main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    I think they should reboot X-Men and have Jennifer Connelly play Storm. We can say as a baby her English parents took her on a safari when they were tragically killed. She was adopted and raised by a young Kenyan couple.

2. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    It would be better if she was white...

3. Saintheart

Saintheart Jedi Grand Master star 6

Dec 16, 2000
    And Kate Beckinsale can play Wolverine, Hugh Jackman is not of a good enough actor.

4. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    She's not too old I feel.

MrZAP and Saintheart like this.
  5. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    Well, see age is irrelevant because wolverine in the comics is immortal, so anyone of any age can play wolverine.

heels1785 , MrZAP and Ender_Sai like this.
  6. Darth_Arapsis

Darth_Arapsis Jedi Youngling star 2

May 21, 2013
    If Marvel fields an another superhero team besides the Avengers and it does well, it could make things more difficult for a potential Justice League movie.

7. Ender Sai

Feb 18, 2001
    Again, what?

and I'll add - "how"?

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  8. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I was looking over at the thread title and then I realized...what cinematic universe? There isn't one and it doesn't seem that the powers that be over at Warners are even close to creating one. They had the chance to start doing so with just one little stinger at the end of MoS. Just one. And....nothing. And no, the Waynetech references really don't count. If there is a game plan to start plowing the road towards a JL film, I'm just not seeing it yet.

9. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I think Darth_Arapsis might mean that if Guardians of the Galaxy does well at the box office (As well as the Avengers, at least), then given that most have said it's Marvel's version of the Green Lantern Corps (at least in the Marval and GOTG threads), then anything DC might do with regards to a Justice League movie, might seem to the casual movie goer at least, to be a pale imitation of anything Marvel has come out with. Especially if Avengers 2 has Thanos, given he's more or less Marvel's version of DC's Darkseid (which is the only widely known DC villian 'big enough' for a Justice League movie IMO).

10. Saintheart

Dec 16, 2000
    It isn't. At best a JL movie was a possibility floating around in Robinov's head assuming MOS got up. My most recent research says Robinov's position will be taken by a committee including mostly marketing people with Tsujihara having the lion's share of influence. Marketing people don't understand taking creative risks. Robinov, though he was apparently a swine to work for, did: Nolan asking Snyder to do MOS was a creative risk pretty much no sane businessman would have taken, but because Robinov placed huge trust in all the directors working for WB, he okayed Nolan on that choice. Now that Robinov is out, not a chance in hell. A JL movie or a Wonder Woman movie amount to taking creative risks with WB properties, which Tsujihara will be too gutless to do because he has no experience in making movies or TV alike. His choice will likely be the conservative one: run out a sequel to MOS, look at the franchise one film at a time, don't take big creative risks because the shareholders will call for his head if it goes wrong. Remember, Tsujihara is CEO of WB overall, not just head of its movie division.

11. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    A gutless CEO afraid to take risks, sitting on a potential goldmine of untapped comic book properties on par with what Disney currently has with Marvel and hesitant to touch it because he and his people are complete idiots. Oy...

If I were a WB stockholder, it'd be certainly reassuring to know that the company is in such good, capable hands. [face_plain]

12. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    If the mounting stupidity of this sub-genre isn't killed by the glut of films and its horrible conventions, placing a giant talking raccoon atop it all will certainly do so.

Saintheart likes this.
  13. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    People apparently don't mid that the superhero genre is moving into a more wacky direction. See Kickass and Iron Man.

Juliet316 and Jedi Merkurian like this.
  14. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Iron Man isn't necessarily wacky compared to the other successful Marvel film adaptations that came before like Spider-Man, Blade, and Daredevil. And Kick Ass underperformed if I remember correctly.

15. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    Yeah, the Spider-Man trilogy was almost comedic at times and I thought Kick Ass was a parody of the genre.

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  16. Darth_Arapsis

May 21, 2013
    Yeah but Stark was not really a classical hero or anything we saw before in comic book movies..

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Part of Spider-Man's schtick is humor...

18. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Spiderman tried to take itself seriously at most all points. While it often included physical humor, it tried to be very grounded in the approach to his superpowers and duties. None of it ever approached a talking raccoon.

Besides which, I would argue that the Raimi Spiderman films, much like the X-Men films are a very different species than the now typical Marvel fare. Namely, they weren't big, enormously stupid action fests that were largely devoid of plot.

19. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    I don't understand why DC's animated films are so awesome but quite a few live action films' plot is just retarded, such as Superman 3&4, old Batman 3&4, Supergirl, Catwoman and Green Lantern.

And it's just stupid to make anything but Superman&Batman, Lantern failed because the plot and choice of villain, not because of the hero is not famous.

20. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    A good superhero movie should have

Big action scenes

At least decent plot for a blockbuster film, good example: TDK bad example: Catwoman, Superman IV

A great villain, villain is very important because he/she is the one who create conflict, good example: TDK, Spider Man 2 bad example: Green Lantern

Also it's a blockbuster movie to the majority of the audience, so make sure it is a good blockbuster movie first, has big action scenes and conflicts then probably add more deeper thoughts into the story. Bad example: Superman Returns.

21. Lazy Storm Trooper

Lazy Storm Trooper Jedi Master star 4

Sep 18, 2012
    What was Superman Returns? Was it supposed to a reboot or a sequel to a movie never made?

StarWarsZombie likes this.
  22. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

It was a sequel to Superman II, ignoring the events that happened in III and IV

23. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003

Big Action Scenes: Plane save, Lex's attack on the city, Superman lifting a massive kryptonite island into space that kills most of Lex's crew (yes, he kills, even in SR- Kumar and friends).

Conflicts: First, you have Lex, who wants revenge over being thrown in prison. Then you have two conflicts within Clark. First, how he should feel about Lois' article, "Why the World Doesn't Need Superman." Second, how he should feel about Lois (and towards Richard) due to them getting together while he went back to Krypton. All three conflicts contribute to the plot substantially.

Think what you want of the movie, but it fits your stipulations.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I would love a Lobo flick. I don't think it'd be a bad idea to look at Hellboy as insirpation for a general feel.

25. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    No big villain fighting like in MoS and many movies, and we already have similar plot in the first Superman movie. It's more like a retelling of the first movie but the time is different.

I asked many people, they said they didn't pay money to see Superman lift an island rather than fight a powerful villain.

WB and DC was planning to do a sequel, but because the box office didn't reach 500m so they decided to reboot Superman.