main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Books CRUCIBLE by Troy Denning: The Official Discussion Thread (Spoilers Allowed)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Havac , Jun 13, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    And lives in a GFFA.

2. kataja

kataja Jedi Master star 4

May 4, 2007
    Is ""She was dressed in a white, form-fitting flight suit that made Marvid wonder if if Jedi women aged at the same rate as normal humans."" slutty? To me, it sounds lke a white jumpsuit. I know he had her dress out wildly in one of the LOTF books, but this? Then again, I didn't react on that LOTF dress either. I know female characters get sexually visualized much more than the male ones, but Leia's never been a problem with me, nor has Denning. In contrast, I roll my eyes over Ashoka or Ayla Secura.

3. _Catherine_

_Catherine_ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2007
    Yes, I was really saying that all senior citizens must be described as ugly and fat, not that certain male authors tend to oversexualize female characters for no reason. There is no other way to convey the idea that Leia is an attractive older woman than by making her wear tight clothing and having every male character drool over her super-hot bod. Denning's Star Wars books have no history of sleazy or exploitative content, they are the pinnacle of class.

I'm not even complaining, this is actually my second favorite Denningverse trope, right after Han and Leia wearing weird alien disguises because I guess they're spies or something.

Havac likes this.
  4. kataja

May 4, 2007
    What has that to do with anything?

5. AdmiralWesJanson

AdmiralWesJanson Force Ghost star 5

May 23, 2005
    I didn't get that from the line at all, I thought it was funny because it seemed like a joke about all the debates and complaints here about Mara still looking young on covers.

6. DarthUltious

DarthUltious Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2013

I still don't know what everyone is so scared about and it's making me nervous as Hell.

7. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Lol, don't be. It's just over-imaginative fans doomsaying this and that when no one really knows what the hell is gonna happen to the EU or the movie characters.

No offense, JM.

Esg likes this.
  8. DarthUltious

DarthUltious Jedi Youngling

Jun 15, 2013

Then, there are no confirmed plots or legitimate spoilers / confirmed leaks? Why do I do this to myself...?

9. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No, Darth Tony here has posted some spoilers, but he's been fairly restrained.

Come 3 July he will have no excuse!

10. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    okay so nothing is confirmed. I just have a feeling that the Star Wars I care about is going to be transformed into a kiddy friendly version

11. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Transformed? Likely. Into what? We. Don't. Know.

darklordoftech likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    More than meets the eye...

13. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    If this is it for the EU, I hope Denning does his best.

Darth Fright and darklordoftech like this.
  14. Starkeiller

Starkeiller Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 5, 2004
    As a young* man** myself, I must agree.

The sexualization of very young girls is what I find disturbing, not the exceptionally rare sexualization of older women. The fact that 65-year-old Leia can still enter a cantina and get the guys all hot and bothered is in fact very good for her. =D=

After all, she has lived a much healthier life than Carrie Fisher....

* Although there have been dissenting opinions.
    ** None yet that I know of.

kataja likes this.
  15. Jedifirefly5

Jedifirefly5 Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 5, 2012

See, that's completely opposite of how I see as much as I dislike Darth Denning. IMO he's seeing Leia through Han's eyes, Han's love and admiration. For his best friend and soulmate through every good and bad thing. Who she was and is and will be. That's actually true love.

16. Dr. Steve Brule

Dr. Steve Brule Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2012
    Unless Han's real name is Marvid, that quote is clearly not from Han's POV.

Actually, isn't that character a Columi? Why would a giant fetus even find human women attractive, anyway?

17. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Because he's being written by Troy Denning, who cannot stop writing drooling descriptions of sexy sexy Leia and her sexy sexy outfits and the sexy sex she likes to have with Han and how all the men everywhere drool over her sexy sexy ageless body.

Much like Dave Wolverton covering his SW novel with multiple cultures of sexy sexy dominatrix Amazons, the greatest objectionability comes from the feeling that you're being exposed to rather too much of the author's inner thoughts.

18. andy789

andy789 Jedi Youngling

Oct 30, 2012
    I posted for the first time on the other Crucible thread trying to get rid of some of the ridiculous assumptions some people were coming to RE the spoilers. I'll just summarise. These are absolute fact, I have read the book, I read it quite a while ago in fact. This is a pretty spoliery post so beware.

- I have truly no clue where a timeline split would come from, it's utter nonsense
    - An artifact is involved, NOT Mortis, though it is heavily talked about in the book
    - Savara = Vestara
    - Mirta Gev working with Vestara is not a case of, I like you so I'll follow you, more just Money and not actually knowing its Ves
    - Ship is honestly one of the worst things in the EU, such a get out of jail free card
    - I genuinley enjoyed it, not like I did some of NJO or earlier but it was still quite enjoyable
    - This time-bending nonsense. There is no way characters can be revived using it, at all. It is a very difficult concept to explain without people reading it, but time only changes for those that go 'inside' this artifact, and even then your never sure whats actually happening with time, it seems to be that if Inside the Artifact 1000 years passes its like a second outside, but thats just my reading of it- There are some deaths, but not major. In fact there is an exceedingly high body count in one chapter, this is definitley not kiddy friendly
    - Ben and Tahri are involved more than I expected, I can definitley see where the writers are planning to go with it

I can't really think of anything else of the top of my head. Questions welcome.

P.S sorry i still cant get the hang of the spoiler formatting

Summer Dreamer likes this.
  19. darthzac14

darthzac14 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Especially for one that has carried twins and then another child

20. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004

Yeah, except Han's not the guy who thought the comment about Leia in the flight suit and Jedi women aging differently. It was Marvid, one of the Columi. The same guy who makes googly eyes at Vestara...I mean, Savara. A teenager.

21. JediMara77

JediMara77 Force Ghost star 4

Mar 5, 2004
    Regarding @andy789's spoiler post above:

If they try to put Ben and Tahiri together so help me God I will do something very rash. I just about threw my Kindle at the wall when I saw they were working together.

_Catherine_ likes this.
  22. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Eh, i bet it'll be like Jaina and Kyp, if even that.

23. LarryG

LarryG Jedi Knight star 1

Sep 4, 2012
    I agree that Ship is a bad idea. Not only is it a "get out of jail free card" for Vestara, in the opposite way,it is also her jailer, bombarding her mind with darkness keeping her from being able to reflect on her path and making positive adjustments.

24. kataja

May 4, 2007
    I've always thought Wolverton would make an excellent graphic novel. :p But really, I don't recognize that about Denning at all. In general, SW novels are pretty sexless - but the few exceptions we've had haven't come even close to offend me. COPL swells in Amazons, yes - but Amazons are a classic ingredient in fantasy and Sci fi - and nothing really happens in the novel anyway.

25. JediMatteus

JediMatteus Jedi Grand Master star 5

Sep 16, 2008
    okay so this novel comes out when??