main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph "I Am Iron Man" - Iron Man 3 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lord Mauly Mall, Sep 21, 2006.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    That part I could actually understand- then don't exactly walk around with the faceplates popped very often (except for one scene in IM2's finale and the party scene, where it makes sense), especially when "on the job".

Actually, that part I thought did put Tony in danger- the Mandarin and his Enhanciles were going through suits like paper towards the end. It really seemed like Tony was going to run out of suits eventually.

However, you've also convinced me that there is a very good chance Tony has Extremis, or, at least, some variation on the tech. I have a feeling that's going to be the big Avengers 2 reveal when Tony suddenly deploys an Extremis suit.

Naturally, it'll be spoiled in the very first trailer ;).

They did do some concept art for an Extremis nano swirl thing so they've at least explored the idea.

2. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Did you count how many 'fireworks' there were at the end? All Tony had to do was send the full army rushing towards him. He could have hit Killian with all those suits at once as a distraction for example. Throughout the movie, Tony always seemed to have a plan B. I'm sure we should be impressed by Pepper saving Tony, but really that felt more like giving Pepper a decent action scene rather than her being necessary to save Tony.

I get the intention was that he should be in danger. The problem with the film is that he never really seems totally unprepared in the final battle. He's just hopping from one suit to another in what seems like an endless supply- which is certainly backed up by how many explode at the end despite all the ones the Enhanciles took out. That whole thing about the Mark 42 returning for example would have been more awesome if that HAD been the very last suit and then destroyed and then Killian reformed. At that point, a rescue by Pepper would have been more effective. The fact he still had over a dozen suits zooming around the place negated the effectiveness of that rescue to me.

3. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I'm sure we should be impressed by Pepper saving Tony, but really that felt more like giving Pepper a decent action scene rather than her being necessary to save Tony.

Not only are the two not mutually exclusive, but one is a purely out-of-universe consideration. In-universe, regardless of whatever reason it was done, it still happened.

4. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I actually agree that the Mark 42 moment should have been the last (or second to last) suit, even though it would mean sacrificing the "clean slate" moment gesture to Pepper.

I actually meant to count the fireworks the 3rd time around but got distracted by some other detail. I don;t think there were over a dozen suits left, though- I would lean closer to 6, maybe 8 at most.

Speaking of the suits- do we know the name of the suit (it looked greenish or blueish) that broke into multiple parts to attack then reassembled itself? It's right when Jarvis has his great "Gentlemen!" line.

5. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    He has to show up his face for obvious security reason.

6. Aytee-Aytee

Aytee-Aytee Jedi Master star 5

Jul 20, 2008
    I'll chalk that one up to staff complacency by the Secret Service...
    since we know that only two people can actually fly one of the suits, as stated in Iron Man 2's "you're Iron Man and he just TOOK your suit?" scene and the fact that Pepper had a hard time just running in the Mark 42, combined with the plot hole that never shows exactly how AIM's agents know how to fly the suit.

It's not a major problem. They assumed it was Rhodey, since they've presumably had him traveling with them when making media and campaign stops.

Besides, this is not the first movie in which such a scenario has happened. Air Force One featured one of the President's top agents as a turncoat who allowed Gary Oldman's terrorists aboard, then killing the pilot before trying to kill the President again when the plane was scuttled.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm not saying it wouldn't make sense for them to ask him to lift the plate, but given the unique circumstances (there's only one Patriot armor and only one guy (besides Stark) who knows how to use it, last minute arrival, etc) it seems like a slight possibility that they wouldn't ask him to.

The IM3 prequel comic actually explains that.

8. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    But unlike Air Force One and many other movies, the government was fully alarmed because of those attacks and they made clear they want to kill the president.
    Yeah it was never explained how did they let the suit work, and why didn't they kill him after it.

9. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Guess I need to get the comic then. :p
    Even though Tony DID mention AIM as being responsible Iron Patriot's armaments, and thus he was able to hack their system remotely through IP's interface....I guess Hammer could have done the same thing, if he would have thought about it.

10. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    So they should perform a check, then GG Killain.

11. Joe

Joe Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 25, 2012
    I believe it's the "skeleton" suit. There's a MiniMate of it.

12. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    I saw this today and thought it's the weakest Iron Man movie to date but I still enjoyed it.
    I absolutely loved the closing credits. The music and art style they went with was very fun and cool.

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I hated the credits- not that it wasn't a fun montage, but it was just so out of place with the more serious tone of the film. It was like "somber, yet triumphant closure" then "Here's Iron Man if he had a funky TV show in the 1970's! Get your go-go girls out!".

Ivan basically did the same thing via Hammer's tech.

The comic has War Machine going after various Ten Rings operations, ultimately leading him into an ambush in (Hong Kong, i think), which is why he was unable to help out the Avengers in NYC at the time.

Though War Machine managed to win the battle, afterwards the Mandarin's Lt mentions to him that they were able to get full scans of the armor or some such, which would allow them to proceed with their plan (even though, apparently, they were hoping to capture Stark instead).

14. Aytee-Aytee

Jul 20, 2008
    Reminded me of The Incredibles. :p

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Funny thing is, what AIM are trying to do is exactly what Cobra did in the first G.I.JOE movie.

16. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Make a potentially interesting franchise into a terrible movie?

17. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No,
    Control US and a terrorist organization.

18. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Isn't that what most villainous organisations try to do?

The only difference is how they go about achieving it (Cobra used nanotech, AIM used Extremis)

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Which is pretty close to nanotech, ha.

20. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    It actually reminded me of the Clone Wars. Sort of.

21. Whitey

Whitey Jedi Master star 6

Jan 26, 2003
    Ouch.

22. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Probably going to see this again on Thursday. Maybe in 3D this time.

23. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    That plot, not the movie!

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    "Someday I will be the most powerful Avenger ever!"

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Cobra members are not that powerful compare to the Extremis muntants, but overall their members know the discipline well and successfully replaced the President.