main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are PT fans favored over OT fans?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garrett Atkins, May 25, 2013.

1. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I see a lot of PT fans trolling and saying people are wrong for liking the OT. One user, who I decided I will not name, always seems to need to tell people thing like: "that is an opinion, not a fact", and "Says who? You, because your opinion is yours, not everyone's." However, he never gets corrected for this obvious trolling. I see OT fans such as myself getting my messages edited by the mods for this sort of thing. What do you guys think?

2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I have not visited this Bizarro-World version of our boards, but I'd love to. I may go Moderate over there, where I wouldn't have to constantly clean up after OT fans insulting the general intelligence or chromosome count of anyone mongoloid enough to enjoy the PT.

Seriously, our aim is to have it be fair on both sides. PT fans got sick of being bashed, incessantly, and it has turned out to be a tad nasty at times, but both sides need to respect each others' opinions and grasp that there is no accounting for taste.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Just out of curiosity, how is "that's an opinion, not a fact" considered trolling?

4. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    He feels the need to tell people that their opinions are opinions (thanks Ric Olie), while contributing absolutely nothing to the thread.

Darth Downunder likes this.
  5. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    So block him or simply don't read the person's posts. Problem solved.

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Also, try: "not insulting him for liking films that you have made it abundantly, repetitively clear that you dislike...". The results of that approach may be shocking.

7. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Who says I have? This is exactly what I'm talking about, people assume that since I like the OT better than the PT, I have insulted this person because of his views. Mods aren't supposed to be biased, but sometimes they blatantly are.

8. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
  9. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Without knowing what thread you're discussing, I can't comment. From the other end though, I've seen quite a bit of what Myke described, taking place in the RLM thread--people who like the PT being accused of not understanding an "objectively good" story. There is plenty of ***hole behavior on the PT side too, I'm not arguing otherwise, and as to whether there are double standards in certain areas, that question got asked and never got a straight answer.

It does seem though, just from my observation, that the definition of "trolling" from the user end has become very subjective in general, sometimes being used as "anyone who disagrees with me must be trying to get a rise out of me and is therefore a troll," and that moderators can really only be expected to moderate for personal attacks and obvious trolling cases (such as going into the Ewan McGregor fan club and posting that Ewan is the worst actor ever).

That is strictly my opinion and the moderators might come in and tell me I'm wrong.

10. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    What have you been saying back to them? Sounds like people are provoking others imo.

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I say you have. You have tried that exact shtick on ME in certain discussions. I'm not angry about it or out to get you. I happened to be the first Mod on the scene to see your thread and I want everyone to be treated fairly. But, you have posted with attempts at sounding snarky toward people for having the audacity to favor films that you don't. Maybe you've moved past that in the 3-4 months since you signed up with this account, but don't make it sound like you are randomly being attacked for liking the OT.

Thoix Heoro and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  12. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Trolling is contributing nothing to a thread.

13. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Neither is posting divisively:
    What do you expect the response to something like this to be from people who care about the PT?

14. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    Uh , I said that the OT is Star Wars. What do you think it is? Indiana Jones?

15. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    You know exactly what I think it is... and you know exactly what your implication in that quote of your words is... as well as what it was meant to accomplish in that thread. But, thanks for demonstrating your combative, snarky shtick in this discussion. It will make solving the issue go much quicker.

16. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    You are right, no PT fan has ever attacked OT fans and has gotten away with it. Oh wait, have you mods seen Anakin_Darth post number 103 in his rlm thread?

17. SithStarSlayer

SithStarSlayer Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2003
    From looking at the notes... there might have been an issue with saving edits in that thread.

It has been resolved.

18. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011

I dunno, the definition of "contributing nothing" is subjective in and of itself.

Where do we draw the line if the moderators are expected to act on posts reported as "this person isn't contributing to the thread"?

19. Son of a Bith

Feb 28, 2013
    That's an opinion, not a fact. ;)

jk of course

20. Garrett Atkins

Feb 11, 2013
    From Wikipedia: " A troll is someone who posts inflammatory, extraneous, or off topic messages in an online community." So there. And I'd like to add as long as it is not considered to derail a thread, then a post should not be considered trolling. However, this user seems to be trolling.

21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I was using the Wikipedia/Urban Dictionary definition as well but the last part was "for the purpose of upsetting others."

We've talked about the situation in question so you know I agree with you there but I was speaking in general. Off topic posts are one thing and I hope there is consistency in steering a thread back on topic, but I don't know that all off topic posts are considered trolling.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  22. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Do onto other users as you would have done onto yourself.

Someone not liking the OT, PT, Holiday Special or TCW should have no bearing on anything. When it graduates into attacking other users, thats when it crosses the line so far as I'm concerned.

Of course my thoughts on where that line is are in no way G-Canon.

23. GGrievous

GGrievous Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 6, 2005
    I'll leave this here
    [​IMG]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  24. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Pointing out that an opinion is an opinion is not trolling, nor is artificially conflating one's own opinion with fact trolling. I'm possibly desensitized due to some other websites I peruse, but I see claims of "objective" stances fairly often; it's really just a thing people on the internet do. Because throwing a word in front of my opinion makes it objectively correct, y'see.

25. Aaronaman

Aaronaman Jedi Knight star 4

Mar 12, 2013
    I honestly can't get my head around the 'bashing' that goes on in the different threads.....if I don't like something I don't comment on it?!
    I'm a fan of the OT but not so much that I'd go so far to say that the PT isn't SW....that's complete crazy talk.

Theres a few 'fans' whos comments I don't even bother reading because I know it's goin to be full of stupid remarks that I know they put on just for a reaction.

I know a few of my opinions aren't to everyones taste but I enjoy coming to this site because I'm a fan of the entire SWs universe, not in trying to argue my view as the only one that matters!

FRAGWAGON likes this.