main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are the Jedi Council Forums a place for fans and praise only?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by CT-867-5309, Apr 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Race you to the principal's office!

2. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    No running in the halls!

3. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    He started it! It's not fair! You're always holding me back! Someday I will become the most powerful user ever. I will even stop other users from getting banned.

4. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    omg that's too funny :)
    [​IMG]

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    *Stands in hallway, glares at runners, taps ruler on hand..*

eht13 and Son of a Bith like this.
  6. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    I can't tell if that's a warning or an invitation, LAJ... ;)

TreborSabreon likes this.
  7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
  8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Oh, Comms...

What?!? How can you do this?? This is outrageous! It's unfair! How can you be on the JediCouncilForums and not be a Mod?

[​IMG]
    Pictured: Actual Comms user

9. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Learn to know the power of the dark side and it will save your profile from certain banning.

10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Is it possible to learn this power?

Pensive Padme likes this.
  11. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Not from an Admin.

12. narkwolf

narkwolf Jedi Youngling

Apr 28, 2013
    I don't even know what's going on in this thread but i like it. I saw something about running in the halls though. We all know that that is an international rule guys. Don't break it.

[​IMG]

Darth_Deception likes this.
  13. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    It's about violence.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Yes, I DO see the bias in your presentation of my remarks, wrong as your interpretation of my remarks are. Will you be satisfied if I hereby publicly admit I am biased and argumentative and unwilling to accept your opinion, because, well, that's your perception of my remarks and therefore you must be correct and any attempt on my part to clarify any misunderstanding is only an attempt to force you to change your mind?

Alas.

At the risk of being rude, you still don't get it. Where ever did I say "you" should change your mind? I'm saying if you want me to agree with you, have a honest discourse with me. Once we understand each other - really understand, not just "think we do" because we aren't listening - it's perfectly okay to still disagree. This discussion is not about "you" anyway, although I rarely "agree" with you.

I shouldn't plug my ears to you nor you to me. That's all I'm saying. And the "you" and the "me" are generic "you's" and "me's." It seems just reading this thread what I'm saying is being taken out of context because it's being misread. YOU DON'T HAVE TO AGREE WITH ME. YOU DON'T HAVE TO CHANGE YOUR MIND. It would be nice if you tried to change mine and if you were receptive to possibly having yours changed.

This is why I'm all too often throwing up my hands and avoiding threads nowadays. No matter what is said or how it is said, folks (some) will take it beyond the literal wording.

And quite possibly I am now through with this thread as well because, well, no matter what I say, I am the "one who doesn't get it."

FRAGWAGON and Random Comments like this.
  15. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

I don't believe that people do "plug their ears" at all. They simply don't buy into an argument. And people have hard time accepting that when it happens. It's not that they aren't listening, they aren't being swayed. You perceive that as not listening.

16. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I haven't been here long but I've learnt to gloss over certain negative comments made by people who I think just chuck them on to try to get comments/replies to their profile.....it' takes about 90% less effort to put a crap negative comment in then it does a good one!!

I do like the OT a bit more than I do the PT but I'm certainly not a PT basher.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Hmmm. I can see myself agreeing with both Valairy and Tom on this in a way. I guess I sort of see it like this: did any of you ever have to learn about the Mohs scale of mineral hardness in elementary school? You know, "calcite scratches graphite, glass scratches calcite, diamond scratches everything?" Users are sort of like minerals when it comes to listening. Some of them will listen to everyone. Some will only listen to their friends. Some of them will only listen to oldbies of a certain age. or only listen to people with colored titles. Some won't listen to anyone at all. Except for diamonds. We all listen to diamonds. Diamonds are our best friends.

Er, anyway -- point is some people are generally more open-minded than others, while some are only open-minded in certain situations or among certain users. I've seen the same users posting among different crowds and could have sworn they were a different person altogether based on their attitude.

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    We could argue all night about what constitutes "listening to an argument" and who around here actually listens to arguments, and while Valairy is being really nice here, I know I've been put on that "other side" as well.

Which is fine, from my end I don't really care who listens to whom; I make my own decisions about staying in an argument when I feel I'm not being heard, and I usually make them on a case-by-case basis.

The bottom line is not taking an argument about some aspect of Star Wars and making it personal. Not telling other posters, in the nastiest way possible, that you don't want them around anymore if they disagree with you about Star Wars.

I'll admit to getting my back up when I see something along the lines of "You may disagree with me but the 'general public' or 'general audience' agrees with me" type of post--I call it the "bandwagon argument." I've never reported such a post and never will, it's not a moderator issue, but it is yet another attempt at marginalization. Not quite as blatant as the attempt to define a "fan" and the statement that only "fans [as defined by X]" should post here, and definitely not as nasty as "Why don't you just leave?" or "You ****ing haters", which I do consider issues that should be reported (and hopefully handled).

I do have to ask though...how in the hell are any of these statements hurting anyone?

The prequels suck. Jar-Jar is annoying as hell. So was Jake Lloyd's version of Anakin. So was eopie poop. Kershner should have been the director.

OR

TCW sucks. Ahsoka Tano is a pain in the ass and Anakin should have duct-taped her mouth closed. The battle droids aren't funny. Retconning Barriss Offee's entire character and Even Piell and Adi Gallia's deaths was stupid.

OR

The EU sucks. The Vong should have run Mara Jade through with an amphistaff during the first chapter of Vector Prime and used her red hair to decorate their coralskippers. Palleon should have made Thrawn his ****.

OR...

...wait for it...

The OT sucks. What the hell was Luke doing in that stupid cave anyway and when is Yoda going to smack him for whining? And why did Anakin get to show up as a Force-ghost after killing so many people? And don't get me started on the people-eating teddy bears...

I agree with some of these statements, disagree with some of them, but it doesn't matter. If you post these statements where I can read them and I have no chance of convincing you to change your mind...and you don't even want to hear an alternative point of view...all you have done is posted something negative about an aspect of Star Wars. You haven't insulted either of my children or kicked my cats. Why would I or should I have the right to make insulting personal comments questioning your existence on these boards in response?

eht13, Robimus and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  19. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I think it bothers people because people are personally "offending their tastes"

at least I think it is,

All I can say is I'm a fan of a lot of things, many people say what I like sucks (IRL) I don't get offended in the slightest

20. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Seriously? Wow. Now that is being too sensitive.

And yeah, I've got many more important things to worry about than whether someone else strongly dislikes what I like.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I hate this place. I thought it would be just like my journal, but my journal never responds adversely to my insights. Where are these other ideas coming from...? I don't understand. :(

22. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hate everything. Everyone should be entitled to my opinion.

23. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Sometimes them shiny colors that appear over one's name have that same effect. ;)

But seriously people change their posting styles for a variety of reasons, I know I have.

I've found TF.N to be very clique based a lot of the time and it can be very daunting at times to make posts when you know your about to be bombarded by people who simply disagree with you on principle. At the same time it can be comforting to know someone who shares your views will have your back.

I mean just look at the forums. The Clone Wars is/was regularly discussed in Lit - how many of those people actually made their way over to the TV forums to post on a regular basis? Half, a third, a quarter? Probably not even that many.

Same can be said for the Episode 7 discussion. There is a big divide there, and I don't know that it is a problem in the grand scheme of things. People are going to post where they want to post for a variety of reasons. I do think if you are going to examine that people post a different way in different crowds(forums) it is worth mentioning how different the variety of forum regulars are from one forum to the next. That changes how people will approach different discussions, imo.

24. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    Looking at this thread, Ahsoka must be popular. :p

[face_sick]

25. George Roper

George Roper Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    This thread sucks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.