main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate The 2016 U.S. Presidential Election has begun

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ghost, May 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003

On Friday, C-SPAN will start branding events with likely presidential hopefuls as "Road to the White House 2016." The series starts tomorrow with footage of speeches by Vice President Joe Biden and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz in South Carolina, and will continue with other events later this month.

This is an unusually early start date for the series, which normally gets under way about two years ahead of Election Day. C-SPAN's "Road to the White House 2012" didn't start until Aug. 3, 2010, when the network interviewed Republican hopefuls Newt Gingrich and Tim Pawlenty. Between then and the election, it aired 552 events — including speeches, debates, conventions, etc. — that came under the "Road to the White House" brand.

News organizations have been hyping the 2016 presidential contest since before the 2012 election, and not a day goes by where there isn't some talk of politicians' presidential ambitions. But now, with C-SPAN on board, I think it's fair to say that the race is truly on.

(WATCH: Barbara Bush on Jeb 2016: 'We’ve had enough Bushes')

Official C-SPAN website:
    http://therun2016.com/its-may-time-for-2016-hustle/

This month's (May 2013) campaign schedule for the 2016 presidential election:
    May 3 — Joe Biden in Columbia, SC
    May 3 — Ted Cruz in Columbia, SC
    May 10 — Rand Paul in Cedar Rapids, IA
    May 10 — Bobby Jindal in Manchester, NH
    May 20 — Rand Paul in Concord, NH
    May 23 — Scott Walker in Des Moines, IA

So yeah, with that campaign schedule, it looks like it really has already begun...
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_presidential_election,_2016

You can bet Hillary Clinton is running unless something drastic happens, and will dominate the Democrats The independent "Ready for Hillary" already has over 138,000 likes on Facebook, and is already raising money and gathering email addresses.

Joe Biden, Andrew Cuomo, Martin O'Malley, Kirsten Gillibrand, Amy Klobuchar, John Hickenlooper, Jack Markell, Peter Shumlin, Deval Patrick, Brian Schweitzer, etc. probably won't even run if she does.

Right now, Marco Rubio and Chris Christie poll best among Republicans, but both may be "too moderate" for the GOP base during the primaries.

Ted Cruz, Rick Santorum, and Rand Paul are also considering running and one of them could become the conservative alternative to Christie/Rubio.

(I really doubt Jeb Bush can gain any traction, especially after his immigration flip-flopping. Paul Ryan is acting unlikely to run. Scott Walker and Mike Pence would be pretty bad. Susana Martinez and Brian Sandoval openly rule it out. Bob McDonnell is in scandal and sinking, Bobby Jindal is becoming very unpopular in his state. Nikki Haley is highly unpopular. Ken Cuccinelli probably won't even win his governor's race.)

2. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with most of what you say. Unless the GOP finds a diamond, or Obama really tanks, Clinton shouldn't have too much trouble in the current climate. I look forward to flipping back to my post in a few years to see just how ridiculous it sounds.

One quick note- Haley's poll numbers have actually jumped double digits here in SC ahead of next year's gubernatorial race (she's up against the same moderate Democrat she barely beat in 2010, State Sen. Vincent Sheheen- who also happens to be my favorite politician at any level, right alongside Manchin and Huntsman). I think she's still hovering around 50, but that's well up from months ago when we had the nightmarish data leak at the State Dept. of Revenue and she was about as popular as Obama in SC.

Were she to win reelection, don't put it past her to run- the word "delusional" does not exist to her. She takes after her political mentors (Sanford/Palin) in more ways than one.

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  3. kingthlayer

kingthlayer Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 7, 2003
    I absolutely refuse to give a damn until late 2015.

4. LatvianPotatoFarmer

LatvianPotatoFarmer Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2013
    Is gulag for you!

5. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Why. Why. We just had an election. Can't not talk about this stuff until later?

Ugh.

jcgoble3, Ramza, Yoda_S and 8 others like this.
  6. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    There is no offseason in politics! :p

I certainly understand the sentiment, though. I'm excited for two "new" candidates, though- for me, always preferable to an incumbent election.

Darkslayer likes this.
  7. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Rand Paul 2016!

Congress won't pass a single budget between now an then. We'll be limping along from one manufactured austerity crisis to the next, and Congressional approval ratings will hover in the teens. Yet some Republicans believe a person like Paul can become a viable candidate. Only a Republican state governor has a shot at the White House, but not a Texas governor. And not Bobby J either.

8. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Agree- I don't see a "passing of the torch," either, in the way many do. Rand has lined himself up with the status quo on a lot of issues, and if it's one thing the Paulites can't stand, it's standing with the cool kids. Had he not wandered off path, someone like a Mark Sanford would actually make much more sense for taking the baton from Ron Paul- they had a history of being the lone nay votes on very reasonable bi-partisan bills many times back in their days in the House, simply for fiscal reasons.

The other night, Stewart took on the notion of Ted Cruz's viability after his rather noisy start in the Senate..right before Kay Bailey Hutchison was his very uncomfortable guest. Nice lead in- somehow, I doubt it was unintended.

Jabbadabbado likes this.
  9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Well I guess this means I have to enter the race as soon as possible. I'm running for the Birthday Party. I need funds though.

10. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
  11. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I hope Vermin Supreme runs again too. The elections need a healthy dose of intentional insanity.

12. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    [​IMG]

I'll raise your intentional insanity with Bachmann insanity.

For serious, I just hope Jon Huntsman runs. I could vote for him today without any reservations. But he'd have a better chance against Clinton in her primary than the wacko of the week in the GOP.

MrZAP and Summer Dreamer like this.
  13. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    Grantham / Bates 2016!!!!!

Mar17swgirl and FatBurt like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Good lord, it looks like they copied and pasted Gary Busey's face on that cover.

15. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I think this time if Hillary runs she will become President.

16. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Oh hell, Frothy is planning to run again?

17. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    He's already made about a dozen trips to Iowa since Romney lost :oops:

Hey, at least he'll be entertaining! [face_party]

KnightWriter likes this.
  18. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Ted Cruz challenges Joe Biden to an hour-long debate (seriously)

Does he not remember this?

[​IMG][​IMG]

19. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    yaaaaaa, now we get to see the clown car of idiots the GOP ushers out.... I cant wait... last election is gonna be hard to top with the likes of Herman Cain, Bachmann, Newt, etc etc etc....

20. AAAAAH

AAAAAH Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    i think everybody lost that debate. even martha radish.

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    The SNL skits were awesome though.

Juliet316 likes this.
  22. LandoThe CapeCalrissian

LandoThe CapeCalrissian Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 30, 2012
    you ever go to the circus and watch 50 clowns getting out of a small car, that's what the GOP reminded me of last election

23. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Brilliant stratagem, McCaskill, everyone knows nothing changes in three years, especially not in politics. [​IMG]

You'd think given the last two elections we'd have figured out by now that trying to predict this **** too early is a meaningless endeavor, but no, we keep on trucking, convinced that this time it will all pan out as intended.

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  25. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Elections are the most interesting part of politics, so I fail to see why everyone has their panties in a bunch. It isn't as though the Obama administration is getting much done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.