins suggested.
    "It's not going to be zombies," Stradley responded quickly.

24. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    Take me now.

HARDER.

JoinTheSchwarz and Havac like this.
  25. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    is it still April Fools over there?