main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Is Ian's portrayal of Sidious a bit over the top after killing Windu?

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Slowpokeking, May 15, 2013.

1. Darth Dominikkus

Darth Dominikkus Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 5, 2013
    That dialogue is probably my favorite dialogue in the entire PT.

FRAGWAGON and darth ladnar like this.
  2. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    We were never looking at his real teeth until then.

3. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    lol!

Darth Plagueis: They're all gonna know you're a Sith Lord with those choppers, Palpy.
    Darth Sidious: But... I hate to brush!
    Darth Plagueis: Do it!

4. Skelter

Skelter Jedi Padawan star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    The only annoying part was when Sidious started making those stupd-ass faces when dueling mace....I mean, wt*?

J7Luke, Sitara and Darth Nerdling like this.
  5. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    That's pretty close the actual dialog in Dark Lord.;)

:p

Son of a Bith likes this.
  6. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    Are we potentially looking at the next contestant for Extreme Makeover: Sith Lord Dentures Edition? :p

darth ladnar likes this.
  7. SithStarSlayer

Oct 23, 2003
    I like to think that he was laughing soo hard at knowing all along that he might as well be named Darth Hideous. I wonder if Maul saw the real Sidious as he aged and grew in power, or if they ever talked about the toll it exacted upon each user. Like Plagueis did when he cast lightning and lectured Cosinga's bane.

Sitara and darth ladnar like this.
  8. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    I think it was the makeup that was overdone and made the scene come off a little silly. I thought he looked too much like Dan Aykroyd in Nothing But Trouble.

[​IMG]

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Which is weird because by that point Plagueis had been dead for 13 years. :p

^ This. Unfortunately, "scarred by the lightning" is a pervasive belief ( even among those who admit there's no scarring, comically enough ).

If you read Ian's quotes from SWI, you will find that what you would have much preferred was what actually happened, at least as far as Ian is concerned. ( Also, if we give Ian the benefit of the doubt, it seems that Lucas had the same idea during production. )

Sitara and SithStarSlayer like this.
  10. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Do you (or anyone else) have a link to the transcript of this interview? The link for SWI backissue digital downloads is broken and I'd love to read it.

11. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I can see why others would be totally turned off at the hamminess after he is revealed to be the Sith lord, but it works,

the guy had been acting for how many years, almost to the point of stoicness, imagine being drunk as a skunk and acting sober for years,

Palps was drunk on the darkside, and it showed

13. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    Thanks! I did google it but I didn't know exactly I was looking for. Much appreciated. Gonna try to track down the full interview, but in the meantime, here are the "notable quotes" from the link above:

I love Ian and I love to hate the Emperor :)

14. HevyDevy

HevyDevy Force Ghost star 5

Apr 13, 2011
    While I prefer his persona pre-transformation, such as in the Opera scene, I think it works. The effect on his voice in the Sith knighting scene really re-enforces Anakin is selling his soul and taking the easier but uglier way out. The way I read the scene, Anakin can't look at Sidious at first, however then gives in and becomes somewhat empowered by it.
    Sidious' cackling and general demeanour while fighting Yoda is over-the-top I suppose, but that is Sidious finally unleashing and revelling in not having to hide it anymore. Like I said, the subtler stuff is better IMO, but his personality after the turn in Anakin, and the turn in the movie does fit quite well for me.

FRAGWAGON likes this.
  15. King Terak

King Terak Jedi Knight star 1

Nov 22, 2012
    He's been quiet and patient for decades, after that long, he's finally able to celebrate the Sith victory. I'm sure we'd all celebrate like fruitcakes if we waited that long for a victory too.

16. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    His pre transformation Sidious scenes are also very good.

"I will make it legal!"

17. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    Yes, I also enjoy the Ep1 Sidious scenes. It reminds me of in 99 not knowing Palpatine was Sidious, and watching now it is amusing to think there are people who don't make this connection on first viewing. Also, there is the irony that the TF state "We should not have made this bargain" and in ROTS their reservations prove to be justified after Sidious orders them killed.
    Generally I think I prefer Sidious's earlier persona, you get a hint of his dismissal of the Jedi as he states "The Chancellor should never have brought them into this. Kill them immediately". Which later is backed up by his comment "The Jedi are relentless. If they are not all destroyed it will be civil war witout end". It is just interesting to see his perspective on the Jedi, as a nuisance that he finally doesn't have to put up with after ROTS.

18. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I think that change in opinion has more to do with his plan finally coming to fruition in RotS. In TPM, he only has to worry about two certain Jedi in the whole dispute, while in RotS he is referring to the Order as a whole.

19. HevyDevy

Apr 13, 2011
    True. I think there is a parallel in the fact the Sith are the underdog in the PT. By the OT, they are totally ruling, and the Rebels and the Jedi coming back into power after being defeated is a complete inversion of the Sith coming to power in the prequels. But maybe I am stating the obvious...

darth ladnar likes this.
  20. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    "Did you ever hear the tale of the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise"

Oozes "forbidden secrets".

SithStarSlayer likes this.
  21. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    That's as Palpatine(it's also amazing), I mean as Sidious before Dooku and the CIS leaders.

22. Ambervikings91

Ambervikings91 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 1, 2012
    I felt there were times hew was a little over the top in Ep 3

23. Allana_Rey

Allana_Rey Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I thought he did an amazing job. Heck he did the best job out of everyone in ROTS. His cackling is so chilling and I love him in the Yoda Vs. Sidious duel. So no I wouldn't say he was over the top.

24. Darth Dnej

Darth Dnej Jedi Master star 4

Apr 27, 2013
    He was defintely over the top. His puffy face, his insane cackling and ridiculous lines when Darth Vader is born in his office.

He is kind of ridiculous in Return of the Jedi, but not near as much as in Revenge of the Sith.

25. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    There seemed to be something lacking in make-up and puppets in the PT.. Ep I Yoda was terrible, they cant seem to match the Bith in the PT, and Palpatine didn't quite look right.