main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Gaming Aliens, Hunters, Pirates & Justin Bailey: Metroid [General Discussion]

Discussion in 'Community' started by darklordoftech, Jul 2, 2013.

1. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    Dagobahsystem likes this.
  2. Corellian_Outrider

Corellian_Outrider Former FanForce Admin star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 9, 2002
    The original NES title or the games in general?

I have played the majority of the games in the series, including the original NES one and overallit is one of my favourite series.

We did have an active thread running for it but it has gone dormant for a while.

3. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    The whole IP. I want to discuss the origin of the Space Pirates, Ridley, Kraid, and Mother Brain.

4. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    Metroid Prime and Super Metroid are some of the best experiences I've had, Zelda and Metroid are my favorite Nintendo franchises and worth buying a console by default IMO.

Dagobahsystem and darklordoftech like this.
  5. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    I couldn't agree more. The only thing I like more than Zelda is Star Wars.

Anyway, am I the only one who's pissed that Zebes got destroyed?

6. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    (Edit time ran out).

Does anyone else believe that there are two Metroid timelines that go as follows?

1. Original -> Return of Samus -> Super -> Other M -> Fusion'

2. Zero Mission -> Prime games

7. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    (Again, edit time ran out.)

I want to learn about the original Ridley's larval life.

8. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Until they unveil an alternative timeline similar to Zelda, for the moment they are keeping everything within the same timeline.

From memory, the Prime Saga takes place between Metroid/Zero Mission and Metroid II: The Return of Samus. Super Metroid, Other M and Fusion followed afterwards.

EDIT: As for the original Ridley's origins, there is no official information prior to his involvement with the Space Pirates.... yet, Who knows where the next game will be set in the timeline and it's possible it shares the same 'universe' as the F-Zero and Star Fox. It is a vast galaxy.

9. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    It's much easier to imagine Star Fox and F-Zero crossing over with each other (both are silly and haven't had a new game in forever) than either crossing over with Metroid (which is serious and just had a new game in 2010).

10. TrandoJedi

TrandoJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 4, 2011
    I could see Metroid and F-Zero being in the same universe, StarFox? Maybe, but StarFox seems to filled with soley humanoid animals while F-Zero has humanoid species of all times that I think could fit into Metroid and vice-versa.

11. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    I can't remember where but I've read that F-Zero and Star Fox both share the same universe and technology (Gravity Diffuser systems, etc).

The anthropomorphic animals of Star Fox are native to the Lylat System and possibly the surrounding systems... The Galactic Federation from Metroid is a larger entity made up from numerous sentient species and systems (not just humans). Prime example are the Chozo which are the avian humanoids whom raised Samus so there isn't that much of a stretch to connect them.

Regarding the future of the series, in a recent interview, with Kensuke Tanabe, he did say that they are looking into expanding the Metroid Universe and not just focus solely on Samus. They did open things up with Corruption and the ability to to travel to different worlds and the Metroid Blast feature in NintendoLand did allow you to control the gunship in a combat situation... maybe they will build upon those for the next one. I wonder which direction they will go for.. whether first or third person... or hybrid

12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    link?

13. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Here's the link to one of the site that reported on it.

The interview was done during E3, after the reveal of Donkey Kong Country: Tropic Freeze as Retro's upcoming title.

14. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    How about playing as a Chozo?

15. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    I'd rather not play as a Chozo- they're supposed to be the semi-ancient, extinct species of the series mythology (despite the oddness of the necessity of having them pass away within Samus's lifespan). The less use they get, the more mysterious and powerful they seem(ed).

Nah, we'd gone there twice already, and have basically mimicked it's environments in several other games. No need to go back there a third time. ANd it brings a finality to things that forces the story to move forward (though, not having played Other M yet, I can't comment on the effect there).

How recent a series has had an entry has no bearing on the validity of it's story and the possible connections therein.

And I'm not sure I'd call F-Zero silly- it's seemingly influenced by anime, and Metroid has largely been fleshed out by mangas up until relatively recently.

Star Fox, though, would feel a bit too different for a "serious" crossover (though one must admit that their team up moments in Smash Bros were pretty badass). Perhaps I'm being biased by the original TV commercials, but I always saw Star Fox as more of a sci-fi Jim Henson movie with a dash of Star Wars, while Metroid is clearly influenced by Alien.

(and no worries about using this as a general discussion thread- that older thread linked to earlier was specifically for Metroid Prime 1. We had separate threads for the sequels, etc.)

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    They're not any more extinct than Egyptians are. Ancient Chozo built the statues. Modern Chozo raised Samus.
    Other M and Fusion (the only post-Destruction of Zebes games) take place on space stations that recreate Zebes and have clones of Zebes lifeforms.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I knew about Fusion's station (really need to finish that game) and its environments. Even that's kinda retreading things a but much.

(However, going back to SR-388 could be interesting)

I'd just like them to move the story forward instead of revolving things around the same 2 or 3 planets over and over (despite my previous comment ;)).

I mean, by time you hit Metroid 4, Samus is a human who is part Chozo, Metroid & X Virus that has been exposed to Phazon and fulfilled world saving prophecies. What the hell can she do next, ya know?

18. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002

They could take the next step further, change the formula somewhat and shed the burden of the past... it is prologue after all (sorry, had to add that :p )

I hope they do make good on expanding her universe and making her a part of something much larger. I remember reading that Retro had wanted to let Samus carry out her occupation as Bounty Hunter for the Federation while still following true to the path the Chozo had laid out before her. At the moment, she seems to be a 'troubleshooter' for special assignments, like MacGyver for the Phoenix Foundation ... except MacGyver doesn't use guns.. only his intellect and... you get the idea.

On a side note, and probably been discussed before, but I wonder why they had cut out Jennifer Hale's dialogue for Samus in the first Prime game and the decision to not make the most of her voice talents for Corruption.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Have you heard of Hyrule Historia, The2ndQuest? I think there should also be a Zebes Historia.

20. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I have a copy on my shelf :)

It would be nice to have such a book for Metroid, yes.

darklordoftech likes this.
  21. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Yup. Find out how Prime 3 leads to Return of Samus! Deal with Prime/Zero Mission/Other M inconsistencies!

22. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    Since there was not much done to celebrate the 25th Anniversary of Metroid (same year as Zelda), I wonder if we will get something for the upcoming 30th.

In the meantime, there is a possibility of GameTrailers doing a Timeline special on the series which would weave the lore together... much like they had done with The Legend of Zelda and Kingdom Hearts.

darklordoftech likes this.
  23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    That'd be nice- though the timeline of Metroid events is much less in question, it'd still be nice to have such a quality overview. Their Retrospective series was quite good.

24. Life

Life Jedi Master star 3

Sep 4, 2012
    Bump

Corellian_Outrider likes this.
  25. Corellian_Outrider

Mar 9, 2002
    That was nicely done. Does make me wonder where they will take her and how she will be like after the events of Fusion.