main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Here's Some Money, Go See A Swap Thing: DCU/Elseworlds Discussion

Discussion in 'Community' started by Lazy Storm Trooper, Jul 2, 2013.

1. Slowpokeking

Slowpokeking Jedi Master star 5

Sep 21, 2012
    You started to post even before I post in this thread, don't try to use it as an excuse. And your post like this is a lot more retarded than my posts here. Also who are you to judge other's posts' quality?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  2. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    So now we're going to quibble over the definitions of "hideous" and "growl"? Whatever, man! Let me rephrase:

I like Bale's Batman voice; it makes sense to me, especially given that I myself used a similar manner of speech when reading my Batman comics aloud in the 80s and 90s. [face_party]

3. Deputy Rick Grimes

Deputy Rick Grimes Jedi Grand Master star 6

Sep 3, 2012

I liked it too, it disguises his voice so people don't know that Batman is Bruce

4. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    His voice is fine but I really don't like Bane's voice.

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    lol listen to "Hammer Smashed Face" and you'll see what I was getting at. ;)

I didn't mind the Batvoice, though when it was fused with the Batlisp it made little sense. But it's also a good way not just to show Bruce/Batman; it's a way of showing how primal the Bat is.

Don't tell me you wouldn't love to hear a Gilbert Gottfried batvoice, Merlin. I know you would.

6. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Overall DC is behind Marvel but it's not like they would never catch it. JL is much more famous than the Avengers before the movies, especially the Trinity. As long as the JL movie have a success, things will start to get much better.

The real problem still lies with DC's own flaw, beside the big ones in JL, they don't have that many famous 2nd tier heroes like Marvel, and there are different companies handling the franchise.

7. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Well, break it down. Marvel has Hulk, Thor, Cap, Iron Man. Nobody cares about anyone else, except the XMen, Blade, and Spidey, who arent involved. Ant-Man, Dr. Strange? Not known to the general public, odd choices for films.

DC has Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, and Flash. Green Lantern, Green Arrow and Aquaman could be involved, unlikely that Manhunter, Fate, Cyborg, or Supergirl warrant their own films. DC has the recognition- they just need to connect it together.

8. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Lest we forget, Iron Man was a second-tier character before the first film made him an overnight household name. The quality of the movie and the performance made that happen, and the same can happen to any so-called second-tier DC character too.

Jedi Merkurian and MrZAP like this.
  9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Just like crappy films can bring down first-tier DC characters! Wheeeeeeeeeeee... ;)

Jedi Merkurian likes this.
  10. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Yeah! Good thing MOS is a box office success loved by audiences everywhere as evidenced by its 87% positive Twitter rating! [face_beatup]

11. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think Spider Man(License issue) and the Hulk are the most famous members among the Avengers, it's not close to JL's popularity. But at the same time they got F4 and X Men so there are at least 2 big groups. DC only got JL, maybe the Watchmen but the box office is the film isn't that great. Ghost Rider and Daredevil could make good film if it was handled well.

Of course, right now DC should firstly make good films for the central figures of JL, then think about others.

Yes, but right now DC didn't even handle some of their first tier heroes' movie well. sadly.

What do you think about GL's failure? What's the biggest reason of its failure?

12. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Why do you always assume I'm talking about Superman? Stop Hodoring...

Green Lantern is a huge flop and a top-tier DC character.
    Wonder Woman can't even get off the ground on TV due to a horrible plot, characterization, etc. and is a top-tier character.

And word of mouth stopped The Dark Knight Rises from being as runaway a success as The Dark Knight though it still made lots of cash due to being the final movie after an insanely good Batman film prior. And that is a film that had far less controversy out there than Man of Steel (which I will now talk about). DC has effectively ended all of the Batman-momentum (and made it virtually impossible for Bale-Batman and Superman to exist) and recasting that, like the Hulk, is ... not as easy. So... potentially no more top-tier Batman; plus with the way TDKR caused backlash as well as the controversies online regarding MoS -- we'll see how the second Superman performs.

Marvel had a plan for taking mostly second-tier talent, turning each film into a success and then creating a franchise greater than the sum of the parts -- DC seems to have no plan and can't even get most of the first tier talent to the point of being cohesive enough to be in the same universe beyond "fan service" cameos. I'd looooooooooooooooove for there to be a viable DC universe movie series like that which Marvel put together. But DC has to, you know, be competent at putting it together.

13. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    There's so much wrong with the GL movie I wouldn't know where to begin, except to reiterate my opinion that it's a problem with the core concept of a guy with a magic ring that makes giant fists and fences and slingshots. It works great on the comics page and in animation, and it looks dumb in live action. Add to that some major missteps in pacing, a ho-hum villain and a poorly performed leading lady, and there ya go. 2-star film most of us would rather forget.

14. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    Yeah, I watched the pilot episode when I was making the video, the plot is just horrible.

I really think storywise, TDKR is the worst of the trilogy, the story is too forced compare to the previous 2, BB was a bit boring but the plot and the twist makes more sense.

15. Slowpokeking

Sep 21, 2012
    I think it didn't tell the story clear enough, and the choice of villains is bad, the big head guy does not provide any action scene, Parallax shouldn't be in the first one and was handled badly, it also doesn't provide too much action scene.

16. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    And harkening back to the old and best left buried TDKR thread, the Nolan Bat-growl is an effect caused by a device on the cowl anyways. :-B

17. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Aug 4, 2008
    Because you dislike MOS. Stop being obtuse.

We agree here. The problem with the 2010 WW show, IMO, is that the creators did no justice to her actual origin or milieu in making her an urban vigilante. That just strips the character of the mythological flavor of her adventures and all that makes her unique as an ambassador of peace from the isle of the Amazons.

I disagree with everything starting with "DC has effectively ended all of the Batman-momentum". To me it reads as negative "no-can-do" justification for a lack of imagination. Recast the role, put him in JLA without a reboot or explanation, matter resolved.

I see what you're getting at, but DC appears to be taking a different, slower, more nuanced approach.

18. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012
    There was a Wonder Woman show in 2010? wow

19. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    Never made it out of the pilot stage.

20. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Adrienne Palicki, right? Girl from Friday Night Lights, also guest starred memorably on Smallville.

21. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
  22. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    Interesting. CW also had an Aquaman pilot flop. I think the title actor ended up playing Oliver Queen on Smallville. Not to be confused with the new Oliver Queen on Arrow. Lol.

EmpireForever likes this.
  23. Deputy Rick Grimes

Sep 3, 2012

Maybe that's why i never heard of it :p

24. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Yep.

25. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    An idiotic assertion that's internally inconsistent.

So, what, Booster Gold or Blue Beetle will become Iron Man-esque stars? o_O