main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion What is your greatest hope about Episode VII?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by Pro Scoundrel , Jul 3, 2013.

1. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    Since we have the fear thread, I thought it would be nice, for the sake of balance, to have a thread for our hopes. What are the things you are most hopeful for or about? What has you the most excited? What do you think they are doing right? Let's think positive.

2. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Just to name a few things I'm excited about: Michael Arndt, Kathy Kennedy, Nina Gold, John Williams.

3. Revanfan1

Revanfan1 Force Ghost star 6

Jun 3, 2013
    My greatest hope is that it will be an amazing movie with a cast that the audience instantly latches onto, and sincerely cares what happens to them. I hope that the main character is a child of Luke and/or Han and Leia, and that they end up being nearly as popular in culture as Luke/Han/Leia were in their day.

4. Darth Chiznuk

Darth Chiznuk Superninja of Future Films star 8 Staff Member Manager

Oct 31, 2012
    Thank you Pro Scoundrel for creating a thread like this. It can get really tiring reading through all of our fears so it will be quite refreshing to read what everyone looks forward to. Let's see if I can list the things I'm excited about:

-George Lucas' treatments. I know he is moving on from the franchise but I'm so happy that he has at least laid the groundwork for this new trilogy.
    -Michael Arndt. We have a fantastic, Oscar-winning screenwriter and I can't wait to see what he has dreamed up for all of us.
    -Kathleen Kennedy. A powerhouse producer who has worked with GL numerous times and who I believe understands and respects his vision for SW.
    -A good mix of old and new blood. We have Michael Arndt, JJ Abrams, Simon Kinberg and Michael Kaplan who are new to the franchise and can give an exciting fresh perspective to the process and then we have Lawrence Kasdan, George Lucas, John Williams, Iain McCaig and Doug Chaig who can give the others the benefit of their experience.
    -The return of old heroes. Come on, how awesome will it be to see Luke, Han and Leia return to the screen after so long. Enough said.
    -New faces to join the old ones. For the first time in a long time we'll have completely new heroes who we'll have no preconceived notions about and that's really exciting.

I'm sure there are plenty of others I'll think about but this is a good start.

jaqen, Yanksfan, Jeff Zach and 15 others like this.
  5. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
  6. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    Something else I'm excited about is the fact that we have no idea what's going to happen. With the PT several things were known and we just had to see how they were going to play out. The inevitability of Anakin's fall made the story bittersweet, but also predictable. I'm glad that the universe is once again a blank slate.

7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    That it will be established that Sith is a sect, NOT an "idea" as Kreia claims.

I liked seeing HOW it all happened.

8. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    The return of John Williams is also a huge thing I'm looking forward to. To me he is the second most important person to Star Wars just behind George Lucas. I can't imagine a SW film without a Williams score. They just go hand in hand.

jaqen, klooney, black_saber and 6 others like this.
  9. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    It was interesting seeing how it went down but I am so stoked for what comes next. The ideas are endless.
    Looking forward to the first teaser trailer. It will have to be really good to top the ROTS teaser trailer though. That was perfection.

10. Episode Swag

Episode Swag Jedi Knight star 1

Jan 9, 2013
    I'm exited that we have this combination going:

George Lucas came up with the general plot (at least that is the vibe I'm getting)
    Arndt is writing the script
    Jj Abrams is directing

Remember that George did all three of these things for the prequel trilogy. Now that's a lot for one man to do alone, which I feel is what contributed to its inferiority when compared to the old trilogy. That and George's ideas and scripts were almost never challenged like they were ruthlessly in the old trilogy era. (Ie, the dude had TONS of help back in the 70's and 80's)

Pretty much what I mean is the last time we had this kind of combination was during episodes 5 and 6. And this is probably what made 5 work so well.

I'm hoping this killer combination will do the same again, and again, and again. Give us some good films team!

11. NoChesterHester

NoChesterHester Jedi Master star 1

Nov 5, 2012
    I agree with Pro Scoundrel it is so refreshing as a fan to have no idea what's in store. I am excited to be surprised.

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  12. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I did too, but I like not knowing what's next even better. :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  13. Corvax855

Corvax855 Jedi Master star 3

Jan 23, 2011
    My greatest hope for Ep7 is that it feels like a true sequel or at least distant continuation from the story of RotJ. I don't think RotJ is the best SW film, but it was my favorite growing up, and to think that we're finally getting a sequel to that is absolutely mind-blowing.

14. Circular Logic

Circular Logic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 3, 2013
    What Episode VII needs to retain is the mythological themes of the other six films, particularly the OT, that feel of epic adventure that Lucas managed to convey throughout the saga. I would like it to incorporate some elements of Joseph Campbell's Hero's Journey while giving us a new, refreshing storyline that ties together neatly with the rest of the saga. And of course, it must have some epic new music, but that's already taken care of with John Williams on board. Most of all, I want Episode VII to be truly memorable and unashamedly take its place among the pantheon of great, innovative films.

VMeran and NoChesterHester like this.
  15. Rawne

Rawne Jedi Knight star 2

Jan 2, 2008
    My greatest hope is that I'll be surprised. Like, that part in Empire Strikes Back surprised. Just something that I don't see coming at all that changes the way I think about the whole series and the characters within.

Other than that I'd really, really love it if some new planets are introduced that become as iconic as Hoth or Tatooine. The only time that happened with me in the PT was with Coruscant.

16. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    My biggest hopes are:
    -John Williams
    -Jedi Master Skywalker
    -Michael Ardnt

17. Darth Chiznuk

Oct 31, 2012
    New planets, new creatures, new spaceship designs. Something I love about new SW movies is the chance to be introduce to completely new worlds and see what their culture is like. What kind of cities do they live in, what kind of clothes do they wear, what ships do they fly, etc. I can't wait to see all this new designs appear on screen.

18. Lee_

Lee_ Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2012
    That all of the great, amazing people, elements, and resources brought to this movie will be able to mesh well (i.e. the results will equal or exceed the sum of its parts). You easily have as much of a chance of a classic as with any movie in history (the money of Disney, Arndt, Lucas's story, JJ, the Big 3, Williams, Kathleen, on and on), my hope is that the potential will be realized.

19. SookMidrub

SookMidrub Jedi Knight

Mar 18, 2009
    * Darth Vader (or the suit) comes back
    * John Williams scores
    * Mark Hamill Force communes with Hayden C.
    * Carrie Fisher and Harrison Ford (even if they're only cameos) quip with some sweet one-liners
    * New Toys
    * A new Episodic Title
    * A new love story
    * New, never-before-seen locations, vehicles, characters and aliens
    * Old locations, vehicles, characters and aliens we LOVE
    * Marketing BLITZ where Star Wars is EVERYWHERE from Target to Mom & Pop Shops
    * The feeling of a theatre audience cheering when there is a reference where only hardcore fans "get it"
    * Subtle references to the Clone Wars and entire Prequel Era
    * The trailer that hits in 2014 (next year!)
    * The novelization
    * An amazing day at the theatre when they play the I - VI marathon that builds to the midnight showing of Ep VII
    * Han and Chewie go out in a blaze of glory inside the Falcon to save the Next Generation of Jedi
    *And most importantly...the creative Genius behind this that will blow our minds with an absolutely awesome surprise that will be the cliffhanger for Ep VIII

20. Graphic

Graphic Jedi Master star 2

Nov 18, 2012
    - Chewie
    - the feeling of coming Home
    - Black suited "Samurai" Jedi
    - the sentence: "Im a Jedi, like my Grandpa before me..." (not really)

El Jedi Colombiano and Sarge like this.
  21. Darth Eddie

Darth Eddie Jedi Master star 4

May 14, 2013
    This guy, I like. Except for the part about "and Chewie" because... I like Chewie. Han would die to save Chewie, too.

And I also have a guilty-pleasure-desire for Leia to give Luke's lightsaber to her daughter and say, "Your uncle wanted you to have this when you were old enough, but your father wouldn't allow it. He was afraid you'd follow your uncle Luke on some foolish crusade - like *he* did!"

VMeran likes this.
  22. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    I hope the new trilogy will be awesome, I have faith it will be ;)

A personal hope though is that they capture the imagination of my son in the same way the OT did me.

23. Carbon1985

Carbon1985 Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 23, 2013
    -Full arcs to Luke, Leia & Han with dramatic death scenes.

-More worlds and characters with strange names that continue the SW lore.

-Leia finally gives Chewy a medal as he was snubbed in ANH!

-The thought of someday having a 9 story SW saga to watch on Bluray.

KED12345 and VMeran like this.
  24. Sarge

Sarge Chosen One star 10

Oct 4, 1998
    I hope the big three have real roles to play in the story, and I hope that all the characters are as likable as the PT characters weren't.

YoureNotJonesy and Yanksfan like this.
  25. El Jedi Colombiano

El Jedi Colombiano Chosen One star 6

Jun 24, 2013
    I like your optimism

Seeing a film that takes risks, is bold, and unlike anything we have ever seen before, while still being an authentic addition to the Star Wars universe. We have Luke back, in a personality that is Luke himself, but also shares a more ''elderly wisdom'' from the likes of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Qui-Gon Jinn. Leia and Han Solo are back, R2 and C3PO are back, Chewie is back and maybe Lando can wave by and say hello. We see an interesting new generation of heroes, similar but unlike what we have seen before. We see back Coruscant, and see a universe similar to how it was in the PT. We see the Jedi Temple back, we see a universe that is happier and more enlightened, due to the balance in the force.

We see an interesting new set of villains, that can manage to bring something new to the game, and that aren't Sith Lords. We see the films deal with new issues, in particular the moral and philosophical problems George Lucas has mentioned of before. George Lucas has input in the film, says what could and could not be done, and hopefully Arndt and Abrams tell a faithful story. Disney doesn't stick their stupid thumb were they shouldn't and we have a great film.

MODified: Merged 2 posts. El Jedi Colombiano this is absolutely the last time a Moderator will ask you to stop doing multiple posts in a row. Next time, it will result in a 24 hour time out. Thank you for your cooperation.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.