main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are PT fans favored over OT fans?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garrett Atkins, May 25, 2013.

1. Theron Solo

Theron Solo Jedi Knight star 1

Oct 31, 2012
    All the movies were/are incredible/awesome/coolest stuff ever. Of Course the Originals were the best but the Prequels were badass too. Could they of been better? Sure, but they were still really awesome movies. I don't understand the hate for them. I wish Anakin would of been more of a badass, but I still liked the movies and still enjoy them. ROTS always hits me hard. Rough movie. So sad.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    I know right? The newbies need to comb over the old Comms posts to see how Comms drama is done.
    --------------

I shamefully admit to used to doing that for hours at a time,

where are the likes of Phillip Wise wanting the mods home addresses and mods turning their colors "black" in protest?
    what ever happened to LMM and his mod powers that some say he abused?
    has Chyren got peoples backs up recently with his no nonsense way of putting things?

and my absolute favourite, the April Fools joke that went terribly wrong: Lucasfilm employees came into 3SA (I personally remember that night, it was hilarious LFL Dave was a hoot) and mods went along with how insane it is that Lucasfilm was doing such a thing, to the point a few mods *cough* darth Sinister *cough* said the F word in comms, with only an edit as punishment. Other mods enjoyed a fake flame war with each other, and poor Strilo was busy editing everyone.

just to be on topic again:

No one is saying it is ok to insult PT fans, OT fans, Neutral fans, I'm sure if someone did, they'd be edited and banned in a heartbeat (dependent on the mod of course for the latter)

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I haven't done that in a while. Some of those wall of text posts I would see reading over those past dramas are probably truncated now though.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    Yeah, let's not go back to Comms drama, kthx.

So, bottom line here - perception of PT users being given a pass when OT users aren't. I would say if you have a specific instance where you feel a mod didn't address a situation/post/etc. in an equitable manner, PM the mod.

5. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    Once the ST starts heating up (internet rumors, trailers, interviews) I believe the PT vs OT debate will end because the majority of people frequenting SW boards are going to wondering about Episode 7. This will be the last time in the next 10 years that we won't be discussing something about the ST (rumors, trailers, the eventual movies, blurays, and future box sets).

6. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Boards.the force.net is the destination for star wars fans, not because they are the best, but because they are the biggest. :( it's sickening.

7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011

I don't consider that a bad thing at all; I like having one place that draws Star Wars fans from all over the world.

But it does mean that people should not be marginalized for not liking every single aspect of the universe. It's a big franchise with a lot of material; we should also not get offended when another poster says that something we like "sucks".

Jarren_Lee-Saber and eht13 like this.
  8. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah, it's awesome that the only real choice is mediocre and hostile.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  9. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    If you don't like it hear - leave! Please! I know you wanted to find a place where you could bash the PT, & insult people who like it, to your hearts content, but on this board we are more tolerant. And since its the biggest SW forum around, you're gonna get all kinds of people.
    I think the place you're looking for is the RLM comment section on youtube.

SlashMan likes this.
  10. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm not going to speak for KilroyMcFadden but based on what I've seen of his posts, I don't think he is looking for a place to bash people who like the PT.

Bashing the PT itself, OTOH, is as valid an opinion as gushing over it, even here. Especially here, since we do draw such a large group of fans.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  11. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    The only people who truly know if OT fans are being edited or banned unfairly are the moderators. It is impossible for the general public to gauge their fairness because we don't know the whole picture. A person may have been warned repeatedly in one forum to tone down the hostility and then finally they are banned in another forum when they didn't heed the warning. To us, all we see is a person being banned for something they should only have gotten a warning for, but in fact they received numerous cautions in another thread or forum.

12. Sistros

Sistros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 24, 2010
    you are quite right.

I think though the situation here is based on peoples opinions on a franchise over something like baiting, flaming other users.

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I don't think the issue is just being upset that someone knocked the PT or OT, debate is fine and that is why many join in discussion so they can have a lively debate about things.

What is a problem is when some people with insecurities decide that because someone dared voice a different opinion to them they must use condescending posts when addressing such people and essentially insult them as if they were some barn-living inbred with the IQ of a raisin.
    I get that you can't read voice tone online to tell if someone is really being serious, but just outright being rude and insulting to a person or persons in general really shouldn't be so readily overlooked.

And it's not just a PT or OT forums issue, I've seen it across the boards over a number of years. I don't know if it's because it's not direct flaming or using banned words and therefore gets missed or overlooked by mods as nothing more than heated debate, but there are some pretty obvious digs at people that I've seen that seemingly go unnoticed.

As for being treated unfairly, I can't say I post that much these days in the movie forums but I've not seen anything that would suggest mod bias over a certain set of fans be they PT or OT. Letting insults slide is a different thing to being biased.

14. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    Your post is the polar opposite of tolerance.

15. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    I post on Sports and Political Message Boards, and the insults are par for the course on the internet. The problem is everyone is behind a computer when they are typing a response so there is no human contract which leads to people being uncivil. I guaranteed if people on the internet were forced to argue face to face, it would be alot more civil, but its easy to flame someone you don't know nor will never meet.

16. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    The internet has empowered reclusive nerds & other socially awkward insecure types in such a way, now it seems some of those who perhaps were bullied in life turn to it online so they can feel better and where no-one can get them back.

This is exactly why I go to events like Celebration, I hope if I meet fans in person they may turn out better than they often make themselves appear when they post.
    The saddest thing is that I think 90% of people who do post here are smart people who know a lot about the subjects which they discuss. Unfortunately then some of them then post in a way that makes them look like condescending jerks, which undermines the whole thing of them being knowledgeable about the subject matter.

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Because calling us "sickening" and "mediocre and hostile" is a bright shining light of tolerance right?

18. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    Neither post is a great example of tolerance. Which is the point.

Jarren_Lee-Saber and eht13 like this.
  19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    "He did it first!" is an argument I heard from a few people under the age of 10 just today (and I shut those down pretty quickly for the reason that I mention in my next paragraph), but it doesn't work very well when you're trying to argue your point that anyone who dislikes some aspect of the franchise should "just leave"--or that telling people to "just leave" constitutes tolerance.

We all learned in school that feeling attacked/provoked/etc. is not an acceptable reason to retaliate, right? And from my understanding most of the mods here promote that stance as well.

Also, I'm pretty sure that KilroyMcFadden was referring to the films themselves as "mediocre," not the posters here, although he can correct me if I'm wrong. As far as "hostile"...yeah, telling people to GTFO (or the more politically correct "just leave") absolutely is hostile. And I haven't seen the word "sickening" used in reference to a person in this thread yet.

20. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    People on both sides of this issue need to relax and play nice. That includes not attacking each other and not telling each other to leave. I don't think "mediocre" or "hostile" or "sickening" were meant to describe individual users here... my take on it was that was how he felt about the site as a whole (which is unfortunate, sorry he feels that way).

21. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I am sickened by the fact that non-saga Star Wars fans have to endure this level of hostility if they want to participate in Star Wars discussions. This website is mediocre because it isn't policed strictly enough. Conversations can't expand without a couple of key personalities blundering through to suggest that everyone who doesn't like their particular brand of fandom should get out of "hear". This website is the only realistic destination for Star Wars, but it prominently features multiple instances of unchecked bullying aimed at people who are not saga fans, but still have the gall to like Star Wars. I find myself saying f this place three times a week, and I'm probably not alone, yet where else is there to go?

22. Son of a Bith

Son of a Bith Jedi Master star 4

Feb 28, 2013
    But.. but... this is the internet! ;-)

23. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I think that there is some truth to this.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  24. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    My day in pictures...
    [​IMG]

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  25. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Sure, that's the attitude that will fix this place. A mod, ladies and gentlemen.