main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are PT fans favored over OT fans?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garrett Atkins, May 25, 2013.

1. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I'm sorry for the levity. I am, in reality, drinking and weeping over all of this.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  2. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    You are mocking now. Making someone with a history of being hostile a moderator was such a lovely idea. Watch me be edit/banned for this.

Captain Tom Coughlin likes this.
  3. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Quit with the drama. This thread is nothing to be martyred for.

4. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    Sure.

5. Placeholder

Placeholder Jedi Master star 4

Jan 30, 2013
    I got banned for my EU thread. You're point here is justified

6. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    I am not remotely interested in banning anyone for voicing an honest opinion in civility. Sincerely, I was trying to lighten up the thread and I honestly meant that gif to be something you would relate to... not take as a slight. I'm sorry if I've ever come off as a power tripping Mod to both of you in the days since I became a Mod...

7. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013
    I don't believe that you are a power tripping type. My post was more about the general nature of this board. His fear of banning is justified on this board.

8. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    Well let's have a nice little view of Mr KiljoyMcFadden's first day on The Jedi Council Forums, and we'll see what he enjoys doing here:

1st post ever:
    Second post ever:
    Other posts from Day 1
    And it only got worse from then on.
    And he wonders why Saga fans & PT fans think he just may be a hater....

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

Aug 19, 2003
    As exhausting as it may be to you and others to hear it in constant repetition, it is his opinion.

10. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    This is true, but isn't one of the things discussed here is the difference between stating an opinion as an opinion, and stating a opinion as a indisputable fact?

Valairy Scot likes this.
  11. Placeholder

Jan 30, 2013

Being a hater is as valid as being a lover.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  12. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    I don't think you are a power tripping mod.

13. KilroyMcFadden

Oct 31, 2012
    What do I have to do, change my sig to "hater" with one of those ASCII arrows pointing back at my avatar?

14. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Hahahahaha! yes, that'll work - to warn the uninitiated :p

15. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
    I didn't remotely see anything offensive in what KilroyMcFadden said in those posts. He gave his opinion of the PT without insulting any fans or members of these boards. It is obvious that he hates the PT but I don't see that hate directed at its fans.

We should assume everything written on these boards are people's opinions...IMHO. Now, if those posts were written in the 'We Love the PT Fan club' it would be inappropriate.

16. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    You haven't been her long enough to know what needs to be fixed at this site. This is a place for people to come to and goof off in their free time. I doesn't need to be "policed."

17. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Who are you referring to?

18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    No. The title of the thread is "Are PT fans favored over OT fans?" That's what is being discussed, and I think you've made a good Exhibit A here by suggesting that KilroyMcFadden needs to be called out in Comms for having a negative opinion of the PT--suggesting that instead of being entitled to his opinion, he deserves to be called names for it and/or moderated.

Stating an opinion as fact is annoying as hell but not something the moderators need to step in for, nor is it the issue being discussed here.

Darth_Pevra likes this.
  19. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    KilroyMcFadden makes an interesting point also in that this is now the largest site for SW fans to discuss the franchise with other fans. With the announcement of Episode VII and other movies to be a regular feature over the next few years, this site is likely to gain a lot of new members. What we want is to be welcoming to new members and show that we can engage in proper discussion with them about what they love which is why they came here. Not belittle them with the "noobs" tag and decide that they should be talked down to because their opinion is less valid.

I would like to see new members flow in, if not just to see FanForce come back to life again. But if we just want this site to be full of older veteran posters who want to hang about and then be hostile towards anyone who comes in to their yard and tries to engage with them we will simply die a slow death. And a death with a failed reputation to boot.
    When I posted on SW.com years back, everyone used to say "go to tfn man, they have much better discussion and better posters". It would be nice if this site was still regarded that way now and in the future, as opposed to others saying "don't go to tfn man, it's full of crabby old posters who don't like being disagreed with and have some clique they won't let you join" and variations of that.

Then why are Mods here? The purpose of police is to make sure people don't break the law, the purpose of Mods is to ensure no-one breaks forum rules.
    It seems as if there is general agreement that personal insults directed as users constitutes breaking the rules, so the question this thread is now raising is why does this happen so often without action being taken?

No-one is saying you can't goof off, the boards are full of jokes threads and posts. But posting cat memes is different to disrespecting someone to make yourself feel big or win an argument on the internet.

What part of the "speaking only for me" did you take as him stating his opinion was fact? Movies like all art are subjective, there is no right answer and everyone has a valid opinion on them.
    As far as I can see, he's not going around saying "You're wrong, the movie is terrible" or "Anyone who likes this movie is dumb" as I've seen posted around this site numerous times.

Thank you for putting up with this wall of text :p

20. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    I really believe we can do a better job at welcoming the new people. I have seen the 'noob' card played in multiple threads to shut a person up.

I do think there are problems that can't be solved by the moderators though. Occasionally, I have seen things posted that are not against TOS, but I still considered rude. And then I'm shocked when I see a Moderator laughing about the rude comment. Well, it turns out it was an inside joke among people who have been in the Forum a lot longer than I have. I think the new members are sometimes seeing affronts to themselves and other posters because they are interpreting things incorrectly. Not always, but sometimes. When you have people who have been hanging out in a particular forum for five or ten years it's bound to happen.

21. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005

Killroy McFadden.

22. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Indeed, there are people on first-name terms who know each other and that can make some feel out of place (I know I have in some areas here). Plus some have a sense of humour that can seem offensive, especially when you can't interpret tone easily on the internet. This is why I use emoticons as much as I can, to convey whether I'm being serious or not. At the same time, more senior users should factor in that while their style of posting might work fine when directed at someone they know well it might come across differently to newer members or those not used to that style who are posting in a different part of the forums for the first time.

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is an area where I think people could try being a little less sensitive. If someone who just joined the site is getting bothered by people using first names instead of user names, I don't know what else to say other than they can try hanging around for awhile and getting to know people and eventually they'll probably be on a first-name basis with some people as well.

As far as the jokes, it is not always easy to read tone online but there is always the option of not assuming ill intent, as opposed to getting upset when someone might have just been messing around. (And I've been as guilty as anyone of assuming ill intent where there was none.)

Jedi_Lover and eht13 like this.
  24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    It is slightly difficult to tell if someone is being serious or sarcastic on the internet. Emoticons help a little bit.

25. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I want to kill you. :)