main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation What role will Han Solo play in the ST?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by StarWars2015, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Slash78

Slash78 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 30, 2004

That's because Droma was a horribly written character.

2. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007

I merged your older thread with a new Han Solo thread that was started yesterday. I made the title given to the new thread yesterday become the title of the merged thread. But please slow down on new thread creation and take a look at what is already existing first.

Take it easy.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Indeed. The Solo Command EU novel by Aaron Allston puts Han in charge of a fleet hunting an ex-Imperial warlord- and it's a very enjoyable read, since the author puts a lot of humour and snarking into his writing.

Revanfan1 likes this.
  4. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    Solo Command is one of my all-time favorite EU books; a lot of that due to Han's role.

5. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Having him be a spy is an interesting concept. I don't think he would have the same kind of fame like an actor or music star would have, so he might be able to pull it off. A lot of people nowadays have no clue who half of the RL political/war heroes are so as it is, I'm sure the same could be said of a galaxy-spanning civilization such as the SW universe. Then again, it's still a risk.

I still stick by what I said earlier in the thread - have him be retired military and currently earning an honest living by running a shipping company or something along those lines. When the events of Episode VII start to unfold, he is then thrust back into the action.

Hitchhiking-Ghost likes this.
  6. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    I can see this. And when that happens, do we want to see his arrival "back in action" via a shot of the Falcon hurtling towards the camera with a sun behind it, like in ANH when he comes back to assist Luke during the DS attack? It could be cheesy, but it could be very cool too. :p

7. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    This discussion is entirely based on the belief that Han Solo will be a major character in the ST when we don't know if that's the case. If precedent is any indicator, he won't be; he can't be. The most likely function the Big Three can serve in the ST is as secondary characters serving transitional roles while the next generation of characters steps to the fore, and even then, the only one of the three who would be absolutely necessary would be Luke; Han and Leia are entirely optional. I can accept that the writers could choose to break with the pattern and give all of the Big Three larger roles than, say, Obi-Wan had in the OT when set against his more prominent role in the PT; I just haven't seen any evidence either way. None of us has. To build up so much excitement in one's own mind over something that isn't at all a sure thing is a perfect recipe for disappointment.

8. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
    All of this is true, but him being in a supporting role does not really limit any options for his occupation. He can easily have 10 minutes of screen time and still be a general, admiral, intelligence chief, cook, blacksmith...whatever.
    I see this speculation as more of a "what's his job gonna be" than that "will he be on screen all the time."

9. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Our 2013 Sound Judgment Award recipient is...

JainaSoloYJK and WatTamborWoo like this.
  10. EHT

Sep 13, 2007
    True, but honorary awards can be given out for "recognizing that this is all just fun to talk about". :p

11. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    You should check out our "Should Luke be married..." thread while you still have time to edit in a proper antonym for "fun"...

12. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    I think my two preferred possibilities for Han in the ST are:

1. Still doing the occasional, even if small, job that's dangerous and makes Leia mad who just wants to raise a family.

2. Retired but still misses the action, adventure and excitement from the Rebellion.

I could also see him working with Lando in some type of business venture idea that gets blown to **** when the new crisis begins.

13. EHT

Sep 13, 2007

The "fun" quotient in that thread is significantly lower than most of these threads, though. ;)

14. StarWars2015

StarWars2015 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 5, 2012

15. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    You say that Iike I should give a damn about what you think.....???? (This is curious indeed)

16. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    and whats more curious is this term Nobel Laureate..........is that some type of French TV Dinner....??

17. The Hellhammer

The Hellhammer Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 4, 2012
  18. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Nobody around here should give a damn about what anybody else thinks really. Unless we're all trying to win free Internetz because "Oh damn, I made somebody CARE!"

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  19. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    Ok.....back to the discussion at hand.........

First lets review...........in this Thread, we have learned.....

1.) That Han should have a major role in Episode 7.

2.) That his role should be centered on returning to his smuggler days, to his old ways Prehaps to save his Children or to Save the Galaxy itself. A Double Agent, or Spy type of Role would indeed be suffient.

3.) Also We have settled the Question of the Falcon, IT BELONGS TO SOLO and None OTHER !!!

20. Darth Archimage

Darth Archimage Jedi Master star 3

May 28, 2013
    I would lean more toward important, than "major"

21. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Solo could keep the Falcon and paint it black like he does in Jedi Eclipse.

And the movie could use the Rolling Stones song as part of its soundtrack.

The Hellhammer likes this.
  22. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    I rest my case, Your Honor. [face_laugh]

23. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Um, what? We did?

I don't think anyone realistically thinks that. Read Pfluegermeister's post for more on that. He said it perfectly.

24. StarWars2015

Dec 5, 2012
    Ok lets try this again...........

You have Harrison Ford, You have a iconic legendary character that had not been seen on the Big Screen since 1983...............

You also have Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia, played by actors who are known for only Luke Skywalker and Princess Leia ??

And you are going to have a few new players, ie new actors vying to make a name for themselves in this new Trilogy.

So put yourself in the ScreenPlay and then set for a minute in JJ Abrams Directors seat...........Who do you think you will give a major role too out of the above.

A.) Harrison Ford
    B. ) Luke and Leia due to Story sake
    C.) Selection of Unknown young Actors playing the Kids of the Big Three...........

I think the Choice is clear..........

25. Pfluegermeister

Jun 30, 2003
    What's clear is that you managed to take the word "annoying" and make it entirely your own.

I'm seriously laughing myself silly watching you walk us through your "logic" like WE'RE the idiots. [face_laugh]

Bob Octa likes this.