main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Giacchino's Star Trek and Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Strilo , Apr 21, 2013.

1. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    With the second installment of the Abrams Star Trek coming out soon, I have been dusting off the 2009 film, watching it several times recently. I have also listened to the score more and really like it a lot. I love the new main theme Giacchino came up with and the tone of the score overall is so wonderfully Star Trek without being a tired rehash of previous music.

I look forward to hearing the score for STID very soon. Seeing Giacchino's posts on Twitter and Instagram throughout the scoring process has just made me look forward to the music even more.

2. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Loved this CD! Hearing the old theme spruced up on the big screen was amazing. Especially the end credits -- I had assumed before seeing the first one that they wouldn't use the old theme. But Giacchino's version was fantastic.

I want him to take on the signature frantic fight theme for the next one:

(ok ok so the music in this vid was clearer than the others....:p)

3. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I was thinking it might be fun to hear him arrange Horner's Star Trek theme from II and III for a moment or two in the new film.

Barriss_Coffee and Yunners like this.
  4. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    FYI several tracks appear to have leaked to youtube by now. Not the entire CD though -- I think these are previews.

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I saw that the score is coming out way after the film. How weird...

6. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'd imagine it might be because of Abrams' secrecy preferences...might be spoilers in the track titles, after all, like Qui-Gon dying or something :p

7. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    No major spoilers in the titles as far as I see. Some of the cues on the tracks could be considered spoilerish though if folks have a good ear.

This is the main villain theme - I'll spoiler-tag it for now. I was hesitant to post this earlier since I wasn't sure of the legality of these "preview" tracks, but it seems they're not being removed from Youtube and this particular theme can be found all over the internetz at the moment.

Slow, but I like it a helluva lot better than Nero's. Not that Nero's was particularly bad, but it was sort of generic-evil.

Also, don't read the comments underneath.

8. Han Burgundy

Han Burgundy Jedi Master star 3

Jan 28, 2013
    Honestly, I feel that's the way it should be. Not even necessarily because of spoilers, but because you should have the full cinematic experience first before pouring over each individual aspect.

I remember when my friend got me a copy of the EPIII score (it was a copy so it didn't even have titles), I obsessed over every track so much that I began to set up expectations for how the film would play out. The music that plays when Obi Wan is tracking down Grevious on Utapau (right before he jumps down) I always expected to be the soundtrack to an intense, white-knuckled treetop shootout between a group of wookies and droids.

I'm still a little pissed that scene never happened.

FRAGWAGON and Barriss_Coffee like this.
  9. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    That's not bad...I agree about Nero's theme being fairly generic.

I think the copyright Nazis are generally more lax about movie scores...I've seen lots of websites that specialize in movie scores and aren't the least secretive, and nobody seems to bother them. I imagine because scores aren't exactly Billboard Top 100 sorts of affairs-whatever money they bring in is basically a function of the film itself is my rationalization.

10. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I liked the new score, but I was kinda hoping for more new stuff. It seems to be pretty much the same themes as the first film. Maybe I just need to see the film again...

11. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm going tomorrow night.

12. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I saw the film again and I liked it a lot more the second time. I also loved the score this time. I was not initially sure how to take the piano solo bit in a Star Trek film. But I really love it. Beautiful work by Giacchino.

13. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    It's perfect for Benedict's character and that particular scene.

Bought the score today after seeing it last night...excellent film and a really good score. Giacchino's impressed me since his Lost days, but this was definitely a score up there with any Trek score ever.

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I am annoyed. I bought the score CD from Amazon and it doesn't come with their AutoRip feature, even though you can buy it as an mp3 album. So I get to wait until Wednesday for the CD to arrive.

15. Jedi General Gelderd

Jedi General Gelderd Jedi Master star 5

Mar 6, 2004
    My favourite moments from the soundtracks is the music leading from each pre-title sequence, those drum, string and orchestral beats that lead from the action into the reveal of the title - that's just epic 'Star Trek' adventure there in those few seconds!

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah the main theme is pretty cool.

17. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I love the dark vibe to this soundtrack. The score for the first film wasn't bad, but this one seems more memorable somehow. Sort of a creeping evil. It's works great in opposition to the bombastic main theme.

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I got my CD yesterday. Loving the score so far. "Buying the Space Farm" is pretty great, as is "London Calling."

DarthBoba likes this.
  19. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    I just realized -- ~1:58 into "The San Fran Hustle", the OS fight theme plays for a few seconds!!! Giacchino didn't forget it!!!

(or maybe it's a freak coincidence and I'm just hearing things...)

DarthBoba likes this.
  20. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    I'll give it a listen on my way home today.

21. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    What is the OS fight theme?

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  22. Barriss_Coffee

Jun 29, 2003
    This one I had mentioned I had mentioned back in April:
    I'd have to see the film again, but I assume the San Fran song is from the scene where Spock fights you-know-who. So it would be appropriate I guess.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Ahh something from the Original Series. Never cared much for that music.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  24. DarthBoba

Jun 29, 2000
    Yep, I can hear it as well. Always like musical nods like that, so long as they're nods, and not outright c&p like the end of Jurassic Park 3, and when they arrive on the island in Jurassic Park 3. :p

25. Lego Thrawn

Lego Thrawn Jedi Knight star 1

Aug 30, 2013
    The music is one of only three things I like about JJ-Trek.