main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Redundant, Counter-Productive Speculation Time Is Over: "The Star Wars" Announced

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Feb 11, 2013.

1. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I can't say it's unexpected, but it's not really sunshine and rainbows, is it?

Esg likes this.
  2. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    Ah, the problem of being asked the unexpected, unanswerable question in a public forum with limited time to answer.

I should have been clearer in my answer. First of all, I have NO idea what JJ Abrams or Disney may have planned for the new movies. They certainly haven't consulted me, and I'm sure I'm following news of the upcoming films much less closely than are dedicated fans. What I should have -- would have -- said if I had not been caught off guard and under so much pressure is this: Disney has paid billions for a film franchise that is potentially worth even more billions of dollars. It seems unlikely that they would allow events set down in licensed novels and comics which are collectively worth millions of dollars (i.e., a tiny fraction of what the films generate) to dictate the direction in which they take the films. There's no insider knowledge here, it's just common sense.

3. Randy_Stradley

Randy_Stradley Dark Horse Comics Editor and Author star 2 VIP

Apr 23, 2002
    Good grief. NO ONE said anything like that. The Force Wars take place a YEAR after Prisoner of Bogan.

The dangers of _speaking_ in public, as opposed to presenting something in writing.

4. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    No, this is about the same as me saying I wanted Legacy to go on forever. What I want, or Randy wants, or Pilf wants won't be a consideration.

You will have to find it in your heart to excuse people for caring.

Zeta1127 and Esg like this.
  5. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Yeah my post was pretty reactionary. Sorry about that. If there's no 100 year timeskip, then I'm pretty much fine.

6. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I'm looking forward to this, but I must admit, it actually strikes me as being as hardcore as you can get. To me being hardcore is its whole appeal.

Case in point, Joe Average wanted the Maulkiller preorder bonus skin for TFU2 because it was awesome looking, not the Luke Starkiller bonus skin, and I saw a lot of people switching their preorders from Amazon to... I think it was GAME that had the Maulkiller one? back in 2010 for that very reason, so this strike me as something more for the hardcore Star Wars buffs than the average guy. Joe Average isn't an ubernerd who's read Lucas's original drafts.

Star Wood was for Mr Average. This is for hardcore Lucasians.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    ...or for people who know the ST is starting with a Lucas draft and are curious about what other ideas he's been kicking around.
    Ha, now I'm disappointed. You can't win, Stradley!

8. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    This comic series sounds really interesting! In the Marvel/Star Comics Droids series there was a three issue story line titled Star Wars as Seen by the Droids that was a re-telling of the events of the first movie. This also featured some McQuarrie inspired designs like the rebel soldiers, pilots and honor guards, as well as a glimpse of that strange jellyfish cantina alien that never made it beyond the concept art stage. The Droids comic was only a mix between concept and movie designs, but I'm really looking forward to seeing what this totally concept inspired series looks like!

9. Jeff_Ferguson

Jeff_Ferguson Force Ghost star 5

May 15, 2006
    Thanks for the clarification, Randy. And sorry for being such a doomsday predicter (predictor?). Really looking forward to Force Wars now. [face_peace]

10. BrendonWahlberg

BrendonWahlberg Jedi Master star 2

Nov 14, 2001
    I'm excited about the series. In fact, if it does well, Dark Horse should adapt the second draft next. The stories of the rough and second drafts are very different and can easily be two distinct series. The great majority of the McQuarrie artwork based on the early drafts comes from the second draft, so there is plenty of visual reference. Many of the Hasbro McQuarrie figures are really second draft characters (Vader, Solo, Artoo and Threepio, Chewbacca, Deak Starkiller).
    There is a draft between the rough and the second, called the first draft, but it is the same as the rough draft, only with the names changed. The names in the rough draft are superior, though.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  11. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    so this shapes up to be even less of an april fools than the disney buy was... hmm..

ok, count me existed for it then ;)

As Artcollector I LOVE THE ART ALREADY GODDAMMIT
    As a lover of the old scripts and old McQuarrie designs, as well as the retro feeling of the old scripts which were way more in the Flash Gordan oldschool scifi style... count me as existed!

this is a must have buy not just in light of sequel ideas etc. and yeah I'd love an entire infinities timeline done with this art style and based on these scripts!

But I will not cease to worry why an infinities project when the uncertain future could have needed some canon love in the same awesome level.

PS: Randy_Stradley: If possible, squeaze into the artwork some Pith Lords please.. or at least Pith helmet inspired designs ;) thx

12. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    hey I remember your website/stories around the old drafts ;) always loved that. any new stuff there? there were some early drafts for TPM and prequels on the net back in the day.. and will be for sequels sure some day. wondering if those get the same treatment then ;)

13. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Still gotta be a pretty hardcore fan for that, most people don't rush out buying every existing work by someone just because they're making a new movie.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still sure it'll sell like hotcakes and outdo everything else released recently, but I just think it's wrong to be thinking this is going to appeal to the future mass audience as your average joe just goes to the cinema to watch a movie, not to buy all the Making Of The LOTR and Inside The Mind of JRR Tolkien stuff.

14. Manisphere

Manisphere Jedi Master star 5

Aug 25, 2007
    The Star Wars is totally hardcore.

Zorrixor likes this.
  15. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    No, because we already know what other ideas he had. :p

I can see a big group of people who never touched the EU now thinking "hm, sequels? Didn't Lucas talk about those back in the day?"

16. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Without going thru 20 pages... is there a Release Date on Issue 1 yet?

17. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    September. Apparently.

18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    So was this an April Fooks Joke or was it real?

19. Zorrixor

Sep 8, 2004
    Well, yeah, we do, because we're hardcore fans, but ask some random guy on the street if he's ever heard of Deak Starkiller, and he'll tell you to go home you hippy. :p

20. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Real.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    The Star Wars is a pretty cool guy.

TrandoJedi likes this.
  22. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I'm looking forward to "The Star Wars", its not what I was expected to be announced but it is very interesting indeed! Dark Horse hasn't disappointed me so far.

Now if only I could get a Star Wars: Katarn comic series. :D

GrandMasterKatarn and Zorrixor like this.
  23. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    tx

24. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Nice that there'll be a 3rd DOTJ comic series. Have decided my outlook on the comics is to enjoy whatever I can get of the books I'm interested in as who knows how long there'll last in today's ever more brutal comics market?

25. BoromirsFan

BoromirsFan Jedi Master star 4

May 16, 2010
    I wonder if DH will have enough time to make a possible 4th series of DOTJ? :D