main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

MOD Questions about the new boards? Read this thread!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by Commander-DWH, Aug 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_Face

The_Face Ex-Manager star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 22, 2003
    If you go to your profile and the "Postings" tab, there's a little thing near the bottom that says "Find all threads by Insert Username." That might be helpful, depending on how many threads you tend to start. For me, the answer is "Not that many," so about half of it is my fics.

Kestrel_Kenobi likes this.
  2. furrylittlebantha

furrylittlebantha Jedi Master star 3

Dec 2, 2005
    This is all very discombobulating. I feel creaky and old. But I'm excited about the new functionality! Progress marches on. :) Thanks for the sticky.

3. Anapad Nabooine

Anapad Nabooine Jedi Master star 3

Jun 19, 2005
    Hi! I'm a "re-newbie," meaning I've been away from the Jedi Council Forums for a long time. News of the upcoming SW trilogy by Disney has brought me back! I just want to show support for the mods during this time of working out the kinks in the site functions. I'm patiently and eagerly awaiting the day when I can click on "To Love A Sith" (by lady_sapphire) and read it! I love A/P stories. [face_batting]

4. CmdrMitthrawnuruodo

CmdrMitthrawnuruodo Force Ghost star 6

Jul 1, 2000
    I know that discussing your stories is prohibited here but what about discussing/speculating about an idea to help an author get things right for a future story? I.e Halo and how it's characters/factions would react to the Star Wars universe.

And if that is allowed what tag would I use?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. briannabass

briannabass Jedi Knight

Jan 19, 2010
    I was just wondering if we had an update on when the 10,000 character limit issue would be fixed?

6. mavjade

mavjade Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 10, 2005
    There isn't/hasn't been a limit on new posts since we got here, it was old posts that were truncated when we moved. As to those posts, we've recently heard from Mike (the guy who worked for IGN who has helped on issues) but have no specific info right now. :(

7. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    I still can't get the text size thing to work like i want it to. This is size 3 and this is size 4 but the start of the first sentence looks like it is 3 and a half. Now when you start a new sentence the text size goes back to its default setting. Is there a way i can get the 3 and a half size font manually? Also i noticed when i copy and paste new chapters to my stories on the thread, some paragraphs have different font sizes even though in the original document the font sizes are the same.

8. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    jacen200015 - I've noticed similar things myself, but honestly I don't know why it does that or how to fix it other than manually typing the BB code for font size when it happens:

[size=#] Body of text here [/size] with the font size number in place of the #

9. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Is there any way to lock (and conversely, unlock) our fics?

10. pronker

pronker Force Ghost star 4

Jan 28, 2007
    XenForo has been up and running for some time now - would it be possible to have a small recap on what went right, what went wrong *yes, I know about the truncated posts* after the months of operating? Also, any news on the repair of the truncated posts?

My input is that it , well, loads faster than the old boards. Please forgive the computer illiteracy if this has nothing to do with anything that you have control over, yet I used to wait a while for the pages or responses to load, and noticed many, many double comments by folks who apparently got tired of waiting and hit 'send' more than once. Now those double posts are gone, yay. Also, the general look of the site is pretty nifty. I am content with it, and miss only the large amount of icons available for use.

Sincerely, pronker

11. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Valairy Scot - When you click into the tread you want to lock/unlock, on the right, near the top there is something that says "Thread Tools" click on it and there should be a check box that says "open". A check mark means it's unlocked and no check there means it's locked. (I'm almost positive that ability was retained in fanfic, but if you can't let me know!)

pronker - Something like that is in the works and should be up soon. :)

12. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Fantastic!

13. cje24576

cje24576 Jedi Master star 1

Aug 21, 2010
    I know it's been about 6 months since you replied to my post, but I wanted to make a point that I didn't in my original response. You say that it just makes it easier to find the users we want to watch (at least in your opinion), well, in my opinion, I don't think users will want to spend time (which could amount to hours at a time) doing that. In my opinion, we want to be ALERTED to any new posts by the users on our watch list, THIS IS WHY we add these users to our watch list & I'm extremely annoyed that the admins changed the way these alerts work & I'm REALLY hoping they will change them back to the way they worked before the website changed.

14. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    I have since learned you can watch a thread without posting in it; At the top right hand of the thread there is a 'watch thread' button. As for users, at least as it applies to fanfic, you can always ask for alert for a specifc story from an author.

It's not that anyone has changed anything, it just that we moved hosts (because we had to, not by choice) and xenoforo has different things and different ways of doing certain things than IGN and said things work in completely different ways. This is the way xenoforo works and other than add-ons that they offer, we can't change things. (We've gotten many of the add-ons that make things more familiar.)

15. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    Thanks for clearing that up (regarding getting alerts). I guess I didn't realize it had to do with the host. It's too bad xenoforo doesn't have the feature where we receive messages alerting us to new posts by users (not just new posts on fics, but also new threads). Again, thanks for clearing this issue up.
    I was wondering though: this may seem like a stupid question, but why did we have to switch website hosts in the first place? Thanks.

16. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    We used to be hosted by IGN, but when they decided to upgrade their own boards, they decided they didn't want to support the cost of running this forum anymore. IGN was running on its own unique, and very old software. They decided in the upgrade to go to Xenforo instead, and so while they were converting their database to Xenforo, they converted ours as well. We could have had the database converted to a different forum type if we'd wanted, but this database is so huge and unwieldy that the cost was in the thousands of dollars to convert it ourselves.

Basically, while it's unfortunate that IGN chose not to host us anymore, they treated us very well in the split. Personally, I love Xenforo now that I've had some time to learn its features.

pronker likes this.
  17. cje24576

Aug 21, 2010
    Commander-DWH, that's a shame. I loved having alerts of new posts by users in my e-mail inbox (not having to worry about going to each user on my watch list & finding the newest posts/ threads by them like I will have to do now (it's going to be a real pain having to do that). Sigh, oh well. I guess I'll have to get used to it eventually. Thanks for letting me know what happened.

18. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    any news on when the truncated posts will be restored

19. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Sorry, no. :( Last we heard, Mike from IGN was trying to get us a physical copy of the backup that was made but there were some roadblocks that he was having to work through.

20. Space_Wolf

Space_Wolf Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2007
    Would it be possible for authors to fix the truncated posts themselves? Of course it would mean that only stories by active members at the moment could do it. Or do you think it would be best to wait?

21. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    That certainly can be done and is not a problem. Some have already done it and we mods have done it a lot with rules/FAQ threads. There is a possibility that when we get the old info back any changes that have since been made to that thread will revert back to the way it was in the back up, but other than that there is no problem with it. :)

22. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    How would one go about this?:confused:

23. mavjade

Sep 10, 2005
    Hopefully by using the backups that one had of their own stories, either from their own computer or from other sites. Failing that, there is always the possibility that the Wayback Machine has it. Then just copy/pasting into the old thread, which the original author should still be able to edit. (If not somebody let me know.)

pronker likes this.
  24. pronker

Jan 28, 2007
    Okay - thanks for the swift reply!

25. Mando-Man

Mando-Man Jedi Master star 2

Dec 1, 2008
    sadly the way back maching doesnt have any results for any of my stories, so i'll just have to wait for things to get fixed.

good thing im a patient person :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.