main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Comics Obscure Droids and Ewoks comics -- translated by Abel Peña

Discussion in 'Literature' started by GrandAdmiralJello , Mar 25, 2013.

1. CeiranHarmony

CeiranHarmony Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 10, 2004
    Mapmaker Modi is from there I guess... give him a job!

2. Kez-Iban

Kez-Iban Jedi Master star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    A translation of the Spanish Droids book would be great! In searching for images of Spanish Droids books, I came across these at the following link. #mce_temp_url#
    Is it known if these were ever released in English or were they Spanish only? There are also at least two more books in this series, one with an A-Wing shaped cover and another with the White Witch.

Tython Awakening likes this.
  3. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    The notion that some part of Threepio's personality might be older than the one we know would explain why he seems to believe that he's "centuries" old in the original Russ Manning strips, though... But yeah, it's not the greatest fix for the crossover in particular.

Interesting...why Scoundrel's Luck?

You know, having taken another look at the comic, the absolute best fix might be that Artoo, having seen they jumped ahead in time by 5-12 years, decided to mess with Threepio's head by telling him they'd traveled 100 years into the future. After all, the situation would be far more dire if they couldn't return Plooz to his long-dead family. And Threepio might not have been willing to travel back through the space warp if such a relatively short amount of time had passed.

Wat. What. What. No, no, no, it's too late for an April Fool's prank... And if they really are spoof covers, they need real novels to go with them, fast. Those are awesome.

TC

4. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    Heh, the first thing I did was check the date on the post about it and it wasn't April 1st. You can find some PDFs on google if you search for "Han Solo Dale Avery", though I can't read any of it, being a non-hungarian speaker.

From what I can figure out, Ed Fisher is a pseudonym for author Gáspár András

There is an interesting bit from the copyright page of one of them:
    Han Solo and the Bounty Hunters
    A Wallace Book published by Pendragon Books Ltd.
    Copyright © 1978 The Star Wars Corporation
    Hungarian translation © 1992 Nyulszi Zsolt
    Hungarian edition © 1993 Valhalla Pholy Kft.

Also, this page, if you use google translate calls them fakes and has some interesting information, though some of it is a little fuzzy with the auto-translation:
    http://monty.blog.hu/2011/09/28/konyv_star_wars_han_solo_regenyek_daley_avery_fisher_crispin

5. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    In context, I think the "fakes" thing is a rough translation of "bootlegs"--real books, by the same people that did the Hungarian versions of the HST, just not done with permission from LFL.

In other words: I am confirmed that they DO in fact exist!

Havac likes this.
  6. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Yeah, but the translation does claim that LFL got the rights to them, so they could theoretically do a translation effort similar to this.

7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    Who in Lit is still on speaking terms with TFN? I'm sure if they put the word out something could be arranged.

8. Suikoman444

Suikoman444 Jedi Master

Sep 8, 2009
    I don't know, but I for sure would love to read these even if they're completely non-canon. Those who have read them in Hungarian seem to really like them.

9. Halagad_Ventor

Halagad_Ventor Star Wars Author - SWRPG Designer star 4 VIP

Jul 3, 2001
    I have a Hungarian to English dictionary, but that's the best I can do.

I was alerted to the existent of these early this year. But finding a professional-grade translator willing to do these on the cheap ... well, as Han put it, "That's the real trick, isn't it?" Hopefully, Eddie's having more luck with that.

I'm fairly positive those were never released in English.

There's a tricky timing thing there because Scoundrel's Luck dates itself, IIRC, within a few weeks or a month after the events of A New Hope. But the story is so excellent, I wouldn't want to get rid of it over so feeble a cause.

Well, you've seen what I've done now. This particular suggestion came darn close to how I'd explained it.

Take care,
    Abel

10. eddie1969

eddie1969 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 3, 2005
    Regarding the Hungarian novels, I have all four of the originals now... The names of Ed Fisher and Dale Avery are pennames (they do not really excist) as the books were written by the Hungarians credited as the 'translators' of these 'originally English-languaged books' (NOT!): the smallprint on the inside cover mentions that these are Hungarian translations of English books (but that's not true: probably a ruse to let the Hungarians at the time believe these were official continuations of the Hungarian translations of the Brian Daley books). These were unofficial, unsanctioned novels... (but they look mighty-awesome on the Bookshelf!!)

Tython Awakening likes this.
  11. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    True, true, the month the Star Warriors spend searching for Vader doesn't line up very well with other sources. Though TheSecondQuest has been doing a great job of trying to see how all these sources play out in real time in this thread, and has managed, with some difficulty, to work in nearly a month for Vader's disappearance.

It's not nearly as elegant, though--Artoo has been known to lie and manipulate, but not nearly as often as Threepio assumes a disaster is nigh. :)

TC

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  12. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Halagad_Ventor and Gorefiend like this.
  13. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004
    Ronyards as an Abominor is all kinds of awesome :D

Darth Zack and Halagad_Ventor like this.
  14. TalonCard

Jan 31, 2001
    Agreed--and Aaron got a mention too! :) Interesting explanation for the Fromm's continued survival...their use of clones against the Death Watch makes for a nice follow up to the Clone Wars Mauladore storyline, but I'm curious what specifically prompted that...

The explanation for Broom's mad droid experiments is pretty hilarious--there's some method to the madness after all! :)

TC

Halagad_Ventor likes this.
  15. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
  16. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    For the most intrepid soul among us.

Thanks for that, TC (and 2ndQuest)! I shall have a look.

It's very brief, so I didn't want to spoil that by addressing previous speculation about it. ;)

It was very much a combination of multiple considerations. First, I'm of the mind that whenever you can tie older continuity into newer continuity, it breathes vitality into the older source. Coupled with that guiding principal, I knew that 2) I wanted to incorporate a reference to the Annoo-dat clones; 3) the Fromms' survival into the Darth Plagueis novel and the MyComyc series was worth addressing; and 4) the Death Watch proliferation of the Clone Wars TV series is an issue that stands somewhat at odds with the established Expanded Universe and is unlikely to be directly addressed soon (and given my deep scribal ties to the Mandalorians, I feel a little responsibility for their, shall we say, living history).

So, when trying to figuring out why Jabba would let Sise and his gang off the hook, it seemed to me natural that the Hutts would have a grievance with the Death Watch after they did the Hutt Council serious wrong. That thought then pretty much triggered the aforementioned considerations.

Another inspired contribution by Rich. I quite loved it.

And thanks for the compliments, CeiranHarmony! :)

That was riffing off of Dan's work, who had already established that researchers suspected many Abominors had infiltrated the galaxy. It did seem high time to confirm the Yuuzhan Vong connection, though.

Thanks for that, Plaristes. I'll probably cross-post the relevant responses.

Take care,
    Abel

Tython Awakening and Gorefiend like this.
  17. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I had the White Witch one. Who would have guessed it would become relevant so many years later?

18. Halagad_Ventor

Jul 3, 2001
    Ciao friends! If you haven't seen it already, I just found out StarWars.com published an in-depth piece I wrote on the rare Italian Star Wars comic Il Potere della Forza (a.k.a. "The Power of the Force"). I've wanted to write about this story for some time.

Once again, I've translated the comic, and Rich has done the re-lettering. It's an offer you can't refuse.

Hasbro Italy’s Mysterious Star Wars Comic, Il Potere della Forza

Please enjoy, paesans!

Abel

19. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Halagad_Ventor You're very productive these days, we have no time to catch our breath between two articles. Which is a good thing of course. ;) It's weird you did not know the article had already gone live, but I'm glad I could warn you. :D

20. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    Halagad_Ventor

Since you are on the hunt for obscure sources and translations, if there is any chance for these following german-only mini-books to see a translation, that'd be great. If you need someone german to help, just ask ;) . Though one may hope they still can be canon in light of the Sequel trilogy due to the frame story looking back to the SW Saga as history takes place 1000ABY. Check it out please

http://boards.theforce.net/threads/...ished-only-in-germany.30472546/#post-30472546

for further discussion we had about them and more details to their content check out the link I posted above. thx

Plaristes, eddie1969 and LelalMekha like this.
  21. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    That would be awesome!!!! I managed to get these 4 little (officially-published!!!) books over the years!

Plaristes likes this.
  22. LelalMekha

LelalMekha Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 29, 2012
    Sounds very exciting, but these were never officially licensed to begin with, were they?

23. CeiranHarmony

May 10, 2004
    well they were. official logo, publisher and all. but that was 1997, where licensing was more lax as hungarian novels, italian and spanish comics proof ;) so how official they may be now remains to be seen. even Indiana Jones got foreign language novels in german by german authors that I am not sure if they got translated to english too or not. ;)

24. eddie1969

Feb 3, 2005
    Some of the German Indy-novels were translated into Dutch as well, but I don't believe they ever made it to the English market...

25. Plaristes

Plaristes Jedi Master star 3

Jul 2, 2007
    There's a fan translation of one of the German Indy books by Wolfgang Hohlbein into English, but nothing official for any of them. :(