main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are PT fans favored over OT fans?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garrett Atkins, May 25, 2013.

1. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Of course he took the money. That doesn't mean anything at all. We're going to get a lesson in just how important the EU is to Lucas's story, when these sequels based on his treatments steamrolls an entire section of it.

Not only an entire section, but the era that really helped put the EU as a concept on the map. It's all going to go up in the fire that is the new set of movies

2. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    That wasn't my point at all. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of saying the EU is not part of my Star Wars...but I want all the money from the sales.

I have been championing the idea of a reboot for years. I dislike probably 75% of the EU. Those treatments can steamroll away for all I care.

3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I am rather certain that we have an astronomical amount of other threads already dedicated to the subjects being randomly debated in here...

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  4. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    My original question was saying are the Prequel fans favored by the mods, not the majority of people on this forum.

5. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Okay, can some mod definitely answer Garrett's question: are PT fans favored so we can close this thread?

6. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    I was looking at a previous thread that talked about how Sx3 said that the Prequel Trilogy forums are for PT fans only to "discuss" why they love them so much. I decided to make this thread because apparently, it is OK for PT fans to say whatever they want without getting edited (see Anakin_Darth post number 103 in rlm that was edited after I mentioned it in this thread), while OT fans would have their posts edited immediately, and they would get a ban.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  7. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    The answer is no.

8. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Based on?

9. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Based on the hope that the thread will be closed when an answer is given.

10. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    And will the answer, whatever it is, be accepted by all the thread participants?

Perhaps the solution is ONE thread in the PT forums devoted to those who wish to DISCUSS, not gush, not bash, the PT and all other threads are open territory.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Jedi_Lover like this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    One person's criticism, i.e. discussion, is another person's bashing though. Unless you're referring to a thread in which people can, as Garrett Atkins said, discuss how much they love the prequels. What happened to all the fan clubs in SWC anyway? I once referred someone to the Ahsoka one, suggesting that he request that a moderator unlock it.

As far as your first question..."all" thread participants? No, probably not.

If the answer is, "Yes, PT fans are favored, 'positive' posters are favored"--some will appreciate the honesty and move along. Some will complain that it's hardly a fair policy.

If the answer is, "No, PT fans are not favored," some will consider the discussion closed as a moderator has spoken, and some will ask, "Well what about what happened in Thread X then?"

But I still think a straight answer and a locked thread is a good move. That's just me.

I am guessing, based on some of the discussion in the previous thread and this one, that moderators of individual forums can do what they want to maintain a particular "atmosphere" in the forum they moderate, and if that means coming down more harshly in the PT forum on people who dislike the PT, etc., it's acceptable.

But again that's what I've derived from discussion and I could be totally off-base.

12. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Of course you're correct in that we have no standard definition of "discussion, bashing, or gushing." (I would posit, however, that a simple "PT sucks" is not a discussion, just as a "The OT purists are stuck on nostalgia" is as well: neither advances the give and take that "discussion" implies.)

The solution is - as I've noticed many of the mods do - note that a post is edited NOT FOR THE VIEWPOINT EXPRESSED, but for "bashing" another poster or said poster's mental capacity. If that means more editing for PT fans, or PT haters, so be it.

13. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    What happened to all the fan clubs in SWC anyway?
    -------------

I've my own theory on why SWC fanclubs don't do well, (I'm interested in anything to do with SWC as it's my forum home) but I suppose this isn't the place for that.

But since this thread is similar to the one locked two things are pretty obvious to me

1. This particular OT vs PT issue isn't going away any time soon.

2. And quite honestly people need to grow thicker skin. If people aren't flaming you, calling your momma fat or some other trollish behaviour, ask yourself, is someones opinion on a film really that bothersome to you? even if they do nothing but trash talk it, it really doesn't matter does it? if it does, debate back with them starting with "I think you're wrong on this point because..." that is how a constructive conversation starts. If the person isn't interested in engaging in a disscussion, don't respond, trust your mods that if they see a troll, the troll will be sent on a vacation to under a bridge for a few days.

14. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    With all respect, saying PT fans should have to form a "fan club" to discuss the PT without having others blow in just to post negative comments about our mentality and tastes blows my mind. When I discuss, I want to discuss what I think such and such meant, how I interpreted it, why did *you* interpret it differently, what rankled you, what did you like, what would you modify..?

A fan club, to me, is to express admiration for the club's focus. As a PT fan, I don't want to be limited to "The PT is great; ROTS is my favorite PT film, yours?"

Jarren_Lee-Saber and Alexrd like this.
  15. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    I've found that they can be very successful, depending on the audience. For instance in the EUC we have a Mandalorian/Republic Commando Fan Club for those who enjoyed the Karen Traviss additions to the Star Wars Universe. Karen is loved by many, and hated by many - And on a fourm like the Lit forum it was kinda difficult to simply talk about enjoying the stories because of the dislike many have for her books(and of course her OOU comments).

So we adopted the nearly defunct Mandalorian Club in the EUC in 2007 when it was at 25 pages or so. Now some 6 years and 175 plus pages or so later it is going strong as a place where KT fans can discuss the novels they enjoy without having to worry about those who don't like those books/author chiming in. It gives the fans a home to discuss there love of those characters and stories, while not incroaching on the two sided discussions from Literature.

This does tie into this discussion as lot of Karen Traviss fans were no doubt feeling the exact same way current fans are feeling about the constant critcism of whatever they may enjoy. Instead of trying to reivent the wheel and force people with less than kind opinions of KT's work to play nice, we took the initiative and made our own place where we could discuss our like of those stories in relative peace.

The SWC should be able to work the exact same way if people are really worn out with the critcisms from the film forums. Make your own fan club there, leave the actual movie forums for the more serious debate. Everyone wins.

Honestly though, what would be wrong with this? In a dedicated forum, like the SWC, where people could have the type of discussion they enjoy? Anyone who doesn't like that type of discussion would be more than welcome to keep on posting in the movie forums unchanged.

There would be no reason for you to take part if you didn't want to and everything else would be the status quo. Why would this be a bad idea? TF.N has entire forums with hundreds of topics where one can openly post their critcism - why can't there be one place where fans that don't enjoy that can go?

16. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    <throws in the towel> :(;)

Fine. The PT forum is open for continuous "bashing" and such should not be moderated. PT fans who object to constant bashing need to leave the movie forum and form a fanclub.

<semi-serious sarcastic joking>

17. Robimus

Robimus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 6, 2007
    Thats not what I'm saying. I never left Lit, or stopped discussing Karen Traviss in Lit because I had somewhere else to post. Nobody needs to leave, but it would give an option to people who maybe aren't as interested in hearing repetitive arguements about why something sucks.

I'm saying I can relate, thats all.

18. Emperor Von Schweetz

Emperor Von Schweetz Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 12, 2012
  19. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    What about those who are fans of both trilogies (like myself)? Are they being favored over themselves? *sigh*

20. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    This is why I always thought Lucas should have filmed the PT as a true Prequel Trilogy and not touch the OT in terms of trying to add in new scenes to jive with the PT. I enjoy all 6 films, but I watch them as 2 trilogies because they are essentially so different in every way (characters, story, effects, etc.) And when the ST comes out, I will watch the Saga as 3 seperate trilogies, and that seems to work best for me.

If Lucas would have wrote the PT, and the movies were essentially to be watched 4-6, 1-3, and he didn't touch the OT, I don't think we would have as much strife between fans on internet boards. Because you could essentially take the PT or leave it if you were an OT fan, so why keep complaining about the PT? But, the problem now is the movies are married to each other, as the OOT has never gotten a quality release on DVD/BluRay, so you have fans that are forced to watch PT tie-ins if they want to watch a quality release of the OT, so naturally they are going to complain about it if they don't like it.

I understand both sides, because fans of the PT and Saga don't want to keep hearing negative things about the movies they love, but OOT fans were the ones who made SW what it is are just as frustrated because they can't watch the versions they love and see PT characters in the OT now, and I think they take it out on the PT fans.

21. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Favored...? It makes me hate myself.

22. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

That's your problem. I love myself for being a fan of both trilogies. :p

Jarren_Lee-Saber and GGrievous like this.
  23. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    The SWC should be able to work the exact same way
    ---------

in my experiance only 10 percent of the board population knows that SWC exists, that is why I don't think it gets a lot of traffic, many disscussions could take place there, but many threads are lucky to get a page, including fan clubs. I fear many people take a glance at it and see the ABC game and think "how childish, back to disscussing Zahn then in lit"

that's my shameful plug for SWC over,

now back to the topic at hand again:
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Valairy Scott Said:
    I want to discuss what I think such and such meant, how I interpreted it, why did *you* interpret it differently, what rankled you, what did you like, what would you modify..?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

so do I, that's why I post there, the problem is that when someone posts something they don't like about say AOTC, some take this as a personal slight against them as if they came in your house on Christmas day and peed on a puppy. Now I understand many log into TFN to disscss the things they love, whether it be the films, books, computer games (or even to to disscuss NFL *shrugs*) and I also understand that hearing negative comments all the time can make people despair and even have you wondering what is the point in even posting or reading threads anymore. The fact is though it's the nature of the internet, everybody nowadays is a film critic, many even look for the slighest flaws in movies thinking they're Angry Joe or Nostalgia critic. However this cannot be moderated, it's someones opinion, some negative comments are warrented others are not, but mods are here to edit, delete things against TOS, not someones personal opinion, which is why Fan Clubs are the safest option, if you're sick of hearing negativity

(please not the yours and you're in this post is not directed at any one person)

24. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    Star Wars fan. Acceptance. Does. Not. Compute.
    [​IMG]

Jarren_Lee-Saber, GGrievous and eht13 like this.
  25. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    I don't disagree with the "thicker skin" nor do I disagree that some take criticism as a personal slight but - . There's a huge difference between criticism/honest dislike and the nearly pathological evangical fervour of proclaiming the "other" and its fan as mindless and tasteless.

And as I said, when it's blatant "bashing" I will, uh, correct the bald statement that "everyone knows" and "no one likes" that parades as absolute fact. To do otherwise is to be complicit in spreading that very inaccurate view. I respond, personally, on that basis, or when the criticism turns personal on the poster.

Anyway - back to the topic -

I see above that it was noted there was an "editing problem" or something relating to a PT fan's post being edited. This may have contributed to the OP's comment that "his side" is edited promptly and the "other" isn't. Would the mods clarify for the OT/others that there was an issue and any attacks on any poster is what is being edited, not the viewpoints expressed?

While we're on it - is it a personal attack to repeatedly state things like, "GL is a hack," GL takes credit for others' ideas," or "GL only made the PT to rake in the dollars" - or is that expressing a viewpoint, even if no citation given (i.e. are personal attacks against real folks permitted if not against other posters)?