main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph It's A Kind Of Magic... Highlander (The Remake Thread)

Discussion in 'Community' started by dp4m, Jun 17, 2013.

1. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    So, they are remaking Highlander which, generically, I'm okay with.

Of movies out there, this would probably be a decently good shot to be improved in the modern era with a remake (except for lack of being able to capture super-gritty NYC).

I love, love, love the original film and Christopher Lambert, famously, can't see worth a damn so the swordfighting -- as good as it was -- was necessarily limited in his scenes. So given what we've seen in films (Nick Gillard -- I'm looking at you) I think this could be a good thing.

Except... Ryan Reynolds was going to be Connor MacLeod... until today! So, now we'll get a totally new slate -- no director attached, no star attached.

What are everyone's thoughts?

PS - Queen soundtrack or GTHOTB!!!

2. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    Thank God Ryan Reynolds is out. I like the guy as an actor, but he obliterates characters if not entire franchises wherever he goes.

3. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Means it's back in development hell and likely will stay that way for a few years since Hollyweird has a million Superman, Batman and Fast and Furious remakes/sequels to get to.

Edit: Queen. Definitely.

4. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I actually like him quite a bit in the right thing. But this... was not it.

Juliet316 and Saintheart like this.
  5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I'm pretty optimistic. I'm a big fan of the original, but the sequels are honestly so bad that it would take careful, concentrated effort to be worse. Even if there were somehow no Queen in the soundtrack (Which I'd view as blasphemous and possibly impossible), the bar's crazy low and the premise naturally lends itself to great action sequences.

6. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    No joke, whenever I'm in my Hong Kong hotel I look across the street at the rooftop of the mall and all of the industrial piping and large fans and think "That'd be an awesome spot for a Highlander fight!"

But, even with the sequels being bad, there are still spots of goodness in all of them and not a small amount of heart, which helps.

I also happened to love the series with Adrian Paul (at least until the last season) and have pics of me outside the "dojo" in Vancouver in Gastown (actually not a dojo)...

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  7. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Why are you in Hongkong, dp? You cruisin' for a piece of ass?

The original is such a wonderfully amazingly awesome film.

Saintheart likes this.
  8. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I did not go down to Hong Kong for a blow job... ;)

(PS - You're sick...)

And yes, it's awesome.

PPS - Great Clancy Brown or GREATEST Clancy Brown?

Saintheart likes this.
  9. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    (I'm quoting that line from Connor/"Nash" to that ******* cop in New York...)

*like the reference, but ya gotta star out the whole word.

10. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, I know -- so spaketh my followup lines!

11. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Touche.

Also, greatest Clancy Brown. He was so damned metal.

12. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    Because I cannot "like" enough. The second one was so awful that the director disowned it. The third was actually halfway decent and kinda worked if you ignored the existence of the second one.

And then they brought in Duncan...[face_sick]

13. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    In my "personal canon" that series with Duncan MacLeod is actually a prequel to the first movie, and the series finale features the Kurgan showing up and killing everybody! [face_skull]

At least that's how it goes in my head [face_mischief]

Sarge likes this.
  14. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Wasn't Highlander 3 just a retread of Highlander? Except with Mario van Peebles?

15. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Well...yeah...but it was the only one to offer a halfway plausible reason as to how there could be sequels after the Kurgan's defeat.

Plus it had Mako in it!

16. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Yes, basically a shot for shot remake almost except ended in Newark vs. the Silvercup studios.

But it did have some decent scenes in it...

17. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I HAVE SOMETHING TO SAY! IT'S BETTER TO BURN OUT THAN TO FADE AWAY!

HAPPY HALLOWEEN, LADIES!!!

18. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Honestly, not even his best line delivery.

"Hi... I'm Candy."
    "Of course you are..."

19. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

Now, add to this Clancy's Mr. Krabs laugh from SpongeBob SquarePants, and you have it all.

20. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    Never seen any of the Highlanders, but I find the general concept sufficiently interesting to look forward to a remake.

21. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    All this part is true.

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    You should at least check out the original film (preferably the Director's Cut which involves Nazi killing!) and, possibly the first three seasons of the TV series with Adrian Paul.

The original movie is also awesome because people still ask me "Was New York City really like that around Times Square?" (having now seen only the Disney-fied version) and I can honestly say "Yep."

23. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It shares a lot in common with Gregory Widen's other "urban fantasy" movie, The Prophecy. You know, the one about murdering angels and starring Christopher Walken as a terrifying angel Gabriel. Fantastic concepts, executed nicely on a low-ish budget, subsequently killed off horribly by pestilential sequels.

But, as Ender has so notably quoted, everybody gets awesome lines in Highlander. It's one of the best parts of the film:

"Yeah, uh, you want broads, uh, ****, just ... dial 0, huh?" (Clancy Brown's expression throughout that scene is glorious.)

"Hey, Moran! You seen what it says here? ... What does "in-com-pe-tent" mean? (Snigger, chuckle) Hey, Moran -- what does "baffled" mean?"

"So what you've got Brenda, is a guy who's been creeping around since at least the year 1700 -- pretending to croak every once in a while -- leaving all his goods to kids who've been corpses for years, and then assuming their identities." (Also, remember the stuff computers could do back then? Like match signatures on documents from three centuries ago? :D )

"Holy ****."
    "Yeah, this one came unassembled."

(Nasal voice) "--with warder frahm thuh sprinklers. It awlso left a meyanne's decapitayted bodee lying on the floor next to his own severed head -- a head, which at this time, has no name!" ("I KNOW HIS NAME...")

24. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    "You're not afraid of a little Boom-Boom"
    -Captain Panaka

Plus, it had the hilariously awful accents that result from a Scotsman playing an Egyptian masquerading as a Spaniard conversing with a Frenchman playing a Scotsman.

25. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    I think we should have a party.

Christ, was that actually Panaka? Damn, I didn't recognise him.

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and I'm pretty sure most of the cast from the Scotland scenes showed up again in Braveheart about 10 years later :p Angus did, he was Hamish's father in Braveheart. Dunno if DOOOGULLLL did, though. :D