main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Excited more for prequels or sequels?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by WhiskeyGold, Nov 1, 2012.

1. Eeth-my-Koth

Eeth-my-Koth Jedi Grand Master star 9

May 25, 2001
    More excited for the prequels.
    The combination of the saga wrapping up perfect with 6 makes me nervous for these.

ARAJediMaster likes this.
  2. ARAJediMaster

ARAJediMaster Jedi Knight

May 11, 2013
    Trust me, I feel the same way you do. I really do.

3. Star Wars 1977 Only

Star Wars 1977 Only Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2013
    I was never in favor of more movies after the Original Star Wars, as the 'saga' is just a series of contradictions now simply because it was made up on the fly. Like most sequels and prequels, the movies lose the magic the originals usually possess, and they lose that 'it' factor. I thought the Prequels were a stretch to make 3 movies out of, but I don't know what else there is to tell with 3 new sequel trilogy movies. This is the whole problem with sequels and prequels, is they make the original look ridiculous when viewing it in that specific order. You end up having Luke kissing Leia and then their siblings in the next movie? You have Leia talking about how her mom died when she was very young, and then she dies at childbirth in Episode III? And then Empire and Jedi just one big liar out of Obiwan in the original movie!:(

4. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I'd be with you if we were talking about Jaws. :p

Darth Chiznuk and DarthBreezy like this.
  5. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    Pretty much anything they want to tell, really.

fishtailsam likes this.
  6. fishtailsam

fishtailsam Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 30, 2003
    I agree with you too a point, tiny forum baby,
    I think Star Wars is most brilliant viewed on it's own. But then my imagination takes over, and I think, "what if blah happened", and I start wondering about what was lukes dad like, and boom, here's this movie that reveals "Holy Moly! Vader's his DAD!>!?!"
    And that is brilliant too. So I like the OT; I like the IDEA of the PT. And just like I was stoked after watching the Makazie One fan film, I will probably be stoked for the ST. Because I like Star Wars.

7. Jae-Dec

Jae-Dec Jedi Master star 3

May 20, 2013
    Have to say at this point I am most excited about the ST.

8. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    And Psycho. And Halloween.

eht13 and Carbon1985 like this.
  9. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    And Jurassic Park, and National Lampoon's Vacation, and The Matrix too.

eht13 likes this.
  10. themetresgained

themetresgained Jedi Master star 4

Feb 23, 2013
    It's hard to top how I felt about the prequels. Or ROTS, since I was probably a mite too young to be a spoilerhound for Attack of the Clones.

Perhaps my comparative calm is just the lack of youthful exuberance.

Or perhaps said exuberance will go into overdrive as soon as we get some meaty details on plot and characters :p

11. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004
    I was very excited before Episode 1. I have been kind of excited about Episode VII. I know I shouldn't get my hopes up and get too excited, but the excitement is building.

12. Hurricanejedi

Hurricanejedi Jedi Youngling star 1

May 8, 2013
    I have never been a bigger Star Wars fan than now. Yeh the prequels were not but we got to see Yoda kick ass, a black Jedi. Obi Wan (Ewen was hands down the best part of the movies IMO) I cannot wait. They are in good hands with people that love the OT.

13. Commander Knox

Commander Knox Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2013
    I am most excited for the spinoffs.

14. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I wish the spinoffs weren't happening. Sigh.

15. ARAJediMaster

May 11, 2013
    You don’t? Why not? Because of the people who are now in charge of Lucasfilm are most likely to screw them up, or that six movies are enough, or what?

16. themetresgained

Feb 23, 2013
    I like the idea of Star Wars films being just about the Skywalker family. I think 9 movies in total are going to be enough. I also think that producing a movie every year is going to inevitably result in sloppiness. And it feels too much like a moneymaking gig rather than an actual desire to tell a story.

17. Pearlsaber

Pearlsaber Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2013
    Sequels!

I was only 9 when Ep. 1 came out. Naturally, I am more excited about the prequels because I'm able to release my fandom in full-force! :D

18. ARAJediMaster

May 11, 2013
    I gotcha. Well, in my humblest opinion, I don’t really see anything for Episodes VII-IX for the reason of the saga being Anakin’s story more than anything else. We could see the connections Lucas made to bring all six films together. For me, I feel that these next three movies don’t exactly have a place after Episode VI; the writers and authors Expanded Universe seemed to know what they were doing. They had their own ideas and mythologies on what should happen in the Star Wars Universe, with the exception of The New Jedi Order and beyond. For me, the films are meant to be one BIG story about one person and one person alone; Anakin, who becomes Darth Vader, and returns to the light. Anybody can make up stories about the Rebellion becoming the New Republic, what the main heroes are doing to restore peace, freedom, and justice to the galaxy, and where the Empire dwells in its reconquest of the galaxy.

For me, it is *these* new movies that the big cash-in instead. If I were in charge, I would instead go for adapting some of the novelizations of the Expanded Universe like the Thrawn Trilogy, the Dark Empire series, and a few others into TV movies or series. I believe that would be a more viable way of telling the story without sacrificing other’s vision to accomplishment. I also like to see the possibility of TV movies series showcasing the events before the movies; i.e. Knights of the Old Republic, or even between the movies like the nineteen year gap between Episodes III-IV. You probably might not agree with me on this, but that is just me.

19. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

I used to think that way, then the bulk of the EU became an awful mess and I started liking the books of the X-Wing series a lot more.

20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    It's still early, and I can speak from experience that at this time when the PT was announced (mid 90's) I really didn't get that excited. But once that first trailer comes out, or you see those first 'behind the scenes' montage on E Channel or some other entertainment show, then it grabs you right in!

It's better off that your not jazzed right now, because it's still 2 years away and you'll start going crazy looking for any internet rumor you can find. I did that for Episode III and I built my expectations way too high and read too many spoilers. I am going to do what I did for Episode I & II and just kind of sit back and chill and then start getting hyped when they release the first trailers (at the end of 2014?) and then ride that excitement for the next 6 months until the premiere. The great thing about SW is the hype is just as fun as the movies!

themetresgained likes this.
  21. Sith-Mullet

Sith-Mullet Jedi Master star 3

Aug 2, 2003
    I'm just happy that more movies are being made. They just better not suck.

22. Dra---

Dra--- Force Ghost star 6

Dec 30, 2012
  23. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    I was 8 when the prequels were about to happen. So I was an 8-year-old's version of excited.

Now I'm 22, with a 22-year-old's version of excitement.

They are very different versions of the same thing.

24. Spork111

Spork111 Jedi Master star 2

Jun 19, 2002
    I've been a Star Wars fan since I was around five (so around 1993-94), but still Phantom Menace managed to kind of sneak up on me. I was ten and I enjoyed it a great deal - but moreover it made me really excited for Episode II, so that's when I started hanging around these forums and I became a bit of a spoiler hound. Truth be told, I was pretty disappointed in AOTC, so I really didn't follow the developments with ROTS until right around it released - and I was pleasantly surprised by it for the most part. I guess it's a classic case of high vs. low expectations.

Now, I'm probably the most excited I've been since my post-TPM pre-AOTC high. I guess I just see a lot of potential considering the new creative direction. Of course, on the other hand, I'm more cautious considering my prior disappointments...

And I agree that this all seems bizarre. A year ago this entire thing was simply unthinkable, and now it's actually happening. I guess that's also how TPM managed to sneak up on me - even though I vaguely knew it was being made, it just didn't seem real until I saw the first trailer.

Hurricanejedi likes this.