main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit L-Canon -- or, Taking Matters Into Our Own Hands (Final Results Announced)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by CooperTFN, Mar 6, 2013.

1. Grand Admiral Crumb

Grand Admiral Crumb Jedi Padawan star 1

Apr 25, 2013
    Revenge of the Sith claims it took approximately nineteen years to build the first Death Star, so it's not that hard to believe that since we see the second one in 4 ABY that they might have started construction on it sometime before the first's destruction. Perhaps what we see in the intervening years is merely only the external superstructure being built and the actual reactors and superlaser weren't finished until shortly before the Battle of Endor.

D

General Immodet likes this.
  2. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    FWIW, I would characterize my stance as both A and E--the Empire is indeed "be quick", but that doesn't mean it's quite as complete as it looks.

I'm not even a Fleet Junkie and that picture makes my nethers tingle.

3. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    I wish we could get a novel or something else set in the Sith-Imperial War, so we could get some other perspective on those Crossfires. Damn things drive me nuts. A movie would be perfect. [face_money_eyes]

4. Valin__Kenobi

Valin__Kenobi Author: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Praji star 4 VIP

Mar 30, 2004
    New desktop ahoy!

5. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I'm cross...um, quoting this from the TCW continuity thread because it raises a new thought on our subject--Ex had Lucy, Eclipse I had Eclipse II, so why did one DS have to follow another in either direction? They were sister ships. [face_mischief]

Iron_lord likes this.
  6. Grand Admiral Crumb

Apr 25, 2013
    CooperTFN I think you're right. DS2 construction most likely started near the same time as DS1, and then after Yavin IV it is moved and the design is changed.

7. AdmiralNick22

AdmiralNick22 Retired Fleet Admiral star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 28, 2003
    Welcome, my son. You have taken your first step into a larger world! [:D]

--Adm. Nick

8. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    The vote is hopelessly split. This will never be resolved like this.

Anything we can do about it? CooperTFN?

9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
  10. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Laughter's always good. It helps one live longer.

But I remember having this problem before, and I don't remember what we did, which is why I'm asking.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    This is why I had two rounds of voting for Barriss--the first step is to boil down all the myriad possibilities into two or three philosophically-aligned categories. Then coalitions can build among people with similar ideas. Once the fringier notions (*coughsymbionthatcough*) are out of the way, it's easier to get a majority to line up behind a more specific idea.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Symbiont hat is canon in our hearts.

Anyway, I propose we do the same here. The simplest 1st round I can think of is:

1. It really is as big as shown in that picture (branches off into A, B/F & D)
    2. Artistic license.

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I believe both of those. :p

Iron_lord likes this.
  14. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    1! That big!

15. credar

credar Jedi Master star 3

Sep 18, 2011

Come on! This is L-Canon! Are we gonna let artistic license TRULY be the answer?

I mean we revanned Barriss and had Even Piell possess an actor playing him. I'm sure we can figure out a fun way to retcon the Death Star 2's size.

Starkeiller likes this.
  16. MistrX

MistrX Jedi Master star 4

Jun 20, 2006
    1. Boring, but I didn't think it was all that close to completion. Starships could still fly into its core, after all.

Yeah, that's the one that would do it.

17. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    3: Death Star 2 can size up and down if it wants to... it is just a DS style armored megasized SILENTIUM in disguise and when it breathes space air (the reason we hear sound in space but can't breath there btw) it gets larger and then smaller again SOLVED! next

Mount Sorrow: IS he really a mountain, a stoney species or a halluzination etc.? I demand the Physics of Mount Sorrow to be explored!

18. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    Mount Sorrow is a mountain giant whose day out to the stone beach went too far when his mountain giant friends buried him up to his shoulders. Why do you think he's so sorrowful? Would you be happy if you'd been stuck there for decades?

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  19. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004

so I am not alone to merge Endor and Middleearth into the same planet! Just tell me where Willow's planet is and I can rest in peace... and don't tell me Willow just resides on that other continent of Valinor!

PS: I'd so love if they ever did another live action Ewok movie spinoff and had Mark Hamill and Gang meet Mount Sorrow in live action movie animation as well as others of Endors wonders. set during ROTJ of course ;)

20. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
  21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    My feeling, really, is that what we're seeing is a fair representation of what's been built already, but it's just not as much as it seems. I'd recommend the next round of voting be whether what we're looking at is more or less than halfway completed.

Iron_lord and Valin__Kenobi like this.
  22. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Halfway to its Ep. VI stage, you mean?

23. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    At all. Personally, as I've said, I could live with it being as little as 10% done, but I don't think that's going to garner 2/3 support anytime soon.

Come to think of it, just how far done it is in RotJ is another interesting matter--all we can really say is the superlaser worked.

Iron_lord likes this.
  24. Zorrixor

Zorrixor Chosen One star 6

Sep 8, 2004
    I've just realised that there's a much bigger question about Mount Sorrow: why is he there? You will find that the answer is also the answer to the Death Star question. [face_whistling]

Mount Sorrow was brought to Endor by the Empire to accelerate [re]construction of Death Star 1.5.

Kill with one stone, two birds can be.

CeiranHarmony likes this.
  25. Starkeiller

Dec 5, 2004
    Yeah, this one'll be resolved soooo easily..... [face_plain]