main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Full Series Micro-series vs. TCW

Discussion in 'Star Wars TV- Completed Shows' started by Saga_Symphony, Nov 14, 2012.

?

Which Clone Wars show do you like better?

1. Clone Wars (2003)

115 vote(s)
    35.2%
  2. The Clone Wars (2008)

212 vote(s)
    64.8%
  1. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Well that's it then.

2. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012
    Yep, if you or anyone else likes it or thinks that it isn't crap, then alright, won't argue with that.

3. Saga_Symphony

Saga_Symphony Force Ghost star 4

Oct 30, 2010
    Uh, I don't see the logic there.

4. cwustudent

cwustudent Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2011
    You said that TCW "ripped off" CW. Perhaps your definition of the term matters. If you mean TCW is a poor imitation of CW, then, well, one could counter that CW is a poor imitation of the films. If you mean TCW stole from CW, one could argue CW stole from SW (among other EU sources). I don't think that adapting the ideas of another artist is necessarily a bad thing. I certainly wouldn't call it thievery.

Lord_Stalker likes this.
  5. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012

The same way you and I disagree on LOTR, the same way you and us disagree on the old series quality... sure you might think it might have been poop, but that is your opinion. That is in the same manner you tell me that ROTK is amazing and I think it is crap.
    That does not mean any of us are more right than the other.

On the 2003 vs 2008 series, it is the same way.

Your point about it being crap is just as valid as mine for it being genius, but please do not bring the was more realistic lunicy in here. That has no real weight on matter of quality.

6. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    I don't see how it compares to CW and the films, but I was talking about the animation. CW made its own unique animation style and TCW borrowed designs from it. That was my point.

7. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I thought TCW's designs were based on Japanese anime..

I don't see very many similarities in the design between TCW and CW.

8. Saga_Symphony

Oct 30, 2010
    Dooku might disagree.

9. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

And he would say this: INDEED...

If you look at Anakin Skywalker in both new and old series. The new version is a CGI, three-dimentional version of the 2003 CW Anakin.

10. KenobiSkywalker

KenobiSkywalker Jedi Master star 4

Sep 3, 2012
    I don't really see much resemblance there. I think their intention was to make him look somewhat like Matt Lanter.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I agree. I wasn't crazy about Anakin's micro series character model, or anyone else's to tell the truth.

I liked his TCW model though, and don't see much resemblance.

KenobiSkywalker likes this.
  12. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012
    Where to begin.
    Sure with that image of Matt, it is clear where the inspiration for the hare came from. But no. Anakin's model is exactly like the old series.
    Matt does not have the chin-butt (so to speak). Both Anakin from 2008 and 2003 have that.
    The nose - Matt has a straight nose. Anakin from both version has a oddly-curved nose that almost looks broken.

[​IMG] Dat NOSE! :D

This is how Anakin's nose looks more like in the 2008 series

[​IMG]
    Like in the 2003 version - bent.

.... And looking at the image you gave of the old show, Obi-Wan in the 2008 TCW is inspired by the 2003 Obi-Wan too. Look at that wooden beard!

I have pointed out the differences and similarities... I rest my case! :D

cwustudent likes this.
  13. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    TCW Anakin model was probably meant to resemble Hayden's Anakin

14. Dan_Grievous_Tikkes_Fan

Sep 3, 2012

Exactly. The same thing that was meant for the 2003 Anakin from CW.

15. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
  16. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    Different styles and approaches were taken by both shows in emulating the look of the live action characters, including Anakin. In most cases I don't think one is really more accurate than the other.

spicer likes this.
  17. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Even a broken clock strikes twelve at least twice a day.

I also find it funny that most micro-series defenders use that same tired old clip over and over again as if it's representative of the entire show.

18. Mia Mesharad

Mia Mesharad Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    This is so very much not the right saying...
    And if you assess the logic of the statement, a "broken" clock that strikes twelve twice a day is, in fact, a clock that's working exactly as it should.

As opposed to the vast and well-reasoned series of arguments the micro-series detractors use? All of which, of course, amount to "It looks bad" or "Characters are too strong."

AusStig, Contessa, Ken Obi and 4 others like this.
  19. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Yeah. Should be a broken clock is right twice a day.

AusStig and Mia Mesharad like this.
  20. Arrian

Arrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 15, 2011
    I have so many clips, believe me!

Esg and Mia Mesharad like this.
  21. TaradosGon

TaradosGon Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 28, 2003
    I liked Seasons 1-4 of TCW for the most part. Disliked most of S5. And then add to that it's cancellation without any kind of conclusion to many of its characters. I probably would have a more amicable view of TCW had it been allowed to finish, instead its a miscellaneous assortment of adventures that exceedingly deviated away from the war itself and due to cancellation had too many loose ends.

The animation was getting better as time went on. The story telling went from consistently OK to either really good or abysmal. Filoni had talked about how ever since ANH when Obi-Wan made reference to "The Clone Wars" that fans wanted to see more of that, and yet he focused just as much time on random stories that had nothing to do with it. When the show was good, it was awesome. When the show failed, it failed hard.

The microseries bridges AOTC and ROTS fairly nicely, offering varied battlefields and following major events.

I by no means hated TCW and at one time I would have said I preferred it to the microseries. But I saw a lot of potential in the series that it never quite achieved and now cannot achieve given its cancellation.

AusStig and The Shadow Emperor like this.
  22. Kenobi098

Kenobi098 Jedi Knight star 1

May 8, 2013
    I think they each had there good and bad parts.

The Mirco series had some very good moments, Anakin fighting Ventress on Yavin IV, the arc troopers, the Ghost hand episode. but things like Mace on Dantooine were too jarring as he was way overpowered there. That Mace would have been able to squash Palpatine like a bug the moment Palps pulled his lightsaber from his sleeve.

TWC-Had some good story arcs and some bad ones(My favs are the the the are with 99 ,Lair of Grevious, The Ryloth Trilogy, the Episode with Dooku, Obi-wan, and Anakin are chained to each by Hondo is my fav episode ever). The animation got alot better during the season 3 rehaul of the character models. The Padme centric episodes in the early season drag, and I majored in Political Science in College and I still found them boring. The fact that in episodes were not in chronological order also was a bit of a bother.

AusStig likes this.
  23. Esg

Esg Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    Not really. It just made Sidious more formidable to me when I first watched it

Heero_Yuy likes this.
  24. vong333

vong333 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 18, 2003
    I'm sorry buddy, can't agree with you here, The action scenes in the micro were very good especially with the little time GT was given. The Clone Wars series later on had all that great backing from the different companies, GL imput into stories, all sorts of complicated crap and what did it do? It got noiminated for so many Annie's without a win, and it barely made the two emmy wins. Heck, they got those becuase the show was cancelled and people felt pitting. That and the end for Ashoka but that was it. Heck, Gilroy's comic adaption of the Slaves from Tyderria was way better than the three episode arc. The lessons of the clone wars series is that more dosen't neccessary means better.

Lets not get crazy, if the action was better in the series later on it was because the time and money that was put into it...but at the end..........its no better than any EU story, cause this does not tie into Episode 3. these are just adventures of the clone wars, battles here and there that are also inter spread in comics, video game and animation, as well as novels. Thats all buddy.

AusStig, Esg and Heero_Yuy like this.
  25. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    IMHO, which show you prefer has 100% with what type of animation you prefer.

The 2003 Clone Wars micro-series wins for me, hands down. What I liked about the 2003 series was that the animation was very innovate & unlike anything I had seen before. I found the movements very fluid & interesting.

Conversely, I do not like the blocky, Tekken-like animation for the 2008-2013 CW series; I find it very bland, fake-looking, and as uninteresting as watching cardboard cut-outs perform on screen.

AusStig likes this.