main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Are PT fans favored over OT fans?

Discussion in 'Communications' started by Garrett Atkins, May 25, 2013.

1. Rachel_In_Red

Rachel_In_Red Jedi Master star 3

May 12, 2013
    Don't worry. I am in the process of perfecting a torture device for people with PT > OT opinions.

Carbon1985 likes this.
  2. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Back to the point, I don't recall EVER seeing any poster state "so and so {you} are wrong for liking the OT." And if that is ever said, it should be called to account for directing a post at a poster. SAME for OT fans stating PT fans are lacking in taste (and I HAVE seen that implied quite a few times).

I don't think folks should be banned - and probably at worst cautioned - if they post "not 'everyone' agrees with your 'everyone knows.' Hater, gusher, or anything in between.

If someone with any viewpoint repeatedly states their opinion (even if so frequently within a thread it seems like spamming), those of differing opinions are equally free to counter, (equally as frequently). Mods are free to caution both sides if this becomes excessive (drowns out all other posts, perhaps).

Mods should watch for and caution on baiting, flaming, or insulting whether it be explicit or strongly implied, but never for the content of the opinion only the expression of said opinion.

Freedom of expression is allowed free expression - but not towards real life folks (no more "GL is a hack and raped my childhood" or "the sooner GL dies, the better for Star Wars) and not towards other posters.

In short, negativity of opinions is solicited and encouraged. Those who wish to discuss (both positives and negatives but in a non-"hostile" manner) need to set up fan clubs.

3. KilroyMcFadden

KilroyMcFadden Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Are PT fans given more leeway when making personal attacks?

4. Jedi_Lover

Jedi_Lover Chosen One star 5

Nov 1, 2004
  5. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    I'm going to have to follow him around the PT and Saga threads now and inform everybody after his posts that its the exact opposite :(

Jedi_Lover likes this.
  6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    The last time I was banned, it was for calling out someone who said "George Lucus the Hutt should be strangled".
    It was in a OT forum. I was banned, had my post edited. (and the Mod didn't even have the decency to tell why I was banned or for how long, even though I requested info several times in the banned section) He was not banned, and his post is still there.

So as to the original question - NO they are NOT. Its the other way around!!

Visivious Drakarn likes this.
  7. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, no.

8. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Jarren_Lee-Saber. This is pure curiosity on my part, but how exactly did you call out that person who said such a disrespectful comment about Mr. Lucas?

9. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    I'm just going to take this opportunity to say that I liked ROTS, minus the Padme scenes, but TPM and AOTC were both truly awful, in my opinion.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  10. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

No.

GGrievous and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  11. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Questioned the validity of the opinions & mental stability of someone who advocates the murder of a human over a film he didn't like.
    And yes, it was directly insulting to the person, and it deserved a delete of the comment and even a short ban (wasn't short BTW). But the fact that the other person didn't get so much as a mod edit is where I have the big issue.
    I mean, he just said we should MURDER a HUMAN over a MOVIE!!!

12. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Okay, that makes a little more sense. At first I thought you got banned for saying something like:

;)
    I do believe the other person's comment should have been edited and a warning given. You are right about that.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I'm surprised that comment wasn't edited unless it was several years ago when celeb-bashing was allowed here.

But I'm not sure of the point of your response either. And I have seen many, many unedited posts "questioning the validity of the opinions" of so-called "negative" posters, as well as questioning their motives if not their mental state, and ordering them to leave the site, with no edits or bans.

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    That comment quoted above was pretty darn recent - I read it and was appalled/not surprised at all - to see the comment phrased as it was. Quite frankly, although one can surely assume on a SW board such comments are in exaggerated jest, they are still way out of line and the advocacy of death to real life people - in jest or not - should be IMHO edited. I have seen numerous insults directed at GL that pass without comment/edit/ban although it has been stated above in this thread that such comments should not be directed at other posters or real life people.

15. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    That's a bit of a stretch, don't you think?
    I can understand you being upset and all, even if by your own admission you flamed the other user and deserved to be edited. But if you don't mind me asking, why didn't you contact the mod who edited you (or even a different mod) via PM to inquire about what happened?

16. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Since this issue was brought up here in public by the user, I'm just going to quote the entire post here so that we're all on the same page. I can definitely see how you might object to the abbreviated version of the post mentioned by Jarren. I have a slightly different opinion of this post, though - I don't actually believe this person is advocating the death of George Lucas because of the PT, but your mileage may vary...
    So you might see how that post was left untouched while Jarren's response, which was self-described as "directly insulting to the person, and it deserved a delete of the comment and even a short ban" was edited.

My point here is that while many of you might get the impression that mods favor one group of fans over the other based on incidents like this, mods for the most part are just taking action against those who cross the line and break the forum rules. There is absolutely no bias in this particular case. One user posted their opinion and actually phrased it in such a way to not offend anyone, but it obviously still ruffled someone's feathers.

And again, if you do ever feel like you're being singled out or feel like a mod didn't handle something the right way, there's nothing preventing you from contacting that mod privately, contacting a different mod to discuss the incident, or if all else fails, contacting an admin. Posting your personal disdain for the boards and throwing around generalizations doesn't really help much. ;)

17. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    cause the way the system works, when you're banned - you are just banned an its all blank. All you can do is ask who & why in the banned forum. I got replies from other mod's who told me that the mod who did it would have to explain, but the one who banned me never said anything. And by the time my ban was over I had ZERO intention of making a fuss and risking another ban so I just left it at that.

18. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    You will never be banned for simply asking for an explanation about why you were banned. Moderators are obligated to give you an official reason. If they fail to do that, that's a failure on our part and it should be addressed by the banning mod via PM, or by an admin if you cannot get an answer from them.

19. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    I see a lot more PT hate here than OT hate.

20. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Its not a huge problem. The ban was over, I accepted it, and I moved on.
    I would never have even brought this up if this thread didn't exist.

21. Garrett Atkins

Garrett Atkins Jedi Knight star 4

Feb 11, 2013
    Yeah, but that's not the question.

22. Asajj_Kenobi

Asajj_Kenobi Jedi Master star 1

Oct 4, 2004
    True, but that could be part of the answer. If you have more OT fans bashing the PT than PT fans bashing the OT then it comes down to statistics.

If you have 100 OT loving PT bashers to every 10 PT loving OT bashers then one could expect to see a higher percentage of OT fans being banned. To the casual observer it may look like the PT fans are favored, when statistically that may not be the case.

And I am not saying this is a fact. I am just saying if there are more OT fans bashing then it would make sense they would be censured more often and then it might look like the PT fans are favored. This is just a wild guess...complete conjecture on my part and in no way should be perceived as fact.

There is no way to answer your question since there are so many factors involved.

23. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Posters won't be and shouldn't be censored for bashing the PT or OT, if they really dislike it they are allowed to voice their opinions (I personally prefer it if they gave a more rounded argument than just "it sucks", but that's just me).

The issue is of posters directly insulting each other (in this case due to like or dislike of the PT or OT), not of them bashing a particular set of movies. You can bash anything all you want, so long as you are civil to other people while you are doing it.

24. Jedi_Lover

Nov 1, 2004
    Is this a new policy? Because a friend of mine was edited, warned by a mod and threatened with a ban about six years ago for saying disparaging remarks about the EU character Callista Ming. There was no bashing of Callista fans, but the moderator said bashing the character could be seen as an insult to her fans and that could be considered baiting.

25. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    That could have been a thread or forum specific incident. Some discussions are not open to being derailed with debates about topics that have little to do with the particular thread. We are constantly fighting to keep EU discussion confined to the EU thread in Episode VII.