main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS New info regarding Midiclorian debate: GL initially felt that anyone could learn the Force

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by grimlockbedi, May 25, 2013.

1. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    If George Lucas had the power he had in the PT in the OT, Star Wars wouldn't have made it past the first film.

3. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I don't believe that for a single second.

4. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    I have it (The Making of Star Wars) - I just looked it up (page 353 for anyone who has it also). Here we go...

GL circa 1977 (it doesn't give an exact date for each quote in this section, of which there are many):
    There is more to this quote but that's the pertinent stuff in terms of midiclorians.

So on the one hand we do see right here that GL had the idea (and the term) in mind way back when - but, on the other hand, it seems that he is referring to types of creatures, rather than individuals.

Fascinating!

5. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
    I'm trying to figure out why I missed that book on store shelves. I have been in bookstores every weekend for a decade.

6. grimlockbedi

grimlockbedi Jedi Master star 2

Sep 16, 2006
    It's awesome. If you can get it, you should.

7. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I think what the PT needed more than anything else was Kasdan's influence. That is one of the things that gives me hope about the ST.

8. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I wonder if he's thinking of Yoda's species.

9. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013

Probably that was part of it

TOSCHESTATION likes this.
  10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    I still believe that anyone can use the Force. It's just easier for some.

- The Force is strong in my family.
    - It's a Jedi trait.

/LM

11. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Well... Now we know it did. Otherwise, Yoda would've remained the Jedi equivalent of the Dalai Llama, just spouting off wisdom and not actually fighting himself.

12. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

I think George had thoughts along this line too. Kasdan was brought in on the Story Treatments before they where done and long before the sale to Disney. And he's still in on Episode VII as well as doing his own script.

13. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    All life forms are connected to the Force but those that have a strong connection can feel It better.

Your mindset has a lot to do with everything. If you want something bad enough you will work for it. You are only as limited as you make yourself.

The skeletal structure of my hips are messed up to the point that learning to crawl and walk would bring tears to my eyes. But I wanted to walk so I pushed through the pain.

Luke had the power/ability to lift the X-Wing out of the puddle but he had limited himself. Logic and others had "programmed" Luke to only believe that he could move things with the Force that he would be able to move with his own strength.

And for the record the Clones could only be taught the first lesson that Jedi Younglings learn. Maybe the first two. Those were calming technics.

But anyone can learn how to meditate and benefit from it.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

14. LunarMoth

LunarMoth Jedi Master star 4

Nov 27, 2012
    Kasdan's influence would have been great, but I don't think the problems with the PT were really bad writing per se, but rather a bit of recklessness with what was already in place. If certain points in the PT had been handled in a more mindful way, the story would have transitioned into the OT much better.

15. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I think the "anybody" COULD use the force is the same as everybody having midi-chlorians in their blood. But different concentrations means different/easier abilities. The one with higher counts (Anakin, Yoda, Sideous, etc) used it naturally without training, and then afterwards, training was fairly easy. Others may have to work at it much more, and still other would never be able to access it's full power because of the low connectivity.

I read somewhere a midi-chlorian count for major SW players, and it show Grievous having the same count as Kit Fisto. Which would explain why he's one of the few people who can take down a Jedi in combat, even without proper Force training.

Arawn_Fenn and VadersLaMent like this.
  16. Lady_Misty

Lady_Misty Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    Grievous as powerful as Kit Fisto? Maybe before chop, chop, chop. Now he most likely kills so many Jedi because they underestimated him or he cheated. Most likely both.

According to the comics Aurra Sing had been taken by the Jedi and they started to train her. However by the time she was kidnapped she hadn't mastered the basic exercises. I guess that she was similar to Scout in the fact that they both struggled to wield the Force.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

"The Starman and Moon Goddess."

17. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    Exactly. The movies make it clear that the Force is present in all living beings and that midi-chlorians (which are also present in all living beings) are just a link between the being and the Force. The higher amount of midi-chlorians you have, the stronger and easier your connection/use is.

There is no contradiction whatsoever.

Dasan, Valairy Scot, SlashMan and 3 others like this.
  18. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Ugh. I tend to reject this notion, but I don't know where "official" sources stand on it. Right before ROTS came out my brother read in an obscure periodical ( not SW-related ) that Grievous had ( or would have had ) Force-ability equivalent to a padawan or something. Such a thing wasn't borne out in the film IMO. We never see Grievous use the Force.

19. Sitara

Sitara Jedi Grand Master star 3

Oct 8, 2001
    I dislike the notion that only certain ppl are born with the ability to touch the Force. At the same time, I don't want just anyone to be able to weild the Force.

The best would be, as one could have implied in the OT, that anyone had the potential to wield the Force, but only a bare bare minimum 0.00000000000000001% of the galaxy sentinents had the mental fortitude and strength of will to do so, as well as the patience to learn and train for years.

20. Samnz

Samnz Jedi Grand Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Well, I don't think there's a "contradiction".
    Everyone can play soccer. Everyone can use the Force. Just some can do it better than others. That's called "talent", it's "given", genetically (in terms of the Force: "higher concetration of midi-chlorians")
    Talent can be balanced by effort und training to some extent, but it can't do wonders.
    Surely Han could use the Force, but he would suck hard compared to Luke or Anakin.

So suddenly the PT "needed" someone who wanted Yoda to fight all along? I don't think that finds much love in OOT-only land ..... ;)

21. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    anyone can use the Force , but some are stronger with it than others and this can be passed on genetically too .

22. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    I'm pretty sure that was just something Supershadow made up: http://www.supershadow.com/starwars/midi.html

In any case, I agree with VLM that someone like Han Solo could never be a Jedi, but I see that as a combination of mindset and inherent ability. Han believes the Force is a bunch of hocus pocus, so of course he'll never be able to access it - he's psychologically turned himself off from the possibility. But it also seems clear that some people must have more natural aptitude for tapping into the Force than others, since even in ANH we see that Luke is able, in his artless and untrained way, to use it well. The yogi analogy is there to explain the difference between someone like Luke and someone like Yoda: they both have inherent ability, but Yoda has also spent many years honing his skills, so by the time of RotJ he's like one of those Tibetan monks who can dry towels on their backs solely through meditation.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Goooooooooood...

24. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    While interesting, this is nothing more than pre-production brainstorming. An interesting look at how the movies came to be, but really nothing more than that.

25. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    So what I'm getting out of this is that a "The Dummy's Guide to Using the Force" should be syndicated and released in the GFFA.

Sweet, I'm going to make a mint on this.